HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Trading Matheson still doesn't make much sense to me. Sure his value on the market is very high but he's also extremely valuable for us.

We need our prospects to earn their time in the NHL, not be given minutes because we traded the more talented veteran players away.

He just turned 30 in Feburary, not 35.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Trading Matheson still doesn't make much sense to me. Sure his value on the market is very high but he's also extremely valuable for us.

We need our prospects to earn their time in the NHL, not be given minutes because we traded the more talented veteran players away.

He just turned 30 in Feburary, not 35.
His skating isn't slowing down anytime soon either.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
You'd think he was pushing 40 with some of the comments around here. He's a phenomenal skater, and many of the mistakes he made were down to playing too many minutes - But that was because the young guys weren't trusted to play more.. I guess that means we should trade Mike so that we're forced to play them more .. :facepalm:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I got news for you - they better start competing next year - the honeymoon is over.

You don't go from bottom five to Stanley Cup. There is a natural progression.
- Challange for playoffs
- Make playoffs
- Lose a couple of years in 1st or 2nd round
- Start being a real contender for Cup

Without vets like Matheson - you never get to step 1. As Miller said, like Buffalo, Senators, Wings you are perpetually in non playoff mode.
Those three teams aren't getting out of the hole because they have no goalies, not because they lack a Matheson or other quality vets. In fact, they could do with a few more defensive dmen vets instead of a Matheson...

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I don't know if it's enough but Florida has very little cap room and some big players need new contracts.

To MTL:
Anton Lundell (RFA)

To FLA:
2024 WPG 1st
2024 MTL 3rd
Jayden Struble

After as good a 1st year as you'd hope for, he's stagnated in terms of production. He had 44 points in his rookie season but has since followed that up with 33 and 35 point campaigns.

I think he's a good 3C, I don't know if he'll ever be a 2C on a team that can compete for the cup but he's someone who you can throw out against the other team to get the better matchups for your 1st and 2nd lines.

I'm entirely going off the assumption that he'll want at least 3mil a year and that the Panthers will choose to use that money elsewhere, bringing in a 1st & 3rd rounder as well as a young D who was a 2nd rounder on his ELC who can play 3rd pair minutes already.

DVO being on the final year of his contract will hopefully be playing his best hockey to try and secure another similar deal to the one he's currently on and would be expendable.

Reactions: Sunfyre and ReHabs

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I got news for you - they better start competing next year - the honeymoon is over.

You don't go from bottom five to Stanley Cup. There is a natural progression.
- Challange for playoffs
- Make playoffs
- Lose a couple of years in 1st or 2nd round
- Start being a real contender for Cup

Without vets like Matheson - you never get to step 1. As Miller said, like Buffalo, Senators, Wings you are perpetually in non playoff mode.
I'm not sure the team necessarily has to go through all that if they're built the right way.
But let's say you're right. Matheson would be 34-35 years old at the end of that cycle.
He's gonna be past his prime.

I like Matheson. He's a local boy and a good vet.
But the main problem is they would have to trade two of Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj and Struble if they want to keep him long term, unless they make them play on the right side.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure the team necessarily has to go through all that if they're built the right way.
But let's say you're right. Matheson would be 34-35 years old at the end of that cycle.
He's gonna be past his prime.

I like Matheson. He's a local boy and a good vet.
But the main problem is they would have to trade two of Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj and Struble if they want to keep him long term, unless they make them play on the right side.
Couple of things:

I can't think off hand of a team (except Vegas - totally built on vets) that hasn't gone through or still going thru that process I described.

Until Reinbacher or Mailloux prove that they can play top pair, Guhle will be our RD. If one of the two prove to be dominant, that's when you can start considering trading Matheson - although I would argue he would be very useful playing a smaller role and continue to mentor the D group.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don't know if it's enough but Florida has very little cap room and some big players need new contracts.

To MTL:
Anton Lundell (RFA)

To FLA:
2024 WPG 1st
2024 MTL 3rd
Jayden Struble

After as good a 1st year as you'd hope for, he's stagnated in terms of production. He had 44 points in his rookie season but has since followed that up with 33 and 35 point campaigns.

I think he's a good 3C, I don't know if he'll ever be a 2C on a team that can compete for the cup but he's someone who you can throw out against the other team to get the better matchups for your 1st and 2nd lines.

I'm entirely going off the assumption that he'll want at least 3mil a year and that the Panthers will choose to use that money elsewhere, bringing in a 1st & 3rd rounder as well as a young D who was a 2nd rounder on his ELC who can play 3rd pair minutes already.

DVO being on the final year of his contract will hopefully be playing his best hockey to try and secure another similar deal to the one he's currently on and would be expendable.
Very good trade target, he's putting up points in the playoffs too, so I don't see why he can't grow to a top6 C role given his tools. Not sure how attached FLA is to him and how badly they need a reprieve and stop-gap at D but he's a very interesting trade target.

Reactions: Canadiens98

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I would be quite happy if Habs came out of the 1st rd with both Iginla and Eiserman.

Eiserman is totally 50/50, but really 100/0 Like either hes a first line star winger or barely plays 100 games in the NHL.. i would not want to risk a top 10 pick him, but I think Philly take him at #12.

Would be a good haul for what we need in our forward pool. We can have them play one more NCAA/CHL year and then one possible AHL year. Likely pieces we can insert and make a difference in as early as 2 or 3 seasons.

Then we can sign Monahan and Toffoli for 2/3 years? Maybe. Team moves up the standings while our youth matures/develops more.

Work at unloading Armia and Anderson. Stuck with Gallagher.

Wont matter for him. Rest of his game is too good. I predict Iginla will succeed at the NHL level. I will be extremely surprised if he becomes less than a 30 goals and 60 points player. He has become one of my favorite player in this draft.

What's not to like with the Iginla pick? It's really hard to find flaws in this young 17 year old I find.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I can see the logic in trading Matheson, but given that the Habs need to improve this year, I think the logic in keeping Matheson has more weight.

Leave Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom, and Hutson in the AHL. Let them simmer and dominate.

As the year progresses, keep evaluating Barron, Harris, Struble. Perhaps their trade value will go up. Savard and Kovacevic can finish out their contracts, and might even be traded.

But the Habs need to be a bubble team next year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I swear the Winnipeg pick is gonna become the new Halak, 2n pick + Ryder. :laugh: And I'm guilty of this too.

BTW since the Predators are about to sign their goalie Saros longterm, I wonder what Askarov would cost.
Why would we need another goalie? Or you mean flip him in a 3 team deal for mid first?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After watching that video, how he is ranked only 10 to 14? I mean, he's top 5 material. He's so much better than KK in every aspects. And he might a much better attitude, work ethic and life habits than Galchenyuk. His qualities are all what it takes to the nhl level.

It's due to the large amount of talent in that 2 to 10+ range. But we all know that at the end of the day when we look back, the re-draft will have lots of movement. I think it applies to this draft more than others.

When I like a prospect, I always go pros/cons and I just have a hard time finding flaws in Iggy's game. The pros add up to an impressive list.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You'd think he was pushing 40 with some of the comments around here. He's a phenomenal skater, and many of the mistakes he made were down to playing too many minutes - But that was because the young guys weren't trusted to play more.. I guess that means we should trade Mike so that we're forced to play them more .. :facepalm:

Agreed. We are not going to shop Matheson in a trade. If teams call, let them and talk. Basically, the message is you have to offer something we can't refuse. Late 1st's and B+ prospects is not going to turn the needle for where this rebuild is at. Not worth it.

Matheson will be part of this team for a while yet. Others have to catch and pass him by earning it. We got time to sort this out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OK but I don't usually like using a 5th pick on a 10-OA player and that is where the video has him.

Reinbacher was a late riser last year like Iggy is this year. Bob had Reinbacher 8th pre draft and Iggy 10 in this pre draft end of season rankings.

From what I know today, I'm taking Iggy 5th and working on using some draft power to get another pick from 12-15 range.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Because they have a surplus of LDs and he's 30 years old.

Hugues said at the end of season presser that he wouldn't go get an veteran RD because that would block the progress of their young RDs.
Keeping Matheson and extending him has pretty much the same effect on their young LDs.

So, if you take Hugues at his word, what would be the logic in keeping Matheson?

Of course, they don't have to trade him now, but eventually it will have to be done.
With your interpretation of Hughes's statement, then you also need to trade Savard. And I don't buy the left side has more prospects than the right. Matheson is more valuable to the team and provides more bang for your buck than Savard. Also, after Guhle and Kovacevic all the other defence prospects are still wet behind the ears. In addition which prospect will provide what Matheson does? Maybe Hutson and he needs a mentor. Savard ain't it.

Reactions: 417

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm not sure how good Askarov will be. Do we have confidence that one of Monty/Primeau/Fowler will turn into what we need? I think we can evaluate them for a while yet.

Rather use our draft power to target top 6F talent.
Askarov is gonna be in the Shestorkin/Vasilevski/Sorokin class

Since we don’t have any franchise player at an other position and either our offence or defence is gonna be elite, having that kind of goalie could help

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Askarov is gonna be in the Shestorkin/Vasilevski/Sorokin class

Since we don’t have any franchise player at an other position and either our offence or defence is gonna be elite, having that kind of goalie could help

He's projected to be, but you don't know that for sure. I rather focus on building our F and D group to be very good. You can win with a Monty type in net.

Depends on the cost for Askarov with me. I would consider Primeau/Jets 1st for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. 187 lbs at 6'-2". He's light for his height and I think his mobility/skating will not fade until age 35+.

He's really matured in his late 20's. Never thought we would be able to flip Petry for a rewind... Basically added a younger but better Petry.

Reactions: Tyson

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's projected to be, but you don't know that for sure. I rather focus on building our F and D group to be very good. You can win with a Monty type in net.

Depends on the cost for Askarov with me. I would consider Primeau/Jets 1st for him.
You can win with a goalie like Monty when your team is elite with franchise players like Colorado but we don’t have that. Having an elite goalie could make the difference between having a good team and a team that can compete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad