Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Robinson, Stortini, 7th to SJ for Wingels

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
They took dead money and paid the majority of his last high dollar year .Before we traded for him so in a sense they retained up front

Sure but the reason it took so long to trade him was teams wanted the Leafs to retain a good part Detroit wanted 35%.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Big fan of this move. I think if we make the playoffs, Wingels is a guy who can put up good minutes, shut down, and pot some clutch goals along the way.

EDIT: Actually seeing what sharks fans have to say, he might be a shadow of the player I remember from a few years ago. Aw well low risk decent reward.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Shark fan scouting report on Wingels:

He hasn't been as good as he can be for the last couple years. Maybe it was something about the current coaching staff, and maybe the change of scenery will re-energize him. He can score a bit (2 seasons of ~15 goals and ~35 points) but lately he hasn't. He can play an aggressive, hitting, buzzsaw game, but lately he hasn't. Stylistically he's gotten away from himself being a rambunctious energy guy who gets points by getting his hands dirty near the net. Maybe it's also because it tends to cost him games lost due to injury. Who knows.

It kind of makes sense the Sharks would move on from him because they need to clear roster space for guys coming off the IR and seem to have found a different suitable bottom-6 forward to do Wingels' job for cheaper in Ryan Carpenter. Plus the guys the Sharks get from you go to the Barracuda where their forward corps has been thinned out by the promotion of several prospects, and the Sharks get some cap relief and a little more wiggle room so that they don't have to stream guys on the AHL shuttle on off-days to save money

Seems like a sort of relative win-win trade for both sides. You get a potentially decent NHLer for a song, and the Sharks get the financial flexibility and AHL depth they needed to stabilize their roster situation without having to pay the other size to take a dead weight contract or something like that.

I hope Wingels rebounds for you. He's fun to watch when he plays like he can

Fair enough. I hope he rebounds obviously, but that makes some sense for SJ.

Oct 10, 2010
We won the deal no question as the players we gave up aren't NHLers. But i'm not sure why some are so excited.

Nothing " great" about this move at all.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm pleased with the trade. I've been a fan of Wingels for a few years. He has the ability to be a real good energy guy. He cost very little too, which is always nice. I wonder if this is a move meant to replace someone destined for a trade out of town, like maybe Lazar.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
This trade reduces Sens contracts to 47 out of 50. Also, maybe this opens up the possibility of trading Lazar. Maybe some teams hold him in high regard still.

Too bad Wingel couldn't make it in time for tonight, SJ is in Winnipeg for a game tonight, it's only a couple hours flight.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also FWIW, Wingels has and can play either wing. He's played some C too, but I don't recommend it outside of emergency situations.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
(I don't want to actually do this, but) I'll eat my shorts if Neil is benched.

xx.png

Stay Hungry

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Preferably not, but I don't think I have to worry.

When was the last time Neil was benched? Do people really see him being put in the press box?

Lazar, yeah, Neil...don't see it. Same with Kelly.

Would not be popular but maybe trade Neil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad