HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You make it sound like he’s a geriatric case. He’s 29. The team needs some vets mixed in. You can’t have a team of 23 year old and that’s it. Some players don’t come into their own until they’re in their mid to late 20’s as well, particularly when it comes to their defensive game.

With a guy like Paul, he still motors, hits and scores. He grinds and has skill as well as experience and understanding of the game. I’d have no problem trading for a guy like that who still has some good years ahead of him.
And what do Paul brings until we are ready to win? We wont be ready for another 3 years minimum and by that time Paul will be 32. We should target players betwen 24-26. Players who will still be at the end of their 20ies when we'll be ready. We have more than enough vets to surroud the kids as it is. Let's cross the bridge and make win now moves when when we get to the bridge.

Reactions: bsl

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Im not particularly much of a Zegras fan, that being said, I trust this management and if they think he can be part of a winning team here and decide the price is right for him, then I’ll put aside my doubts and root for the move.

Reactions: tazsub3 and Rozz

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And what do Paul brings until we are ready to win? We wont be ready for another 3 years minimum and by that time Paul will be 32. We should target players betwen 24-26. Players who will still be at the end of their 20ies when we'll be ready. We have more than enough vets to surroud the kids as it is. Let's cross the bridge and make win now moves when when we get to the bridge.
Being ready to win doesn’t just happen. It’s a process and you usually need vets to help teach young kids how to win, how to act, and how to play. It’s not like in one season the team magically is “ready”
And you go out and get a bunch of vets to teach and support them. That happens before and during the push.

Nothing wrong with having veteran leadership especially from guys from winning teams. Ask the players what they think of Matheson, Savard, Monahan etc. all were key to help the kids adjust. The bottom 6 is awful, so bringing in a vet from a winning organization who can play, teach and mentor youngsters on how to play that role is essential.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pretty sure there was talk about it way before the Gauthier trade. It’s been out there awhile as Zehra isn’t liked by the GM and isn’t a Verbeek type player. Gaithersburg trade just turned it into overdrive.

I think it’s pretty clear Zegras isn’t starting the year as a Duck. Whether or not he’s a Canadien is the question.

Not sure where it started, but the noise is also outside of Montreal for sure

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Or you sit on him and lose all the value. As we've seen many times in Montreal with big, awkward first round picks with holes in their games. I think we're deep enough to use some of these Mailloux types to get a better player.
I think you are just feeling that way because of more established vets that we shoukd have sold high on like Anderon, Allen at one point, and maybe now Matheson etc.

My point is you don't trade prospects who's value is at a high just to trade him. And for what? With your logic why not trade any prospect in our organization that are killing it in junior and AHL. Let's wait and see what we have before rushing a trade. Unless we do a trade where it makes complete sense and makes us better in the near future then sure.

If that is the case what would we trade along with him perhaps? and get back what?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think you are just feeling that way because of more established vets that we shoukd have sold high on like Anderon, Allen at one point, and maybe now Matheson etc.

My point is you don't trade prospects who's value is at a high just to trade him. And for what? With your logic why not trade any prospect in our organization that are killing it in junior and AHL. Let's wait and see what we have before rushing a trade. Unless we do a trade where it makes complete sense and makes us better in the near future then sure.

If that is the case what would we trade along with him perhaps? and get back what?
No, I am talking about guys like Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, etc that could have been used to shore up Carey Price's prime years but were held until they busted.

The logic is the D is already pretty full, extremely young, and there are guys who will hold waiver ineligibility much longer than Mailloux in the system and don't have his poor defending in their weaknesses. Trading Mailloux for an equal forward prospect or in a package for a top 6 forward would be a great move. I don't mean trade him for a pick.

Barron losing his waiver ineligibility takes away his trade value. Mailloux doesn't have the defensive game to be more than a bottom pairing guy at ES in the NHL, and his puck skills are behind Hutson long term so he won't even get first PP time. It would be smart to get peak value, but I'm sure we'll try the magic bean route for the hundredth time.

It's one of those things where if you start with six #1 D and two play on the bottom pairing, those two are going to regress, you're not going to win 82 games because you have 6 #1 D. Ice time is essential for both development and continuous success, and we don't have enough of it to share; a guy like Kovacevic is perfect as a #6/7. Just look at a guy like Nate Schmidt who has literally played everywhere in the lineup in his career and performed basically as expected in each role. He was on the top pairing of a team that went to the finals and then the conference finals. Before that he was a bottom pairing guy and after that he was a bottom pairing guy. When he got put in a top 4 role after that he produced like a top 4 dman. The teams that had this top pairing guy on the bottom pairing did not have massive success or embarrassment of riches.

That's just my opinion from watching hockey though. I don't think the idea of hording prospects or keeping "name value" guys in every single roster spot works out in real life. Mailloux's obviously got higher upside than a Konyshukov or an Engstrom, but they also have very little trade value and play safer games that would project well even in a bottom pairing role.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
No, I am talking about guys like Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, etc that could have been used to shore up Carey Price's prime years but were held until they busted.

The logic is the D is already pretty full, extremely young, and there are guys who will hold waiver ineligibility much longer than Mailloux in the system and don't have his poor defending in their weaknesses. Trading Mailloux for an equal forward prospect or in a package for a top 6 forward would be a great move. I don't mean trade him for a pick.

Barron losing his waiver ineligibility takes away his trade value. Mailloux doesn't have the defensive game to be more than a bottom pairing guy at ES in the NHL, and his puck skills are behind Hutson long term so he won't even get first PP time. It would be smart to get peak value, but I'm sure we'll try the magic bean route for the hundredth time.

It's one of those things where if you start with six #1 D and two play on the bottom pairing, those two are going to regress, you're not going to win 82 games because you have 6 #1 D. Ice time is essential for both development and continuous success, and we don't have enough of it to share; a guy like Kovacevic is perfect as a #6/7. Just look at a guy like Nate Schmidt who has literally played everywhere in the lineup in his career and performed basically as expected in each role. He was on the top pairing of a team that went to the finals and then the conference finals. Before that he was a bottom pairing guy and after that he was a bottom pairing guy. When he got put in a top 4 role after that he produced like a top 4 dman. The teams that had this top pairing guy on the bottom pairing did not have massive success or embarrassment of riches.

That's just my opinion from watching hockey though. I don't think the idea of hording prospects or keeping "name value" guys in every single roster spot works out in real life. Mailloux's obviously got higher upside than a Konyshukov or an Engstrom, but they also have very little trade value and play safer games that would project well even in a bottom pairing role.
I do understand your thinking but I do think it's better to have 1-2 D playing 5-6. Sure thier numbers/points may not look sexy, but you still have much higher skilled guys playing down the line.

Well hindsight is 20/20 with the prospects. No prospect is a sure thing. Hence why they are prospects. If it were that easy all teams will be trading thier prospects at peak level knowing they will bust.

But I am not opposed to trading him with a package that gets a solid young player. But trade needs to make sense and make us that much better for when we are ready to compete in 2-3 years (hopefully)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Knights are going to keep Hertl and Eichel for next year. I wonder what Stephenson would cost as a 3C+2W option. Carrier and Roy could probably be added from Vegas. They'll need to save some money somewhere.

Reactions: Rozz

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you sign Monahan you'll need to push one of Anderson, Dvorak or Gallagher to the 4th line to have Roy in the linup. So you'll need an injury.

Amazingly enough, upgrading the talent on your team pushes guys down the lineup. Ideally, you have two first lines, one second line and one third line.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Zegras/Necas
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Dvorak/Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
spare: Anderson/Dvorak

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
AS I said in my original post....that's the problem with Zegras' contract. Every teams right now are doing their best to not pay their top players that amount so they signed them right out of ELC on long terms deal. That's the best way to go these days.

I look at Jack Hugues contract at 8.5M.....Will you get Zegras more money than Hughes for 4 full seasons and think it's a good deal to build a winning organization?
A bridge deal does buy a team more caproom for couple of years. But pay more next contract. It's according to where a team is at. Cap usually goes up so team has more room down the road

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Guys, it might sound crazy, but is there a chance to get Quinton Byfield this off-season? LA is in tough cap situation as they only have 12 signed players with just 22,55M left in the cap space. He is RFA, should we offer sheet him for 8,5M? We would need to compensate 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks which is not a huge price for such player.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Guys, it might sound crazy, but is there a chance to get Quinton Byfield this off-season? LA is in tough cap situation as they only have 12 signed players with just 22,55M left in the cap space. He is RFA, should we offer sheet him for 8,5M? We would need to compensate 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks which is not a huge price for such player.
Thats scream Aho 2.0. There is no way LA doesnt match an 8,5 millions offer. Carolina showed us how its done. 8,5 is a friendly offer

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Nah man, we're getting Dubois :sarcasm:

The proposal is crazy, thank you for the laughs.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I've been on the Zegras bandwagon since the rumors started, I still am... But the only way I say forget it, is if we win the lottery and draft Celebrini
There's probably still a chance this might happen, but not now or even at the draft. Zegras' performances since coming back from injury have been lackluster. Say they're still stubborn at the draft and get more dmen, then I'd think about it for next season. When people start yelling about the club being in a forever tank, and there's very little depth upfront, it'll be an option on the table I think.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A bridge deal does buy a team more caproom for couple of years. But pay more next contract. It's according to where a team is at. Cap usually goes up so team has more room down the road
Not always, only if the player does very well. If your ok with the philosdophy of not chiseling the players, this is a fine option for most guys. Franchise polayers can be exceptions.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pretty sure there was talk about it way before the Gauthier trade. It’s been out there awhile as Zehra isn’t liked by the GM and isn’t a Verbeek type player. Gaithersburg trade just turned it into overdrive.
I don't have a good read on Zehra, don't watch enough Bulgarian games.

Gaithersburg was an amazing under the radar deal though that no one talks about, too bad it cost them Dryaisdaitle.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I can’t imagine we see any big trades until the draft order is decided. That being said they should be looking to bundle picks and move up or deal some of them as we will have no roster space for the amount of contracts needed in a couple years.

Reactions: bsl

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
The Knights are going to keep Hertl and Eichel for next year. I wonder what Stephenson would cost as a 3C+2W option. Carrier and Roy could probably be added from Vegas. They'll need to save some money somewhere.
That is why you sign Dorofeyev to an offer sheet 4 million per Vegas probably will not match because they are always in win now mode signing and making trades for big name players.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd rather not make more enemies than we currently have lol. Offer something a little over an OS.
The only thing about offersheeting Vegas is they play so tight to the limits and are always trading they more than likely won't offersheet anyone back unless they really want to f*** themselves.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
The Zegras thing got started after the Gauthier trade by people that supposed there maybe wouldn’t have a spot for Zegras with the Ducks anymore, mostly by Montreal fans/medias. It’s supposition.

And i don’t see Hughes/Gorton giving huge assets for him anyway when Hughes said couple of days ago that they need to get bigger.
And the Grand prix picture with Caufield and Hughes

Reactions: SlafySZN

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've been on the Zegras bandwagon since the rumors started, I still am... But the only way I say forget it, is if we win the lottery and draft Celebrini
I doubt Zegras. I remember Hughes saying he wants his team built around players who when they go through rough patches how they respond. I don't get positive impression from Zegras

Reactions: Expos94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad