Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
REVa3VL.gif

good ****ing lord

Some people just need to complain

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I gave him credit for acquiring Talbot, which along with Larsson significantly improved the goals against, but even the Talbot trade was partially Sather doing a favour for his old team. There's also no way the Oilers make the playoffs without McDavid, Draisaitl, and Klefbom breaking out, pieces already in place before Chiarelli arrived.

The only person who I know said that the Islanders wouldn't trade Hamonic for Hall was Arthur Staples who is a known hack. If he somehow was connected though, the fact that Chiarelli offered Hall for Hamonic is highly alarming and thank god Garth Snow didn't fleece him for the umpteenth time.

the 2 extra UFA years does not make up for a 28 million dollar difference.

The Benoit Pouliot buyout saved approximately 2.7 million in cap space. With our current 8.3 million available that would've left us with 5.6 million pre-Pouliot buyout. McDavid, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, and Slepyshev max combined performance bonuses eat up around 6.2 million. There were much easier ways to make up that 0.6 million than taking on 1.3 million dead cap for the next 4 seasons (for example, not handing Kris Russell that millstone contract).
You left out Nurse on you bonus tally. You also need to add in a cushion for injuries. This could easily amount to another $1M+ over the course of the season. Plus the buyout happened before McDavid signed. That deal could have been higher.

That said I wonder if it could have been possible to move Pouliot with a bit of a sweetener (2019 5th) and maybe something like $750K retained. Looking at Vegas' roster I don't see how he could not have been a solid option for them. But I assume Chia tried and could not get a taker.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm very concerned with having Chiarelli as a GM. Yeah blah blah first time in playoffs in over a decade, but how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl? Sure he has made some good moves like Talbot, Maroon, and Kassian, but besides Talbot, most of his moves are either low impact depth moves, failure to extract value (Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome), and moves that set the team back significantly (Reinhart trade).

The guys just doesn't seem to have patience and caves easily to other GMs'/players' demands instead of waiting for better offers or negotiating proper figures on contracts. I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson. His abysmal cap management skills is even more alarming considering we'll be a cap team for the foreseeable future. Seriously. does every player have pictures of Chiarelli naked or something? How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million? And the sad thing is Draisaitl's contract is one of the more stomachable ones, at least he's going to be a franchise cornerstone. Handing out idiotic contracts like Kris Russell 4x4, Milan Lucic 6x7, complete with NMCs, then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.

Peter Chiarelli is a significantly better GM than Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish. But that doesn't make him a good GM. Instead of blindingly defending his moves, we need to consider if he's the right guy for the job moving forward.

PS. If he signs Chris "worst player on worst 4th line in the league last year" Kelly and cuts into the minutes of our developing players, I'm going to be very annoyed.

(sigh) I thought we were past this Hall/Larsson thing already when it was blatantly obvious that Larsson played an important role in the turnaround last season. It's kind of unbelievable (annoying) that people are still harping on that trade.
Wingers like Hall don't return premiums. See Kessel and Nash trades for reference.

Besides the Reinhart trade, some slight overpays (the Russell signing was a little mindboggling though) and botching up the backup goalie situation (which didn't hurt the team anyway), I don't understand all the complaining. The team just made the playoffs for the first time in a decade, almost made the Conference Finals and have perhaps the brightest future of any team in the league and all some people do is complain. People were even complaining about the way he speaks. Really? Why can't you people just enjoy the good team that Chia has built. Criticism is fine but some of this stuff is way over the top.

Chia isn't perfect and he's not a top 5 GM but he's done a lot more good than bad for this team and has the bad even hurt the team at all? Maybe eventually with some cap casualties but as of right now, most of his moves have paid off. The Lucic and Russell contracts could be problematic down the line, that's my one big concern, but cross that bridge when we get to it. As of now, those guys are key contributors.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I'm very concerned with having Chiarelli as a GM. Yeah blah blah first time in playoffs in over a decade, but how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl? Sure he has made some good moves like Talbot, Maroon, and Kassian, but besides Talbot, most of his moves are either low impact depth moves, failure to extract value (Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome), and moves that set the team back significantly (Reinhart trade).

The guys just doesn't seem to have patience and caves easily to other GMs'/players' demands instead of waiting for better offers or negotiating proper figures on contracts. I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson. His abysmal cap management skills is even more alarming considering we'll be a cap team for the foreseeable future. Seriously. does every player have pictures of Chiarelli naked or something? How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million? And the sad thing is Draisaitl's contract is one of the more stomachable ones, at least he's going to be a franchise cornerstone. Handing out idiotic contracts like Kris Russell 4x4, Milan Lucic 6x7, complete with NMCs, then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.

Peter Chiarelli is a significantly better GM than Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish. But that doesn't make him a good GM. Instead of blindingly defending his moves, we need to consider if he's the right guy for the job moving forward.

PS. If he signs Chris "worst player on worst 4th line in the league last year" Kelly and cuts into the minutes of our developing players, I'm going to be very annoyed.

:deadhorse

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You know what? You complainers are right. Let's just fire Chiarelli and McLellan then hire a GM that you complainers think is better and a coach you guys think is better. Because you know, changing coaches and GM will make the team 10x better, but wait, didn't we change them like 6 times already and nothing worked? What, oh what, should we do? I know! Complain some more. That'll make me feel better... :shakehead

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Absolutely no possibility Winnipeg thinks about trading him. I called from draft day that Scheifele would become the more impactful player of the two.

Then again, Scheifele was a bit off the board from what I remember. He had the tools but they felt he wasn't a Top 10 pick. So good on you if you knew this before, but not many thought that of him. That's for sure.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm worried we're in the "plateau" stage, or in otherwords the "Washington Capitals" stage.

Why not go all in this year?

I don't disagree, but that's a little easier said then done, because he has to balance the future with the present, the reality that the team's best players are under 25 helps me not worry about that as much, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad