HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt Zegras. I remember Hughes saying he wants his team built around players who when they go through rough patches how they respond. I don't get positive impression from Zegras

The last two offseasons, HuGo have brought in a mix of good NHLers and drafted players,
Summer 2022: Matheson, Dach, Slaf, Hutson, Engstrom, Beck (Wow what an offseason!)
Summer 2023: Newhook, Reinbacher, Fowler, Bogdan.

Now, summer 2024, I'm very interested to see what they do. I could see them trading for or signing one or two short-term or vet stop-gap top six forwards, as well as drafting one or two for the long-term.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Some people are far too focused on a supposed window we haven't even come close to opening.
I have no issues trading for or signing any player that will help us get to the next step.
The caveat being we must be able to dispense with them painlessly when the time comes.
That is exactly what HuGo's job becomes once they declare which they did.
The hard part is knowing which players will retain value and age well.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't know much about Necas. Why do I regularly see his name? I see he is a RFA. Is there rumours of the Canes moving on from him?

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Necas

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
OK, more like "compete". When you compete, you will often take more penalties than if you just go through motions.

Example:
Caufield prior to this year - 143 games and 14 PIM
This year, more engaged - 82 games and 16 PIM
Jacob Slavin says Hi!
2 minutes of penalties all season by a top defender kind of butts up against your argument.
Competing and having a bit of a mean streak aren't the same thing.
I prefer players with both but at the same time I wouldn't say no to having a Slavin on my squad.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't know much about Necas. Why do I regularly see his name? I see he is a RFA. Is there rumours of the Canes moving on from him?

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Necas

canes are fairly capf***ed this summer and it's been rumored he might be the odd guy out, not necessarily though.

Reactions: waitin425

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Necas
They just have a lot of guys they need to resign. Half their D core are UFA. Seth Jarvis and Guentzel need new contracts.

Still seems like a Longshot though.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
They just have a lot of guys they need to resign. Half their D core are UFA. Seth Jarvis and Guentzel need new contracts.

Still seems like a Longshot though.
Just looking through their capfriendly and I would probably let Guentzel and Terravainen walk before Necas, but they would walk for free, where as they still retain rights on Necas. Makes sense to pull in a return for him. I just like his age better.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wonder what the Pens would give us to grab Graves. He's another Matheson that the Pens made a mistake giving a big contract to. Funny enough, Im ready to get even more angry.

He'd be a good partner for Guhle probably, he was very good with Marino in NJ.

They have absolutely nothing to give us because this f***ing roster they built is barren of any talent lol.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Necas
He's the odd man otu and they need to resign a bunch of players. He's sawf, he doesn't play well in Rod's system and the Canes generally have forwards to spare + the ability to trade him to someone, it's a no brainer. He's playing basically 3rd line minutes for them.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Tony M was talking of Keller a fit to MTL for David R and peg #1 and +

cant see Utah making any deals like that
Wouldn’t be surprised to hear players voicing displeasure over the move.

I guess the thinking is to go RD in this draft with Keller being the solution for the 2nd line.

I’d rather cal pick + win pick + barron.

And have Lindstrom Keller Dach on the 2nd line.

Reactions: sampollock and Rozz

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
With all do respect, I hope your kidding !

Thank you! Obviously the Caufield stats were trolling. Of course you can get chippy penalties and still be soft.

My more general point is that I don't buy the Zegras as cancer narrative. I think Suzuki, Caufield, Newhook and Dach, not to mention guys like Gallagher, will show him the way.

Reactions: Vachon23

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If we balked at the idea of giving up Reinbacher for Cutter Gauthier, I see a quick pass for Keller. RHD with the potential to be first pairing guys should not be traded for wingers. I'd think there will be more options to find a scoring forward compared to how hard it will be to find a defenseman with Reinbacher's potential.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A 25 years old PPG winger signed for 4 more years at 7m is certainly a fit here no question.

Problem is that i think he would be expensive. Quite a bit
I agree but there were many here a year ago when I suggested Keller who were not in favour at almost any trade cost.

"Not good enough, will be Drouin again."

"Too small and too soft".

"Will be too good, will hurt the tank."

"Won't be able to handle the pressure, likes the anonymity".

"Will want more than Suzuki after his contract is over."

"His father is a problem, will be Galchenyuk again".

"Not a 'local' star" - (where 'local' includes Claude Giroux but not Mike Matheson).

I'm sure I forgot some.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I agree but there were many here a year ago when I suggested Keller who were not in favour at almost any trade cost.

"Not good enough, will be Drouin again."

"Too small and too soft".

"Will be too good, will hurt the tank."

"Won't be able to handle the pressure, likes the anonymity".

"Will want more than Suzuki after his contract is over."

"His father is a problem, will be Galchenyuk again".

"Not a 'local' star" - (where 'local' includes Claude Giroux but not Mike Matheson).

I'm sure I forgot some.
"At almost any cost"

Really?

That seems like an exaggeration.

IIRC there were many (legitimate imo) suggestions that he wasn't a good target at any realistic cost the yotes might consider, which is a different perspective all together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad