Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Did he tell you that?

Remember the wealthy tend to be the stingiest - cue Warren Buffet who spends $2.95 on two sausage patties from McDonald’s, and then puts them together if the market is down in the morning, or splurges $3.17 on a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit If the markets up.

You don’t get or maintain wealth by not being concerned with losing money at anytime…

1) Molson inherited his wealth.
2) Both Molson and Buffet have shown that they're perfectly willing to invest millions of dollars (or more) for a high rate of return.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
1) Molson inherited his wealth.
2) Both Molson and Buffet have shown that they're perfectly willing to invest millions of dollars (or more) for a high rate of return.
Especially since he inherited it, he’s been taught from a very young age about the value of every dollar & how it won’t last unless you pinch every penny and manage it carefully.

As stated one of the wealthiest men in the world to this day won’t spend more than $2.95 for breakfast if his net worth is down due to the market being down in the morning

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Especially since he inherited it, he’s been taught from a very young age about the value of every dollar & how it won’t last unless you pinch every penny and manage it carefully.

As stated one of the wealthiest men in the world to this day won’t spend more than $2.95 for breakfast if his net worth is down due to the market being down in the morning

I doubt that you're actually that gullible.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
I'd take just Newhook, no Girard.
If Avs want to have Price, they will have to give back salary. They couldn't fit Price under the cap otherwise.

I would do Price 33% retention, Chiarot 50% retention for Newhook, Francouz (for cap reason) and Girard.

They would have to fit around 1.5M$ under the cap, much more doable.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I might be missing something here, but if Molson retains 33% on Gallagher this year, 40% on Price next season and 33% on Jeff Petry at 2023-2024.

Total salary wise, thats:
Gallagher: 36.5M$ left * 0.66 = 24.09M$ saved
Price: 31.25M$ left at that point * 0.6 = 18.75M$
Petry: 12.5M$ * 0.66 = 8.25M$

For a total of around 51M$ saved in a 5 year span.
For around 10M$ saved each season, which should be more than enough to be able to cover Primeau's rest of ELC and futur bridge, plus ELC on D and wing. Gives you some money to bridge Romanov, Poehling and Caufield too.
It's not just about money spent or saved, it's also about cap hit. With this plan the cap hit on retained salaries is $8.45M in '23-'24 and '24-'25, and it's $6.4M in '22-'23 and '25-'26. The cap hit this year and next is mostly irrelevant as the team will be rebuilding. But I don't foresee a 3-5 year rebuild so that wasted cap after next season and especially from '24-'26 could handcuff a team that wants to compete in 3+ years.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

so damn gullible LOL

Reactions: DAChampion

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
It's not just about money spent or saved, it's also about cap hit. With this plan the cap hit on retained salaries is $8.45M in '23-'24 and '24-'25, and it's $6.4M in '22-'23 and '25-'26. The cap hit this year and next is mostly irrelevant as the team will be rebuilding. But I don't foresee a 3-5 year rebuild so that wasted cap after next season and especially from '24-'26 could handcuff a team that wants to compete in 3+ years.
Better bet that Petry, Gallagher and Price will perform 3+ years from now then when we will be ready to compete (or retire early) because otherwise, it's their contract that are going to be the handcuffer of this team.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Avs want to have Price, they will have to give back salary. They couldn't fit Price under the cap otherwise.

I would do Price 33% retention, Chiarot 50% retention for Newhook, Francouz (for cap reason) and Girard.

They would have to fit around 1.5M$ under the cap, much more doable.

I would do Price 50% retained for Newhook, plus we take back whatever salary needed to get the deal done.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Better bet that Petry, Gallagher and Price will perform 3+ years from now then when we will be ready to compete (or retire early) because otherwise, it's their contract that are going to be the handcuffer of this team.

How would Petry's contract handcuff us in 3+ years considering it will have expired by then?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I don’t get the fact we worried about spending Molson money on retain salary. It is not wasted money. Either he pays his player fully or he cannot spend it anyway due to cap space. It is not a buyout we are talking about

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
How would Petry's contract handcuff us in 3+ years considering it will have expired by then?
Petry isn't the only player I named who could be retained.

I was replying to someone who said that retaining would handcuff us, so I would ask you the same question. If you think we aren't competitive before 3+ years, how is retaining Jeff Petry contract going to handcuff us in the short term?

If the Habs are ready to compete in 2024-2025, 37 years old Jeff Petry's and Price's, or Gallagher's 33-34 years old at their cap hit definitely can handcuff us.

Retaining on Petry(or someone else) contract while we aren't competing for a championship shouldn't be a problem since we won't need the cap space before they are off the book.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I doubt that you're actually that gullible.
I manage enough of these guys portfolios…majority are cheap bastards to the point you’d think they’re penniless, but that’s how they accumulated the wealth in first place

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Gimme Chiarot, Lehkonen and Allen NOW!!
A9ED33D3-4239-4C1E-9B70-EC4203292A57.jpeg

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Petry isn't the only player I named who could be retained.

I was replying to someone who said that retaining would handcuff us, so I would ask you the same question. If you think we aren't competitive before 3+ years, how is retaining Jeff Petry contract going to handcuff us in the short term?

If the Habs are ready to compete in 2024-2025, 37 years old Jeff Petry's and Price's, or Gallagher's 33-34 years old at their cap hit definitely can handcuff us.

Retaining on Petry(or someone else) contract while we aren't competing for a championship shouldn't be a problem since we won't need the cap space before they are off the book.

Well an argument could be made that spending too/near the cap while having a bad team means we can't take advantage of good teams that need to shed salary to stay under the cap. So it does handcuff us to an extent. Not too mention since we don't want to throw our young D to the wolves we would need to go out and sign a replacement (Even if not as good) and that new players contract + the retained salary will likely outweigh Petry's current deal.

But regardless, whether you think retaining does/doesn't handcuff us in 3+ years time Petry shouldn't be lumped into the same category as Gallagher and Price because the situations aren't similar.

Reactions: 417

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
What about to the Yotes, rights to Jordan Harris, Logan Mailloux, Joel Armia and our and 2nd rounder in 2023 for Jacob Chcycrun?

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Well an argument could be made that spending too/near the cap while having a bad team means we can't take advantage of good teams that need to shed salary to stay under the cap. So it does handcuff us to an extent. Not too mention since we don't want to throw our young D to the wolves we would need to go out and sign a replacement (Even if not as good) and that new players contract + the retained salary will likely outweigh Petry's current deal.

But regardless, whether you think retaining does/doesn't handcuff us in 3+ years time Petry shouldn't be lumped into the same category as Gallagher and Price because the situations aren't similar.

We will have even less leeway to do so with Carey Price, Gallagher and Petry full cap hit.

If we retain say 33% on Petry, that's at least 4M$ saved on the cap. You can sign UFA bottom pairing guys for 2-3M$ if you don't want to rush your young defenseman and that gives you 1-2M$ to relief a team of some bad contract on a 3-way trade while you rebuild.

It really depends on how you think Petry, Price and Gallagher are going to perform for the next few season. If you think they will raise their game and it's just a bad year, than keep them. If you think they are starting to regress and Petry is slowly turning into a #4 defenseman, Gallagher into a 3rd line winger and Price a shell of himself because of his injury you bank on what you can get while they still have value and think about what you can get for them for the futur.

I'm on the fence on this one, Price was great in the playoff since 2017-2018, but he has been average in the past couple of regular season. And Gallagher and Petry have shown strong sign of regression since beginning of 2021 playoff+2021-2022 season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We will have even less leeway to do so with Carey Price, Gallagher and Petry full cap hit.

If we retain say 33% on Petry, that's at least 4M$ saved on the cap. You can sign UFA bottom pairing guys for 2-3M$ if you don't want to rush your young defenseman and that gives you 1-2M$ to relief a team of some bad contract on a 3-way trade while you rebuild.

It really depends on how you think Petry, Price and Gallagher are going to perform for the next few season. If you think they will raise their game and it's just a bad year, than keep them. If you think they are starting to regress and Petry is slowly turning into a #4 defenseman, Gallagher into a 3rd line winger and Price a shell of himself because of his injury you bank on what you can get while they still have value and think about what you can get for them for the futur.

I'm on the fence on this one, Price was great in the playoff since 2017-2018, but he has been average in the past couple of regular season. And Gallagher and Petry have shown strong sign of regression since beginning of 2021 playoff+2021-2022 season.
I get Gallagher…even Price to some degree (although I still doubt the feasibility of moving him) but Petry?

You have to be really desperate to want to move someone who has multiple years salary remaining with salary retention.

If the perfect deal comes along, sure, but I don’t see the desperation in getting rid of him.

Especially now given the way he’s played…polish that apple, they’ll be plenty of time to re-evaluate.

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
I get Gallagher…even Price to some degree (although I still doubt the feasibility of moving him) but Petry?

You have to be really desperate to want to move someone who has multiple years salary remaining with salary retention.

If the perfect deal comes along, sure, but I don’t see the desperation in getting rid of him.

Especially now given the way he’s played…polish that apple, they’ll be plenty of time to re-evaluate.
Petry is the last guy I would retain on, and it would be around 2023-2024 because I still think he can be helpful at the blue line and we need some top 4 d with Chiarot leaving and Edmunson isn't a sure bet.

But if we see his game keep regressing next season and Habs are still a bottom team, I don't see what he will bring to this team during the rebuild. If we can get prospect that have the potential to be as good as him during his peak, I take it because it's going to be helpful to us in 3+ years for the next decade instead of whatever version of Petry we get at the end of his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: BozoTheClown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad