Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread v4 - Trade or No Trade Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Don't shoot the messenger, but Eklund is floating the idea that the Habs and Avs may be discussing a Subban for MacKinnon deal. Now, I don't believe this for a second, but it's fun to discuss the implications of such a move.

He says MacKinnon is the kind of player we've been "craving for a very long time". While I would agree with that, would you be ready to give Subban up for him?

I'm going with an emphatic no, because unless Beaulieu is ready to step in right now and fill an important role on this team (which I don't believe he is), then we'd really expose our D. Not to mention that giving up on Subban could be a Roy-esque blunder in the long-run if MacKinnon doesn't become any better than a 2nd line player.

What do you think?

For anyone interested in reading more about this, it's over at HockeyBuzz. I won't link out of principle, because this is clearly hit-motivated rumor-mongering. ;)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If someone delivered a bag of poop I'd considering shooting them. Just saying. :sarcasm:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
No.

We'd get better at the forward position while making a huge huge hole on the back. Teams like Boston and LA have shown that you do not need all star forwards to win, just good depth. At the same time, you can't win without a premier defenseman imo. Look at all the recent cup winners: Chara, Doughty, Lidstrom, Pronger-Neidermayer, Keith-Seabrook on defense. The only team that doesn't fit is Pittsburgh as I don't feel Letang is the same class. However, when you have to generation talents up front, you can get away without having a top 10 all-around D-man, provided you have decent defensive depth.

We have no one close to replacing Subban in the system, Markov is getting older. We'd set the team back for a few years with such a trade.

Like LG said early in the off-season...the team is not far from being a contender. It just needs another top 4 D-man and a top 6 winger who can get his nose dirty (doesn't have to be the biggest player). This should have been addressed in july. Bergevin is making a mistake if he's trying to look for a splash like this at this point.

Last edited:

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Hell no. Mackinnon hasn't proven anything. We have our Mackinnon in Galchenyuk. We just have to give him time. I'd rather Subban and Galchenyuk than Galchenyuk and Mackinnon.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
We trade Subban for MacKinnon and then we trade Galchenyuk for Drouin and we trade Eller+ Beaulieu+ 1st round pick for a #1 d-man.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
nope. We have enough young talent up front that we need to develop. Chuckie may be an equal to Mckinnon in terms of talent. We're well rounded in terms of (future?) stars. Chucky and Patches up front, Subban and Markov at the point and Price in net. We also have a good 2nd tier player mix with Eller, Plek, Gallagher, Desharnais (yes...although IMO he is a movable asset), Gorges, Emelin. we need to keep this core intact and just keep adding pieces that will provide grit and energy and focus on developing young talent. If McCarron pans out...we could be in for a real treat. And that's not naming the other studs we have in juniors

Last edited:

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
Voted yes but it would have to be Mackinnon ++ for Subban +, can't see a one for one like this ever going down, really doesn't happen any more in today's NHL

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
(...) but Eklund is floating the idea that the Habs and Avs may be discussing a Subban for MacKinnon deal. ;)

What was this site's fake rumor mongering rule, again? :sarcasm:

Threads based on Eklund are several notches below this site's pop-up ads. Can we move on to more plausible contingencies? Why do we need a poll on this? :laugh:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
i could of swore people were bringin up "subban and our 1st (3rd overall) for huberdeau or nail yakupov" last year...

the amount of times i facepalmed hurt my head

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Why would the Avs take MacKinnon over Jones, then trade MacKinnon for Subban?

And why would the Habs trade their Norris winner and future captain for an 18 year old?

MacKinnon could become an elite forward, but Subban is already an elite defenseman. And Galchenyuk could become an elite forward. So this trade doesn't really make any sense.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
NO !

PK is worth a lot more than only Mackinnon at this point.

For a package including Mackinnon ? Maybe, but, Habs would then need an established top pairing D. You don't deal those for a rookie forward, unless grossly overpaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad