Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread Part VI: Gaborik for Peanuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Seriously, what are the odds Malkin gets to FA? Malkin is one of only 3 or 4 players in the league that are worth 10 Million+

Does he want to re-sign in PIT or go somewhere and be the guy? I'm not sure he'll leave the Penguins but if he does he's the guy we need to throw a ton of money for.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
i'd be wary of handing out tons of dough and committing long-term to a UFA russian with some injury history. obviously he's one of the best players in the game today, but the long run risk/reward isn't as great as most people would think.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I second that notion .
Buyout Beaver Brad . He can stock his closet with pastel polos , fill his soft belly with PEI mussels and Wine and golf on the east end on someone else's dollar . Guy has the stamina of a 41 yr old

Sometimes I wonder if we replaced both[Gabby&BR] with slightly lesser named guys...but who had better work habits....we might be better off offensively and possibly a lot harder to play against ?

Vidic15*

I say trade boyle get what you can i think a 2-3 rounder is possible. and try to get stastny bet stastny miller and Steps i think that is a solid lineup down the middle.

of course the obligatory buyout richards.

Stastny has another year 6.6 cap hit. No thanks.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
i'd be wary of handing out tons of dough and committing long-term to a UFA russian with some injury history. obviously he's one of the best players in the game today, but the long run risk/reward isn't as great as most people would think.

What does him being Russian have to do with anything? He plays a very North American style of game. He's the 2nd best player in the world today. And pretty much every player in the league has some injury history.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The KHL offered Kovalchuk a great deal too. He stayed.

The NHL won't let Malkin leave. He is one of the three best players in the league.

If I were NYR, and Malkin made it to UFA at the end of next season, I would offer ten years, 95 million dollars. Would coincide with Gaborik's contract expiring, Richards possible buyout, and a bunch of other contract ends.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

The NHL won't let Malkin leave. He is one of the three best players in the league.

If I were NYR, and Malkin made it to UFA at the end of next season, I would offer ten years, 95 million dollars. Would coincide with Gaborik's contract expiring, Richards possible buyout, and a bunch of other contract ends.

Kreider-Malkin-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Miller-Lindberg-Fast
x-x-x

That is a scary top 9 if Kreider and Fast reach their potential

Can't offer 10 years though, 8 year limit and 7 for signing with a new team. Pittsburgh won't sign and trade to us, so we'd have to offer something like 7 years 10.5 per year. Takes him to 35. That's market value for a guy like Malkin. It'd be tough.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd be very, very surprised to see Malkin hit UFA. The Pens aren't going to want to lose him, they'll offer him an absurd contract. Say what you will about being "the guy" but that team wins and is set to win for a long time with him and Sid. I doubt wanting to be "the guy" overshadows the desire to win.

Getz is out and now people need a new unrealistic guy in their sights to justify getting rid of whoever they don't like on NYR currently.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
Now you guys are talking about Malkin? Sweet jesus, how unrealistic can some of you be?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

We can only offer 7 years.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Would not play Malkin with Nash.

Both are more effective with the puck on their stick. I'd put Callahan with Malkin - I honestly think he could turn Cally into a 35 goal scorer. Callahan has good hands around the net, and Malkin gets the puck to the net.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
What if the KHL offers 15 Million a season...just throwing that out there . What did they give Radulov...who could not carry Malkin's jock ? They really will be going after him IMO . He already has a Cup...and the way things are these days...winning the 2nd one is a lot harder and from the looks of that Penguin team...they are a long ways from another one . He will head home for the dough .

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
Rangers should make a run at Injured Stephen Weiss. Find a way to trade for his rights without using a roster player and have him ready to go for next season. Solidifies the middle in a big way for next season. Makes Richards buyout more realistic, get him for cheaper than if he were playing this season.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Rangers should make a run at Injured Stephen Weiss. Find a way to trade for his rights without using a roster player and have him ready to go for next season. Solidifies the middle in a big way for next season. Makes Richards buyout more realistic, get him for cheaper than if he were playing this season.

No thanks, he's going to get in excess of $6M AAV on the open market. We have Richards, Stepan, and Miller at center. I'm happy with that group moving forward.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i could see Malkin getting 7 years and upwards of 80-90m. why should he take less than inferior players that hit the market the past couple of seasons?

Drewbackatu*

I just don't see how this team can keep him without seriously handcuffing ourselves financially. Assuming Richards isn't bought out anyway, but what would be the point? The best UFA center on the market just re-signed for more money than we could have even hoped to have offered.

I'm a big fan of Gaborik and I'd hate to see the guy go, but he's the odd man out here. Nash and Callahan are our top-six RW's, and keeping McDonagh, Stepan, and Hagelin while maintaining some semblance of cap flexibility is absolutely vital.

Good post and right on the money.

Drewbackatu*

Sometimes I wonder if we replaced both[Gabby&BR] with slightly lesser named guys...but who had better work habits....we might be better off offensively and possibly a lot harder to play against ?

That is an excellent point.

Drewbackatu*

The way I see it, without the big star there we share it more and are urged to get it in at all costs rather than give it to them always

Look, every team needs it share of elite level talent(hate lumping Ritchie and Gabby into this category because they're not anymore) but honestly, we need to replace that type of talent with younger, bigger bodied types in order to be more competitive with some of the other teams(ex: Bruins, Pens, Devils, etcetera)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Would not play Malkin with Nash.

Both are more effective with the puck on their stick. I'd put Callahan with Malkin - I honestly think he could turn Cally into a 35 goal scorer. Callahan has good hands around the net, and Malkin gets the puck to the net.

Ummm... how about we pull off the miracle and sign Malkin before we worry about his potential line mates ;-)

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Ummm... how about we pull off the miracle and sign Malkin before we worry about his potential line mates ;-)

First it was Drury and Gomez, then Redden, then Gaborik, then it was Richards, then Nash, now the savior is Malkin? How about we win with this team and stop worrying about the next big white hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad