Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXIX: Down To The Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobcat

Feb 23, 2014
on nhl network they were saying price tag for kesler was centerman around 25 1st rd pick an depth forwards

u wouldnt do brassard cally/hags and a 1st for kesler?

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Maybe a team will swoop in and offer a Clowe-type of deal? I would take that. We overpaid for Clowe and I'm sure someone would overpay for Callahan.

I just have a feeling I'm going to vomit all over my laptop in the next 48 hours...Anything north of 4/4.7 I can't get behind. Callahan is a 3rd liner that should be paid 3 million. The fact that Sather is even indulging Callahan and his agent makes me nauseous.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
on nhl network they were saying price tag for kesler was centerman around 25 1st rd pick an depth forwards

Brassard, Callahan and a first...well, my view is a little warped right now because I want Callahan out at all costs in order to prevent his re-signing

Jan 8, 2012
NY
XXX here we come!

Which fits perfectly, because we're all about to be ****ed if Callahan is signed.

Seriously, 6x6 is already approaching extreme overpayment. Sather says he won't budge off that? I call bs. Rangers need to do the right thing and trade him.

Blueblood 2

Jul 7, 2006

I would not trade Brassard. He has the skills Cally only dreams of. The team going forward has to be shaped in AV's vision, whether we like it or not. I think he values skill.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It really sucks that I am typing this.

But I can only hold out hope that this is all some dog and pony show from Sather to stem the tide of negative public opinion from trading the Captain during a potential playoff run. "We budged but he was too unreasonable". Callahan's camp doing their part as well to fill the narrative. "We came way down but just couldn't leave THAT much on that table", knowing that Cally's heart was set on a huge Buffalo deal he knew would be there.

Of course, the most likely scenario is that the Rangers will not do ANYTHING to hamper this "playoff run" aka risk playoff revenue. Maybe sign, maybe hold & walk.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

I would do Brassard+Callahan+3rd for Kesler+2nd or something along those lines.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It really sucks that I am typing this.

But I can only hold out hope that this is all some dog and pony show from Sather to stem the tide of negative public opinion from trading the Captain during a potential playoff run. "We budged but he was too unreasonable". Callahan's camp doing their part as well to fill the narrative. "We came way down but just couldn't leave THAT much on that table", knowing that Cally's heart was set on a huge Buffalo deal he knew would be there.

Of course, the most likely scenario is that the Rangers will not do ANYTHING to hamper this "playoff run" aka risk playoff revenue. Maybe sign, maybe hold & walk.

What's really strange is that supposedly Callahan softened on his demands prior to the Olympic break, but nothing was reported until today. The timing for all of this to leak out seems very strange to me. Part of me wonders if this means the talks have stalled once again, and that Callahan's camp leaked the numbers to try and say "Look how much we moved!"

Then again, the other part of me is just preparing for Sather to hand out another blank check to a FA.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
not so sure Vancouver would take 2 UFAs to be for Kesler. Torts is going to want his boy D-Step instead of Brassard which is probably a no-go for a lot of you.

Morbid curiosity. What would Vancouver have to add to Kesler if we sent Stepan + Callahan?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What's really strange is that supposedly Callahan softened on his demands prior to the Olympic break, but nothing was reported until today. The timing for all of this to leak out seems very strange to me. Part of me wonders if this means the talks have stalled once again, and that Callahan's camp leaked the numbers to try and say "Look how much we moved!"

Then again, the other part of me is just preparing for Sather to hand out another blank check to a FA.

That's a really good point on timing, had not considered that.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The trade deadline isn't even over for Buffalo, and they project to be 20 million under the salary cap floor next season.

Let's hope Ryan Callahan's camp is willing to go UFA, as there is one hell of a blank check awaiting upstate.

AHB*

Ryan Kesler is a shell. This isn't the 40 goal scorer Kesler, this is an oft-injured guy with a ton of wear and tear.

Just so you're aware, he's outscoring Brassard by a whopping 3 whole points this year.

Kesler is not the answer here. We need long-term solutions. Getting rid of Cally and trading the farm for Kesler or Spezza or someone of the like is counter-intuitive and more of the same old.

Bring in young blood or don't make moves. Easy as that. I'm sick of this being a retirement home for older players to have fun, eat well, make good money and mack hot women.

St. Louis wants to come here to ****ing retire. That's pathetic. I want this team young and hungry. These geezers who want 6 million to come and play for us and not stay healthy can go do that **** in Buffalo.

Young blood or bust. No more deteriorated has beens.

Seriously, Kesler is a fine player, but do people actually watch him, at all? This guy isn't a commanding #1C. He's a shell #2 at best. He's on par with Brassard and Stepan but is better at faceoffs.

I'm not paying a 1st rounder AND Callahan for a guy who has a few more intangibles then our younger and healthier center in Brassard.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Ryan Kesler is a shell. This isn't the 40 goal scorer Kesler, this is an oft-injured guy with a ton of wear and tear.

Just so you're aware, he's outscoring Brassard by a whopping 3 whole points this year.

Kesler is not the answer here. We need long-term solutions. Getting rid of Cally and trading the farm for Kesler or Spezza or someone of the like is counter-intuitive and more of the same old.

Bring in young blood or don't make moves. Easy as that. I'm sick of this being a retirement home for older players to have fun, eat well, make good money and mack hot women.

St. Louis wants to come here to ****ing retire. That's pathetic. I want this team young and hungry. These geezers who want 6 million to come and play for us and not stay healthy can go do that **** in Buffalo.

Young blood or bust. No more deteriorated has beens.

Seriously, Kesler is a fine player, but do people actually watch him, at all? This guy isn't a commanding #1C. He's a shell #2 at best. He's on par with Brassard and Stepan but is better at faceoffs.

I'm not paying a 1st rounder AND Callahan for a guy who has a few more intangibles then our younger and healthier center in Brassard.

I agree with most, but I don't understand your point on St. Louis. The guy is productive and plays much younger than he is. He would also be a huge influence on our younger players. If he doesn't get traded here, I bet he signs a Naslund-esque deal in a couple of years.

Blueblood 2

Jul 7, 2006

We have a new coach and this is the first shot he has at shaping the team going forward. He certainly has input. Does anyone think he has been in awe of Cally's puck skills? This situation is the perfect cover to move on without taking blame. I do not underestimate the clout he has and should have, with the future make up of this squad. We are talking a 6 year contract here. My guess is he wants to move on and Sather should oblige.

sexton11

Nov 30, 2011
Vancouver Island
I agree with most, but I don't understand your point on St. Louis. The guy is productive and plays much younger than he is. He would also be a huge influence on our younger players. If he doesn't get traded here, I bet he signs a Naslund-esque deal in a couple of years.

I agree. St. Louis has too much pride to be a mail-it-in retiree.

AHB*

I don't want to trade guys for St. Louis. Callahan straight up, I guess, but I'd prefer we leveraged him for picks and prospects.

Bringing in a 39 year old, even like St. Louis, unless it's for nearly free, is stupid.

He's inevitably going to decline soon. I'd prefer not to see that happen in a Rangers uniform.

If he's cheap, sure. But i'm not trading assets for this guy. That's not how you build a winner. I've said it a thousand times and this weekend was further proof, we are not yet contenders and getting St. Louis, in my opinion, does not make us one.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Am 50/50 on Spezza. He would fit in pretty well, IMO but, then again, he's starting to move closer to the end of his prime, and he has injury concerns.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
I've already steeled myself to Stoneahands resigning for that 6x6 AND Sad Brad not getting kicked in the arse and sent on his way in July.

Cigarface does it again!!

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Maybe a team will swoop in and offer a Clowe-type of deal? I would take that. We overpaid for Clowe and I'm sure someone would overpay for Callahan.

I just have a feeling I'm going to vomit all over my laptop in the next 48 hours...Anything north of 4/4.7 I can't get behind. Callahan is a 3rd liner that should be paid 3 million. The fact that Sather is even indulging Callahan and his agent makes me nauseous.

Couldn't have said it better myself... His market value is so disgustingly far from his actual value that it's a certainty that whomever takes him on will regret it. Drury 2.0, mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad