Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread - The Crucial Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Guys like Jenner and Coyle are probably available for picks and prospects because of the expansion draft. Not only is Galchenyuk a massive overpayment, it actually doesn't really help the other teams unless it's a 2 or 3 for 1 deal.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Last year we heard all sorts of rumours, rumblings and opinions on whether or not Subban would be traded. I didn't believe them and thought is was just typical media trying to create a story. Sure enough it did actually happen. Now this year we are getting a repeat with Galchenyuk. I will be very surprised if he is not traded. Seeing as MB is doing the dealing, I would assume we will get older and probably worse as a result of whatever trade he does involving Galchenyuk. Regardless, a center must come back in the deal.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
It's going to be really hard for the Habs to acquire Mikko Koivu, Claude Giroux, Brandon Dubinsky, Jason Spezza and Ryan Kesler all while just giving up Alex Galchenyuk.

:laugh:

I think all those names are very likely candidates for a Glachenyuk trade. Still good but old, past their prime and declining.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Last year we heard all sorts of rumours, rumblings and opinions on whether or not Subban would be traded. I didn't believe them and thought is was just typical media trying to create a story. Sure enough it did actually happen. Now this year we are getting a repeat with Galchenyuk. I will be very surprised if he is not traded. Seeing as MB is doing the dealing, I would assume we will get older and probably worse as a result of whatever trade he does involving Galchenyuk. Regardless, a center must come back in the deal.

Is anyone here believing if Bergevin put Weber on the market or on the market at the trade deadline he wouldn't get a ransom from someone?

I mean , I got trouble with people saying he got ripped...

There are teams out there today who would give Bergy a ton for Weber.

Heck the Bruins could get a load for Chara even at 40 ...

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
"Massive failure" is a gross exaggeration of the trade. I don't think the Habs were ever winners in this deal because they made a trade that was based on things unrelated performance on the ice. So any gain made from this trade, wouldn't come in the form of on-ice performance.

But to say it's a "massive failure" is pushing it.

We traded a franchise defenseman entering his prime for an aging, worse, defenseman that is exiting his prime.Weber is still an effective defenseman, but we did not get nearly enough for our franchise D man. Personally, I'd say that's a massive failure. Differing opinions on that obviously.

Maybe...but considering most were convinced Desharnais was on the brink of signing an 8yr extension, I'd say it had more consequence than what you're suggesting here.

He wasn't on the verge of signing that extension though, let alone any extension. That's like saying me stepping on an ant was a lot more consequential than it sounds because a cult of basket weaving tin foil hatters believed that ant was the antichrist.

Just because they believed that, didn't make it reality. You and me both know those DD tin foilers were talking nonesense.

The Lehkonen we saw in September and the Lehkonen who finished the playoffs as our best forward, IMO, was completely different. I'd argue he did a fair bit of 'developing' here in North America WITH the Habs.

Okay? I agree. That's not what was being argued though. We were talking about Bergevin's additions. Lehkonen was a good addition, but it's not like Bergevin had anything to do with his development. He was a draft pick that rose through the ranks. Bergevin played very little role in Lehkonen's case as compared to other aquisions.

For the record, Lehkonen is awesome. Love him. He's a top 6 forward IMO. But it's not like MB traded for him or even signed him as a UFA. Trades and signings of impact players are how Bergevin must improve the team this summer. I don't see the aquision of Lehkonen as evidence in favour of Bergevin's ability to do either of those things.

Stop minimizing the trade because it's not convenient to your argument...3rd liner or not, this was a fantastic trade.

I said it was a good deal. He is a third liner. Not sure what else you want here man. My argument was that third line aquisions are not what is going to propel the Habs into contender status, and those deals are mostly what Bergevin has done so far.

I'm not sure you understand what is being argued here. I think you just saw me criticising Bergevin and thought I was dumping on this additions? Not sure. I'm not arguing that these were bad moves or that they weren't good moves at all. Some of his moves have been really good. I'm explaining my reasoning for having low optimism about Bergevin's ability to acquire the impact players that are needed to propel the Habs into contender status.

Danault and Byron are great players, but they are not the kind of impact players Bergevin has to target this summer. I look at MBs trade history and besides 30 or so games of Vanek, I don't see too much for Top 6 forwards via the trade route.

Again, more dishonest arguments...Paul Byron was a waiver pick up, he's rewarded MB's faith with 33 goals and 61pts in 143 games spread over 2 seasons.

For a waiver pickup...

I mean come on...

I'm not sure what's dishonest about what I said. I said it was a good addition. Again, I see him as a high end 3rd liner on a contending team.

That's fair...Bergevin doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt here. I may be more optimistic than you are but only because I'm that way by nature.

Nothing wrong with that. If everyone shared the same opinion this place would be boring as hell.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I beleive we need 2 good Centers. I'm thinking MB wants C that can win faceoffs and put up 50-60 points.

I know this wouldn't happen
but ... Something around

Galchenyuk for Duchene

Sergachev for O'reilly

void

Jan 5, 2006
There's no way Bergevin is dumb enough to trade Galchenyuk for Koivu, right?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Trades I would make if I was in MB'S chair

Gallagher for Eberle

galchenyuk+2nd for Duchene

Sergachev+beaulieu+1st for Patrick. If OEL would made available, I would offer a big package for him and fix top 6 later on.

Pac-Duchene-Radulov
Lehkonen-Patrick-Eberle

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I beleive we need 2 good Centers. I'm thinking MB wants C that can win faceoffs and put up 50-60 points.

I know this wouldn't happen
but ... Something around

Galchenyuk for Duchene

Sergachev for O'reilly

My problem with Duchene , he got no real playoff exp.....8 games worth.

Habs needs players who actually have shown they can produce points(goals) in the playoffs....period. Preferably GOALS....

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Trades I would make if I was in MB'S chair

Gallagher for Eberle

galchenyuk+2nd for Duchene

Sergachev+beaulieu+1st for Patrick. If OEL would made available, I would offer a big package for him and fix top 6 later on.

Pac-Duchene-Radulov
Lehkonen-Patrick-Eberle

No thanks on Eberle and that package isn't getting Patrick.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
We traded a franchise defenseman entering his prime for an aging, worse, defenseman that is exiting his prime.Weber is still an effective defenseman, but we did not get nearly enough for our franchise D man. Personally, I'd say that's a massive failure. Differing opinions on that obviously.

I don't think other GM's valued PK that much. EDM passed on PK and VAN said the cost was really high and didn't pursue any further.

That 9 Million cap hit wrongly or rightly scared a ton of teams away. If it was up to MB Drai+Boom would be Habs today not Weber. We can speculate what he wanted from VAN but I think it probably included Horvat (since he asked for Drai).

MB got boxed in a corner in the end and did a 1D for 1D swap but last year before his NMC kicked in PK's value was not that high across the league.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think other GM's valued PK that much. EDM passed on PK and VAN said the cost was really high and didn't pursue any further.

That 9 Million cap hit wrongly or rightly scared a ton of teams away. If it was up to MB Drai+Boom would be Habs today not Weber. We can speculate what he wanted from VAN but I think it probably included Horvat (since he asked for Drai).

MB got boxed in a corner in the end and did a 1D for 1D swap but last year before his NMC kicked in PK's value was not that high across the league.

Offer Weber to the NHL today....Habs would get a ton in return.

That will be the case today, and 3 years from now...
There are teams out there who are going for a Cup, that would pay up for Weber
even at 36 years old...

I see is Subban back in Mtl 4 seasons from today , at 32 years old...

Plays for Habs for 5-7 years and retires.

Last edited:

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010

Habs needs players who actually have shown they can produce points(goals) in the playoffs....period. Preferably GOALS....

Galchenyuk has 13 in 28 playoffs games. Duchene is 26 and turning 27 in Jan. The guy is entering is prime. Honestly if we traded Duchene for Galchenyuk I would be OK with it. The problem is that we are still missing another 2C that an help Duchene, he isn't able to carry a team by himself.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Galchenyuk has 13 in 28 playoffs games. Duchene is 26 and turning 27 in Jan. The guy is entering is prime. Honestly if we traded Duchene for Galchenyuk I would be OK with it. The problem is that we are still missing another 2C that an help Duchene, he isn't able to carry a team by himself.

Habs have big trouble scoring in the playoffs....We need to add guys
who has the ability/potential to get us 8 -10+ goals in a cup run ...not another set up man .

Last thing Habs need right now, is players who can score in regular season,but can't in playoffs..

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Habs have big trouble scoring in the playoffs....We need to add guys
who has the ability/potential to get us 8 -10+ goals in a cup run ...not another set up man .

How about a guy who can win faceoffs, as good puck possession and good speed?

Not sure what Center you are looking for? Galchenyuk for an aging Jeff Carter?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We all imagined the same with PK. MB and logic don't go together.

You and others can continue to tie everything and anything to the PK/Weber trade...

I'd rather not.

The PK/Weber trade was never a hockey deal...If they trade Galchenyuk, I would think it's a hockey deal.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

We're not getting a proven playoff performer for Galchenyuk. The playoffs are too small sample and the only players who have a consistently good track record are superstars like Malkin.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
We're not getting a proven playoff performer for Galchenyuk. The playoffs are too small sample and the only players who have a consistently good track record are superstars like Malkin.

Not true.

Habs don't need superstars...They just need guys who can actually
put the puck in the net in playoffs...These don't have to be "superstars"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad