Speculation: Trade Proposals Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Apparently Colorado is trying to get a deal done for O'Reilly(C), the Habs & Bergevin will be interested in pursuing him. Sakic says they want a good defenceman in return. Holland may deal Anthony Mantha(RW)a through and through Hab fan, maybe Montreal will find an interesting deal for him. Detroit is trying to get Mantha to play a PWF game, which isn't his game he's more of the playmaking type with a great shot. Definitely both these players are more the offence creative types necessary going into the deeper rounds of the playoffs, which is the bottom line for the Montreal Canadiens & their fans. So keep your eyes and ears focused on these rumors in the next ten days, leading up to the Entry Draft.:nod: Have to wonder how a line with McCarron at center between Mantha & Galchenyuk would be to defend against for opposing teams? Or Pacioretty with Galchenyuk @ center with Mantha on RW.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Apparently Colorado is trying to get a deal done for O'Reilly(C), the Habs & Bergevin will be interested in pursuing him. Sakic says they want a good defenceman in return. Holland may deal Anthony Mantha(RW)a through and through Hab fan, maybe Montreal will find an interesting deal for him. Detroit is trying to get Mantha to play a PWF game, which isn't his game he's more of the playmaking type with a great shot. Definitely both these players are more the offence creative types necessary going into the deeper rounds of the playoffs, which is the bottom line for the Montreal Canadiens & their fans. So keep your eyes and ears focused on these rumors in the next ten days, leading up to the Entry Draft.:nod:

all this needs a source.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A few years ago the Habs had a lot of defensive prospects: Ryan Oh Burned, Nicklas Torp, Ryan McDonagh, Yannick Weber, David Fischer and PK Subban. I said our defense is going to improve soon .... and people said to me "none of those guys is a sure thing", and i said "sure, but there are so many of them."

I was right, if you roll a die you only have a 33% chance of getting five or six. But if you roll it six times ... you expect to get five or six twice.

Npw look at our forward prospects now: Andrighetto, Hudon, McCarron, Reway, Scherbak, Lehkonen ... it is certainly the case that none of those guys is a sure thing ... but we have six of them, so i think our offense is going to improve real soon, from internal development. Not necessarily this year, but definitely by the 2017 playoffs.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1st + Gilbert

for

Mantha

7438412.gif

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I'd be happy with O'Reilly. He's the kind of player that a team needs to win in the playoffs. His outstanding defensive ability may also allow the Habs to confidently play skilled players that are weaker defensively (rookies) without serious repercussions. He's also a versatile forward, he does fine playing at LW.

Not sure about the cost, but I'd be very happy if he were acquired.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'd be happy with O'Reilly. He's the kind of player that a team needs to win in the playoffs. His outstanding defensive ability may also allow the Habs to confidently play skilled players that are weaker defensively (rookies) without serious repercussions. He's also a versatile forward, he does fine playing at LW.

Not sure about the cost, but I'd be very happy if he were acquired.

Beaulieu+ or the Avs tell us to sod off.

I would rather sod off, personally. But we have nothing else Colorado would realistically want.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
A 1st + Eller would be all I'd be willing to pay. Colorado would be better to draft a LD with their pick and they will still need a top 9 centre.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Miller Time

What?
Just bc bargainbin (love that name) has been unable to do anything to improve the roster at skill positions, should not lead the team to taking on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Kessel would be a terrible addition to this roster ion his current contract if we got him on waivers, let alone actually trading anything of value for him.

Yes, he's got great shooting ability & acceleration... But with a mindset & lack of professionalism like his, the cliff will be early & steep... This past season a nice taste of what's to come sooner than later.

Heatley 2.0.

Trading for him would have been a bad mistake... But that's a far cry from calling for more grinders.

Heck, I'm all for going after a guy like Semin (provided Pap & DD went the other way & salary was retained on his 7M cap hit)...
Or going aggressive on guys like Oshie, Frolik, Yakupov et.

Gambling to add offensive talent (and force Therrien's hand a bit) is EXACTLY what bargainbin SHOULD do this off season

Saddly, more grinders or washed up late career vets is more likely given his m.o

This ridiculous rhetoric needs to stop. Kessel is a 35+ goal scorer and PPG player. In what universe does that not warrant 8M, let alone make it "one of the worst contracts in the league"? Bluntly stated, that is complete idiocy. Dislike Kessel all you want, but he contract doesn't even come close to bad.

Kessel: 275pts - 294gp
Kane: 254pts - 259gp
Ovie: 281pts - 285gps

All three have been criticised for having a perceived attitude and refusing to play defense. Kessel is set to make less than both, yet his point totals are comparable. I suppose Kane/Ovie's contracts are just dreadful, yes?

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2012/02/26/a-chance-encounter-with-brian-burke/

Read this article and get back to me about his horrible lack of professionism.

So you would prefer to acquire an overpaid, actually declining Semin, than a PPG Kessel because of your baseless assumptions? There really isn't anything more to say after that. It's surreal how underrated Kessel is. :shakehead

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
A 1st + Eller would be all I'd be willing to pay. Colorado would be better to draft a LD with their pick and they will still need a top 9 centre.

a 1st + DD + Gilbert plus a middling prospect

You're picking up a center
you have to get rid of one

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
The only people who don't want Kessel on this team (ignoring the cost) are the ones who blindly hate the leafs, or who don't understand hockey.

Kessel is a fantastic player and if he was put in a role where he didn't need to carry his team he would excel. He's young too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The only people who don't want Kessel on this team (ignoring the cost) are the ones who blindly hate the leafs, or who don't understand hockey.

Kessel is a fantastic player and if he was put in a role where he didn't need to carry his team he would excel. He's young too.

Ignoring the cost?

Is Toronto going tp send us Kessel with 100% salary retention for a seventh rounder?

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Bergevin you need some size this off season Eric Fehr would be a good player to go after 6'4 he is a UFA could add some depth scoring.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

False.

We don't want Kessel because we know it will cost us Scherbak + McCarron + DLR + and were not ready to give the farm for him.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It's possible, but still an assumption on your part.

How many times have Kane or Ovechkin been traded? There's something about Kessel that motivates teams to move him.

I'm not sure what it is, but that can't be good.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
This ridiculous rhetoric needs to stop. Kessel is a 35+ goal scorer and PPG player. In what universe does that not warrant 8M, let alone make it "one of the worst contracts in the league"? Bluntly stated, that is complete idiocy. Dislike Kessel all you want, but he contract doesn't even come close to bad.

Kessel: 275pts - 294gp
Kane: 254pts - 259gp
Ovie: 281pts - 285gps

All three have been criticised for having a perceived attitude and refusing to play defense. Kessel is set to make less than both, yet his point totals are comparable. I suppose Kane/Ovie's contracts are just dreadful, yes?

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2012/02/26/a-chance-encounter-with-brian-burke/

Read this article and get back to me about his horrible lack of professionism.

So you would prefer to acquire an overpaid, actually declining Semin, than a PPG Kessel because of your baseless assumptions? There really isn't anything more to say after that. It's surreal how underrated Kessel is. :shakehead

Thank you.

For me it's pretty simple. We have a cup window for the next 4-5 years where Price and Subban will be on their prime. The D is also set. All we need is a legitimate goal scorer to spread our offense and create a good top 6. If the Leafs want only prospect and pick, Kessel would HELP OUR TEAM IMMEDIATELY for the next 4-5 years that could make us contender. Who cares about his contract in 5 years, we'll see then, the window is NOW and the upcoming years. We need to fill a hole and Kessel is that guy.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Enough of the Kessel joke.
Guy is a bum.
Get over it.
HE IS A BUM!
Move the hell on already.
No one in Montreal, management, player, or fan, wants this lazy overpaid bum in the most historic jersey in hockey.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It's possible, but still an assumption on your part.

How many times have Kane or Ovechkin been traded? There's something about Kessel that motivates teams to move him.

I'm not sure what it is, but that can't be good.

Uh Kessel has been trade one time more than Kane or OV. What's your point?

If the Leafs never liked him, he wouldn't get a 8M$ contract.

I guess you wouldn't want to trade for Seguin or Rick Nash or Hossa.. there's must been something wrong with them because they were traded from their team right?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Uh Kessel has been trade one time more than Kane or OV. What's your point?

If the Leafs never liked him, he wouldn't get a 8M$ contract.

I guess you wouldn't want to trade for Seguin or Rick Nash or Hossa.. there's must been something wrong with them because they were traded from their team right?

Well we're assuming that Toronto is dying to trade him again, because the most reliable media pundits have repeated it.

So it's twice in a very productive and relatively short career.

It's uncommon for a player of his notable skill. May not be a level 1 contamination alert, but still highly pertinent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad