Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part VI: Do Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's worth noting that there are quite a few 2nd line type of players that are currently on expiring deals.

Setoguchi
Downie
Stastny
Michalek
Steen (1st liner right now, really)
Grabovski
Roy
Moulson
Vrbata
J Jokinen

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Like I stated in the other thread, I would get behind a retooling of this roster. They have some pieces they should keep (Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin, Moore, McDonagh, Staal) but they also have quite a few pieces that could return a lot of assets that they could use to help build a stronger foundation.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's worth noting that there are quite a few 2nd line type of players that are currently on expiring deals.

Setoguchi
Downie
Stastny
Michalek
Grabovski
Roy
Moulson
Vrbata
J Jokinen

Specifically, who are the centers we can be looking at? Anyone that isn't on that list? Potential trade targets? They need a better center.

Trade Brassard, Callahan, and Girardi. Get the quality pieces back. Keep Del Zotto.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ha

To be fair, I'm not sure if Jokinen's success this season is purely a result of who he plays with or if he's back to the player that was putting up basically the same numbers (51 per 82) before the lockout.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Setoguchi
Downie
Stastny
Michalek
Grabovski
Roy
Moulson
Vrbata
J Jokinen

That entire list to me, is really more of the same. Build a 2nd line around 2 of those players and the Rangers are still treading water. I like some more than others...but they are all mediocre/ok complementary players. Hardly the kind of players the Rangers should be throwing UFA contracts at.

Like if they are shedding Callahan to pay Michalek, ultimately what's the point?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Setoguchi
Downie
Stastny
Michalek
Grabovski
Roy
Moulson
Vrbata
J Jokinen

I'd look at Moulson and Stastny but I am sure they will make beaucoup money as UFA's.

Punxrocknyc19*

That entire list to me, is really more of the same. Build a 2nd line around 2 of those players and the Rangers are still treading water. I like some more than others...but they are all mediocre/ok complementary players. Hardly the kind of players the Rangers should be throwing UFA contracts at.

Like if they are shedding Callahan to pay Michalek, ultimately what's the point?

like paying Pyatt and Asham to the same total contract and not signing Prust...

same type of situation..

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm not advocating building around those guys. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't shed Callahan for it anyway. It's more about what to do with the bulk of Richards' buyout money, which isn't going to be used for raises. Likely, they'll be able to afford the raises and a $4-5m player. There are a lot of routes you could go with this kind of thing. If we're looking at a major retool, the players are out there to help achieve it.

Honestly, I wanted the Rangers to bring in one of those type of players rather than trading for Nash. To me, they can be invaluable in terms of stabilizing a roster. Nearly all of them are still in their 20s. It's a modest type of signing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Pyatt (3.1 million) + Asham (2 million) =/= Prust (10 million)

2 years each for 4 year of Prust. Now they have to replace those (2) with other players. Overall, I am pretty sure they will come out about even.

I would make Ryan Reaves a priority if he reaches UFA. He can fight and intimidate via hitting. Has some offense, not much, but a good soldier for the 4th line.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To clarify, I never liked the Asham signing. I wanted to replace Prust with Daniel Winnik.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Until this organization commits to a philosophy every offseason signing will be more or less what they have been all along — blindly throwing darts at the dart board.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Stastny will re-sign in Colorado, or the Leafs will find a way to throw a bunch of money at him.

I don't think Setoguchi would be a terrible option as a 2nd liner. He's streaky, but he's still averaged a 24 goal pace over his career. That's perfectly acceptable if he's the 3rd best guy on the 2nd line.

Assuming you deal Girardi and/or Callahan, both players would return some nice pieces that would probably fit into this lineup. You might not have to shop the UFA market for 2nd liners at all.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
If we trade Callahan, Boyle, Brassard, or Girardi, it might be our best bet to try to grab someone from a contending team in the West looking to grab one player to push them over the edge heading into the playoffs. Maybe grab a young guy that's playing on a third line that could be a potential second liner for us. Or a D-Man that's on a third pairing. Maybe not even a young guy but a guy with a decent contract moving forward.

Chicago: Andrew Shaw, Brandon Pirri, Brandon Saad, Nick Leddy
St. Louis: Vladimir Sobotka, Roman Polak
Colorado: Tyson Barrie, Cody McLeod, Jamie McGinn
Minnesota: Marco Scandella, Justin Fontaine, Nino Niederreiter
San Jose: Jason Demers, Matt Irwin, James Sheppard
Anaheim: Ben Lovejoy, Sami Vatanen, Alex Grant, Kyle Palmieri, Mathieu Perreault, Emerson Etem
Los Angeles: Linden Vey, Jordan Nolan, Matt Frattin, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez
Phoenix: Lauri Korpikoski, Rob Klinkhammer, Kyle Chipchura, David Schlemko, David Runblad

I'm sure a lot of these guys aren't available but I bet you can snag one of them that will turn out to be a pretty good player for us. It's just a matter of finding the right one. You definitely would want to have a good contract come back and I think all of these guys are on good deals.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think Stastny will re-sign in Colorado, or the Leafs will find a way to throw a bunch of money at him.

I don't think Setoguchi would be a terrible option as a 2nd liner. He's streaky, but he's still averaged a 24 goal pace over his career. That's perfectly acceptable if he's the 3rd best guy on the 2nd line.

Assuming you deal Girardi and/or Callahan, both players would return some nice pieces that would probably fit into this lineup. You might not have to shop the UFA market for 2nd liners at all.

I'm open to trading Girardi if we can get a guy like Kevin Klein on this squad. Just a solid RHD. Dealing Girardi without adding a RHD is a bad move. I'm sure you know that though, just adding it in.

Also open to dealing Callahan, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm open to trading Girardi if we can get a guy like Kevin Klein on this squad. Just a solid RHD. Dealing Girardi without adding a RHD is a bad move. I'm sure you know that though, just adding it in.

I have been wondering about this. With McDonagh's emergence as a real #1 defenseman, do we really need a 1st pair caliber defenseman to play with him? I mean, for example Chara plays with Seidenberg. While I like Seidenberg a lot, he's not really a 1st pair guy. If you have a 2nd pair defenseman playing with McDonagh, are we really going to take THAT big of a hit?

And keep in mind, I've been advocating against moving Girardi for a while. I'm just thinking in terms of this idea of using our expiring deals in a major retool. Kevin Klein would look fine on McDonagh's right, the way McD has been playing this season. It's worth the thought.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I have been wondering about this. With McDonagh's emergence as a real #1 defenseman, do we really need a 1st pair caliber defenseman to play with him? I mean, for example Chara plays with Seidenberg. While I like Seidenberg a lot, he's not really a 1st pair guy. If you have a 2nd pair defenseman playing with McDonagh, are we really going to take THAT big of a hit?

And keep in mind, I've been advocating against moving Girardi for a while. I'm just thinking in terms of this idea of using our expiring deals in a major retool. Kevin Klein would look fine on McDonagh's right, the way McD has been playing this season. It's worth the thought.

Now we just have to find a way to add Hornqvist or Forsberg along with Klein, and we're golden :)

Would also love to add a kid like Rundblad. Young, offensive minded RHD. He's having trouble getting minutes in PHX...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about these:

To TB:
Dan Girardi + Ryan Bourque/Andrew Yogan

To NYR:
Brett Connolly + Radko Gudas

To SJ:
Ryan Callahan

To NYR:
Matt Nieto + 1st '14

To MON:
Brian Boyle

To NYR:
Dalton Thrower + MON 2nd '14

Roster until the end of the season:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-Zuccarello
Nieto-Brassard-Connolly
Pyatt-Moore-Dorsett
Pouliot

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-Gudas
Del Zotto-Moore/Falk

Adds size and youth the line-up now and moving forward.

Gudas provides a big, mean defensive d-man.

Nieto would fit the Ranger speed mold to a 'T' at forward.

Connolly provides size, speed and scoring ability on the wing moving forward.

Thrower is a bit of a project who has a great head on his shoulders and is a natural leader. Undersized d-man who likes to throw the body a lot.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009

I am super curious to see how Stralman would look next to McDonagh but we've been using him with Staal (and frankly I think Stralman has been carrying that tandem like McDonagh has been carrying Girardi). If you trade Girardi and get back a young RHD who can move the puck, you can move Stralman up.

With how good Stralman has been in this new system, I would advocate locking him up. He's kind of flying under the radar and would probably come on a pretty good, if not great, deal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

My own opinion is that if you move Girardi, you should move Callahan. Callahan would be the real value piece on the market and could probably get you a return that would offset the loss of Girardi. Vice-versa for moving Girardi. I.e., move Cally for a defender and a forward prospect, then move Girardi for a scoring forward and a defensive prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad