Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XX: Let's make it to XXX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's why if San Jose is going to offer the most if they include Havlat, you do it. He can play now and having him for only one year at that price isn't the worst thing.

I'd be very leery of Havlat. If he was a pending FA, then maybe I'd consider it, but at $5M next season it's a tough pill to swallow. That much money for a guy who is made of glass is rough.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be very leery of Havlat. If he was a pending FA, then maybe I'd consider it, but at $5M next season it's a tough pill to swallow. That much money for a guy who is made of glass is rough.
I would consider Callahan at half-price for Havlat at 65% plus a lot of other assets. Would be 3.25M cap hit for next season.

The Guppie*

I think Slats finds a way to get both Callahan and Girardi signed, I don't think either are dealt leading up to or at the trade deadline. These guys don't grow on trees, and I still believe we can win with them. I think we get both signed at some point.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would consider Callahan at half-price for Havlat at 65% plus a lot of other assets. Would be 3.25M cap hit for next season.

Would really depend on what the other assets are. They don't have a ton in terms of prospects that would really get me fired up about a deal. Hamilton is a possibility, Tennyson is okay, and Abeltshauser is an interesting one as well, but are they good enough to be the centerpiece of a deal for Callahan? Not so sure. Doubt Nieto is on the table at all.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't want Havlat. But if it gets Nieto and a first and "does the Sharks a favor" and allows them to make another deal (add Mike Green?) you do it. One year of part time Havlat for a first and Nieto under control for 6-8 years. No brainer.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Would really depend on what the other assets are. They don't have a ton in terms of prospects that would really get me fired up about a deal. Hamilton is a possibility, Tennyson is okay, and Abeltshauser is an interesting one as well, but are they good enough to be the centerpiece of a deal for Callahan? Not so sure. Doubt Nieto is on the table at all.
What if it's their 1st and 3rd this year?

The Guppie*

I wouldn't touch Havlat with a 10 foot pole. He seems near done. He will never be able to stay healthy enough to be consistently reliable.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Havlat has a very similar ESP/GP rate as Callahan in the past three season. This season it's higher. That's what he would be asked to replace.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Havlat has a very similar ESP/GP rate as Callahan in the past three season. This season it's higher. That's what he would be asked to replace.

Havlat also played 56 fewer regular season games than Callahan in that time frame. Similar ES scoring rates are all well and good, but what's the use if it's for 33% fewer games?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Want nothing to do with Havlat.

There are players that are made of glass, Havlat is made of broken glass.

You sneeze in this guys direction and he liable to strain something.

Talented no doubt but he's worse than Gaborik with the injruy risks.

PASS.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Havlat also played 56 fewer regular season games than Callahan in that time frame. Similar ES scoring rates are all well and good, but what's the use if it's for 33% fewer games?
Well I think the hope would be that extra 33% can be covered by Fast/Miller/Kristo. Many people are willing to trade Callahan with no NHL replacement coming back, so I don't see why Havlat's durability would be a prime concern.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So, have there been any actual rumors of late? Or is it all just idle speculation and random rumors of other players being available?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Well I think the hope would be that extra 33% can be covered by Fast/Miller/Kristo. Many people are willing to trade Callahan with no NHL replacement coming back, so I don't see why Havlat's durability would be a prime concern.

Cap issues and roster spot.

I'd prefer no tangible assets and picks ONLY if the choice was Havlat+ or Picks

Give me full time 3rd line winger of Kristo and the cap hit that he brings along with the picks associated with a Callahan trade over Havlat and any picks that he accompanies.

SJ will place a value on Havlat. I see negative value there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

If they're filling in for Havlat, then I doubt they'd make up the difference. At least not this season. If they're on the roster in their own right, then we'd be counting on a set of players to fill the production of one guy. I feel like we could fill that gap with a better player, either as part of the trade, or via another trade or free agency.

There's also the issue of paying a significant amount of money to an oft-injured player, which is one of the reasons Callahan is being shopped in the first place.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If they're filling in for Havlat, then I doubt they'd make up the difference. At least not this season. If they're on the roster in their own right, then we'd be counting on a set of players to fill the production of one guy. I feel like we could fill that gap with a better player, either as part of the trade, or via another trade or free agency.

There's also the issue of paying a significant amount of money to an oft-injured player, which is one of the reasons Callahan is being shopped in the first place.
I'd gladly pay Callahan, injuries and all, next season. Not till he's 35 though.

Punxrocknyc19*

anyone else counting down till the summer of 2016 till Backes and Oshie both are UFA :yo:. id love if Sather and Rangers management can find a way to sign both players on July 1 2016 as a package deal like with Gomez and Drury .... Oshie will be 30 and Backes 32.

i bet both Oshie and Backes resign while they trade Berglund although Oshie and Backes will be UFA for the 1st time and try to take advantage of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad