Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part VII: Shake Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
TricksJews

Who would you like them to try & aquire with the pieces they have.

Good players who can grow with the team. Easy peasy. :laugh:

Honestly though, I don't know enough about who is available around the league. I'd like to see them acquire a player who is, or has the upside to be a gritty, in your face 3rd liner who can chip in 15 goals a year, hit, and scrap. I'd like to see them add a puck moving defender who can really skate and can run the PP. I'd like to see them add a 4th line heavyweight who isn't a total liability on the ice. And I think they really need a scoring center with size. Not necessarily a franchise guy, but someone who can drive the net and hold onto the puck in the corners.

Jake Gardiner. I think he would be a great target. I also like Kulikov in Florida. I think he's been bitten by the losing bug and his game has suffered. He could use a mentor who plays a similar game. He has the same skillset McDonagh has. Great skater, can really move the puck, and is very strong. The problem is, I don't know if McDonagh is ready to take on the role of a mentor yet.

Up front, I was on the Brayden Schenn wagon, but I think that ship sailed if it ever did in fact exist.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I guess you forget how Nash, Richards, and Gaborik were going to form an unstoppable line...

Theorize all you want about what could happen, the reality of the situation is that relying on a player who hasn't proven he can produce as a first line talent consistently to do just that at a price tag of 5m or more is a recipe for disaster.

He's also shooting at like 22% which is well above his career average and in Stamkos territory, which unless you're totally daft you'll realize isn't indicative of Grabo as a player. He's over achieving. Doesn't make him a bad player, doesn't make him a messiah either.

Considering the fact he's 7 years older than Stepan taking past production into account is relevant.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So you're plan to re-tool this team is to fleece other GMs with trades? I wouldn't exactly consider that a good contingency plan. Although, with Glen, who knows. He's certainly done it in the past.

Also, ask Columbus fans if they think Dubinsky and Anisimov are "average." A lot of them consider Dubinsky the future captain. When I say "very good" I'm not just speaking of points on the stat sheet. Dubinsky is a heart and soul guy and Anisimov is a very responsible 2 way center with a lot of offensive upside. We also gave up our 1st, obviously. I don't have an affinity with Grabovski; I'd rather just sign guys for nothing but cap space as opposed to trading 1sts and proven roster players that fit the system for offensive talent. To each his/her own

Did I say that was my plan? McDonagh wasn't a stud in the making when we got him. He was a player the Habs had lost faith in and we got him on the cheap. That's not a fleecing. That's good scouting by our staff. That can be done again.

Wearing a letter doesn't make you an above average player. Dubinsky is what he is. A guy who gives it all, but takes plenty of dumb penalties and is incredibly inconsistent offensively. Loved Artie while he was here, but a guy can only carry the "offensive upside" tag for so long before you have to realize he's probably never going to reach it. Frankly, the 1st round pick is the only thing I regret losing in that deal. Nash is a vastly superior player to Dubinsky and Anisimov, and Erixon can't crack the lineup.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Honestly though, I don't know enough about who is available around the league. I'd like to see them acquire a player who is, or has the upside to be a gritty, in your face 3rd liner who can chip in 15 goals a year, hit, and scrap. I'd like to see them add a puck moving defender who can really skate and can run the PP. I'd like to see them add a 4th line heavyweight who isn't a total liability on the ice. And I think they really need a scoring center with size. Not necessarily a franchise guy, but someone who can drive the net and hold onto the puck in the corners.

Jake Gardiner. I think he would be a great target. I also like Kulikov in Florida. I think he's been bitten by the losing bug and his game has suffered. He could use a mentor who plays a similar game. He has the same skillset McDonagh has. Great skater, can really move the puck, and is very strong. The problem is, I don't know if McDonagh is ready to take on the role of a mentor yet.

Up front, I was on the Brayden Schenn wagon, but I think that ship sailed if it ever did in fact exist.

Pretty much sums up what I think this team needs as well. I would put a mean, in-your-face d-man but I think McIlrath fits that bill.

Colorado has code McLeod who can actually play the game and drop the gloves. I wonder if he would be available.

This team is just Charmin Soft.

Punxrocknyc19*

Pretty much sums up what I think this team needs as well. I would put a mean, in-your-face d-man but I think McIlrath fits that bill.

Colorado has code McLeod who can actually play the game and drop the gloves. I wonder if he would be available.

This team is just Charmin Soft.

id love McLeod but considering he just got the "A" maybe he stays.. one player that id love is his teammate, Jamie McGinn

what would it take for McGinn to be on the Rabgers,, more gritty, physical and 3rd 4th liner that can score 10-15. i cant recall the last time a Ranger did that while playing on the bottom lines.. Boyle's 1 20 goal season was just a streak of luck..

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Did I say that was my plan? McDonagh wasn't a stud in the making when we got him. He was a player the Habs had lost faith in and we got him on the cheap. That's not a fleecing. That's good scouting by our staff. That can be done again.

Wearing a letter doesn't make you an above average player. Dubinsky is what he is. A guy who gives it all, but takes plenty of dumb penalties and is incredibly inconsistent offensively. Loved Artie while he was here, but a guy can only carry the "offensive upside" tag for so long before you have to realize he's probably never going to reach it. Frankly, the 1st round pick is the only thing I regret losing in that deal. Nash is a vastly superior player to Dubinsky and Anisimov, and Erixon can't crack the lineup.

Did you explicitly state that as your strategy? No, of course not. But you implied it by referencing 3 or 4 other total fleece jobs that those respective GMs pulled out of their behinds. Like I said, can't rely on that as the contingency plan to rebuilding this team.

Who replaces Richards' production when he's bought out next year? Serious question. Preferably someone that doesn't cost us important assets..

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If there was a guy that I would want to take over the Captains C for the Rangers, that player would be David Backes.

Solid defensively, very good offensive player. Physical and a damn good Captain.

Highly doubt the Blues move him anytime soon, but if we are looking for guys that can change the momentum of a game with acts and not words, then he would be a good guy to have.

The NHL doesn't have that player that possesses the total package of skill, physicality and defensive awareness. Have to be willing to get short-changed in one aspect.

To me, David Backes would be great captain to have and I think he's going to get the C for Team USA at the olympics this year.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Did you explicitly state that as your strategy? No, of course not. But you implied it by referencing 3 or 4 other total fleece jobs that those respective GMs pulled out of their behinds. Like I said, can't rely on that as the contingency plan to rebuilding this team.

Who replaces Richards' production when he's bought out next year? Serious question. Preferably someone that doesn't cost us important assets..

Joe Thornton

Punxrocknyc19*

If there was a guy that I would want to take over the Captains C for the Rangers, that player would be David Backes.

Solid defensively, very good offensive player. Physical and a damn good Captain.

Highly doubt the Blues move him anytime soon, but if we are looking for guys that can change the momentum of a game with acts and not words, then he would be a good guy to have.

The NHL doesn't have that player that possesses the total package of skill, physicality and defensive awareness. Have to be willing to get short-changed in one aspect.

To me, David Backes would be great captain to have and I think he's going to get the C for Team USA at the olympics this year.

Backes and TJ Oshie are 2 players id love if they were on the Rangers...im starting to think that this is the year Callahan is on the quick decline. if he still playing at the age of 32-35 ill be shocked.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Backes and TJ Oshie are 2 players id love if they were on the Rangers...im starting to think that this is the year Callahan is on the quick decline. if he still playing at the age of 32-35 ill be shocked.

He'll likely be collecting a large check from the Rangers

Punxrocknyc19*

This free agency talk needs more Joe Thornton:sarcasm:

i can see it now Rangers sign Joe Thornton to a 4 year deal with partial no trade clause :help:

"the Rangers made it easy for the decision that i wanted to make. seeing one of my close friends on this team here made me make up my mind early into the summer"

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
UFA's I would take a hard look at:
Vanek
Moulson
Thornton
Marleau
Stastny
Phaneuf
Cammalleri
Callahan*
Bolland
Steen
Girardi*
Stralman*
Vrbata
Grabovski
Ott
Goc
Bollig
Reaves

I'd be okay moving MDZ and Brassard this season and trading Callahan, Boyle and Girardi as pending UFA's. I realize that's a lot of turnover but the team needs it...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You implied it was a once in a lifetime kind of thing. All I did was illustrate that it's not.

When you handcuff someone with "answer this, but answer it in the way I want you to", the conversation isn't going to go anywhere. Trading HAS to be an option. Period. If you want to have a discussion strictly about signing UFA's, then I'm not your huckleberry. I've long been a staunch detractor of building a team with hired guns.

You're also operating under the assumption that I think we need to replace Richards' production next year. I don't think we have to. I think this team could take a step back to take several steps forward. If that means a transition year, so be it.

Punxrocknyc19*

UFA's I would take a hard look at:
Vanek
Moulson
Thornton
Marleau
Stastny
Phaneuf
Cammalleri
Callahan*
Bolland
Steen
Girardi*
Stralman*
Vrbata
Grabovski
Ott
Goc
Bollig
Reaves

I'd be okay moving MDZ and Brassard this season and trading Callahan, Boyle and Girardi as pending UFA's. I realize that's a lot of turnover but the team needs it...

id love Bolland on this team.. Rangers should talk about trading or signing players from winning cultures.. not singing a bunch of UFA from teams that have stunk while those players were their.. Rangers need a better mentality and they also need players that have won before.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Honestly though, I don't know enough about who is available around the league. I'd like to see them acquire a player who is, or has the upside to be a gritty, in your face 3rd liner who can chip in 15 goals a year, hit, and scrap. I'd like to see them add a puck moving defender who can really skate and can run the PP. I'd like to see them add a 4th line heavyweight who isn't a total liability on the ice.
Would like to find a way to get Marcus Foligno and Cody McCormick in the same deal. Fits both the 15 g 3rd liner and 4th liner that can play a bit. Gardiner would be a good get on the blue line.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
id love Bolland on this team.. Rangers should talk about trading or signing players from winning cultures.. not singing a bunch of UFA from teams that have stunk while those players were their.. Rangers need a better mentality and they also need players that have won before.

David Bolland can barely skate. We already have a skating issue at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad