HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
And i don't think NOW is the time to add to our bottom 6, unless we can trade a player like Armia or Dvorak. We still have Gallagher and Anderson who are good bottom 6 players but with big contracts. Dvorak will be replaced by Beck during 2025-2026 season. We will need to ride Anderson and Gallagher for at least two years.

There is a spot on the top 6 though, that we must fill this offseason.

2024-2025

Slaf-Suzuki+ Caufield/Player X
Newhook-Dach-Player X/Caufield
Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

2025-2026

Dvorak and Armia are being replaced by Beck and 2024 1st pick (if a forward)
I think this is a very realistic outlook for next year. While it is clear that there are holes in the lineup and that depth is not top notch, there are still question mark on certain players and there is still some deadwood that make next year still a transition year.

I'm looking forward to see who will complement the top 6... to me this and Dach'S play will very much dictate how good or bad next season unfold.

Reactions: Benstheman

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
But Hughes said they want to add toughness.
Maybe a longer term objective. Can't see him being able to make room in the bottom 6 until next trade deadline. I dont see him making UFA signature nor do the potential candidate to play in the bottom 6 are ready (Beck, Xhekaj, Tuch)

Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Dvorak is likely to be traded at the TDL. I could also see him being traded this summer to Chi or SJ for a low pick - Chi and SJ would probably hope to re-establish his value and do like we did with Monahan. and get a better return at the TDL.

Armia could be traded, but he's not the problem now.

Anderson and Gally ... cant be traded so you need to keep them a spot on the 4th line unfortunatelly.

Reactions: Sunfyre

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm hoping Hughes will move some of the next season UFAs/RFAs during the off-season instead of waiting to do it at the deadline.

You don't want to swap that many players 3/4 into the season, especially not if the team manage to be fighting for a playoffs spots.

The reasoning doesn't make sense but the trade might for Buffalo if they think he is going to be another Dach. 3 long term injuries in 2 years.
I only had an issue with the "size" reasoning.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Caufield always was gonna be a "you take the bad with the good" but now the bad overshadows the good. He's actually costing the 1st line
You are overreacting same way as you did with Slaf. CC is 7th in scoring among players U23, Slaf is 2nd in U20 and Suzuki is 5th in U25. Again, CC is 7th having a "bad year". He will score at least 10 more goals just by averaging his shooting %. Add Hutson and Dach on PP1 and he will be PPG. Relax 😉

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You are overreacting same way as you did with Slaf. CC is 7th in scoring among players U23, Slaf is 2nd in U20 and Suzuki is 5th in U25. Again, CC is 7th having a "bad year". He will score at least 10 more goals just by averaging his shooting %. Add Hutson and Dach on PP1 and he will be PPG. Relax 😉
Suzuki is one of the top two way center in the league and Slaf is a literal cyborg sasquatch hybrid that fires on a w26 engine .

Caufield is 5'6 and only produces offense, the rumors of his two-way game getting better is just that, a rumor. He's making dumb plays over and over and he's costing the 1st line possession. Again, injury doesn't make you pass up the puck blindly in the middle of the ice.

I could live with it if he was a 50+ goals scorer. If he is a 30-35 goal scorer Im not sure I can.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Maybe a longer term objective. Can't see him being able to make room in the bottom 6 until next trade deadline. I dont see him making UFA signature nor do the potential candidate to play in the bottom 6 are ready (Beck, Xhekaj, Tuch)

Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Dvorak is likely to be traded at the TDL. I could also see him being traded this summer to Chi or SJ for a low pick - Chi and SJ would probably hope to re-establish his value and do like we did with Monahan. and get a better return at the TDL.

Anderson and Gally ... cant be traded so you need to keep them a spot on the 4th line unfortunatelly.
And i think for Armia, there is a possibility they resign him. This guy is gold comes playoffs time.

But it would need to be 2-3 years and no salary raise.

They will probably negociate with him pre-deadline and if they can't a deal, he will be traded, unless Habs are in a position to make the playoffs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You don't throw a blind pass up the middle giving up possession because you're injured. Caufield always was gonna be a "you take the bad with the good" but now the bad overshadows the good. He's actually costing the 1st line. If we can get an actual first liner for him that will compliment Slaf and Nick, it should be done. Again, you're falling in love with the player rather than trying to build a winner. It's the same thing that lead us to having Petry, Anderson and Gallagher for too long on this roster.

Im not even sure what would make sense as a trade partner, we'd either be targetting a similarly aged wing, a 2nd line C or a RD and Im not sure there'd be a lot of GMs looking to make a side-way trade. I surely don't want to trade Caufield for picks or an old player. I did think about Kaprizov and his upcoming contract status though. Sanheim is another one that's interesting.
Why not just keep Caufield and add to the team if you're so convinced that he's not a fit with Suzuki and Slafkovsky? I don't think those 3 will or have to spend the rest of their careers together, if the Habs can find another top 6 winger (i'd be a BIG fan of trading for Martin Necas), they can interchange the top 6 wingers whenever they need to.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I d0n't think Varlamov is a significative upgrade on Montembault so no, i wouldn't sign him for the salary he will ask.

Why not just keep Caufield and add to the team if you're so convinced that he's not a fit with Suzuki and Slafkovsky? I don't think those 3 will or have to spend the rest of their careers together, if the Habs can find another top 6 winger (i'd be a BIG fan of trading for Martin Necas), they can interchange the top 6 wingers whenever they need to.
Slaf-Suzuki-Necas
Lindstrom-Dach-Caufield

we good we good

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I d0n't think Varlamov is a significative upgrade on Montembault so no, i wouldn't sign him for the salary he will ask.

Slaf-Suzuki-Necas
Lindstrom-Dach-Caufield

we good we good
The Habs are in a really good position in terms of goaltending with Monty & Primeau costing 4M against the cap next year and the year after, Primeau is a RFA.

The year after that, Carey Price contract finally comes off the books.

They can properly redistribute their salary dollars more equitably across their lineup, rather than having a bunch of it tied up in goalies (Price, Allen).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Toughness, ideally, should be added on top-6, not be reserved strictly for the bottom-6. That's why drafting a player like Lindstrom should be a priority if we don't win the Celebrini lottery.

I'd select him at 2nd OA. He's listed 3rd OA on some mock drafts.

I'd even trade the CAL 1st rounder in 2025 tour own 1st round pick this year to move up and ensure we can select Lindstrom if we don't win the lottery.

Size and top-6 skill, with grit and the ability to score goals is something every team needs if it hopes to win a Cup.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
And i think for Armia, there is a possibility they resign him. This guy is gold comes playoffs time.

But it would need to be 2-3 years and no salary raise.

They will probably negociate with him pre-deadline and if they can't a deal, he will be traded, unless Habs are in a position to make the playoffs.

I'm not sold on resigning Armia as he may take a spot that I would want for a more physical player.
Next year, having Armia is ok and almost unavoidable. we dont have better alternative yet then him on the 3rd or 4th line and while he was good to finish the season, I dont think that this is enough to make him desirable in a trade over the summer. That said, if Armia keep playing the way he did to finish the season, he may be a good trade target at the next TDL.

Now this is where things get complicated for me: Should MTL be in a race for a playoff spot, do you trade a guy that can help you? most certainly not unless the offer is insane. If MTL is out of the picture, then maybe.

Why maybe? well as you said, he's good and well liked by the other players, so can you resign him to play on the 4th line with a PK role? Would make sense, but beyond next season, one thing is clear, if MTL do add what I believe will be more top 6 talents and push Newhook and Roy on the 3rd line for 25/26 season, then Armia need a spot on the 4th line and you'll have competition with Tuch/Xhekaj evan Gally, etc....

[2024 1rd] - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufleild - Dach - [trade w/1stWin+]
Newhook - Beck - Roy
[Tuch/Xhekaj/Evan/Armia/Gally/others?]

Unless the trade or this years pick have sand paper, this top 9 is not very robust. you'll want to add that on the 4th and not sure Armia is the answer.

Toughness, ideally, should be added on top-6, not be reserved strictly for the bottom-6. That's why drafting a player like Lindstrom should be a priority if we don't win the Celebrini lottery.

I'd select him at 2nd OA. He's listed 3rd OA on some mock drafts.

I'd even trade the CAL 1st rounder in 2025 tour own 1st round pick this year to move up and ensure we can select Lindstrom if we don't win the lottery.

Size and top-6 skill, with grit and the ability to score goals is something every team needs if it hopes to win a Cup.
I agree, top 6 need to be more tough and I would also prefer Lidstron/Iginla for that reason. That said, they wont play next year and the lineup above is more what I expect for next October.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i wonder if NYR would be interested in deal around Armia and Kakko.

Armia fits more their contending window and there is no place for Kakko on the top 6. They can extend him for 2-3 years. He is been good this season and is always a force in the playoffs.

I would give them Winnipeg's 1st and Armia for Kakko.

If HuGo believe in Kakko, I'd retain 50% on Armia to get that deal done.

I'm not sold on resigning Armia as he may take a spot that I would want for a more physical player.
Next year, having Armia is ok and almost unavoidable. we dont have better alternative yet then him on the 3rd or 4th line and while he was good to finish the season, I dont think that this is enough to make him desirable in a trade over the summer. That said, if Armia keep playing the way he did to finish the season, he may be a good trade target at the next TDL.

Now this is where things get complicated for me: Should MTL be in a race for a playoff spot, do you trade a guy that can help you? most certainly not unless the offer is insane. If MTL is out of the picture, then maybe.

Why maybe? well as you said, he's good and well liked by the other players, so can you resign him to play on the 4th line with a PK role? Would make sense, but beyond next season, one thing is clear, if MTL do add what I believe will be more top 6 talents and push Newhook and Roy on the 3rd line for 25/26 season, then Armia need a spot on the 4th line and you'll have competition with Tuch/Xhekaj evan Gally, etc....

[2024 1rd] - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufleild - Dach - [trade w/1stWin+]
Newhook - Beck - Roy
[Tuch/Xhekaj/Evan/Armia/Gally/others?]

Unless the trade or this years pick have sand paper, this top 9 is not very robust. you'll want to add that on the 4th and not sure Armia is the answer.

I agree, top 6 need to be more tough and I would also prefer Lidstron/Iginla for that reason. That said, they wont play next year and the lineup above is more what I expect for next October.

Plus note that Oliver Kapanen may be in the mix in 2025-26.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If HuGo believe in Kakko, I'd retain 50% on Armia to get that deal done.
He's done nothing in his career so far that tells me he's going to be an impact player aka a top 6 guy. There's also nothing that tells me he's a force in the bottom 6. He's not physical, he's not a great forechecker...I'm just wondering what he brings to the table to make us better.

Is it just to get rid of Armia?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know what Kaprizov will ask for. To me he's worth the 2-3 millions more he'd ask.

12 is high though, thats for sure. He would pretty much transform our team and make us a contender. By doing it at the draft, it also allows us to go for either a D or size in the top 6. Instead of drafting Demidov, we could go for Levshunov, Lindstorm.

Kaprizov-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Roy-Dach-Lindstrom

It's making me giddy.
That lineup is not very good. It depends on how you project the 2nd line (not a fan of Roy) but to me this more like a decent 3rd line.
I think you project too much young prospect to become difference maker. Roy is still young and has a lot to learn. I would not give him the key for the 2nd line yet, he has to improve.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's done nothing in his career so far that tells me he's going to be an impact player aka a top 6 guy. There's also nothing that tells me he's a force in the bottom 6. He's not physical, he's not a great forechecker...I'm just wondering what he brings to the table to make us better.

Is it just to get rid of Armia?
Well he had 18 goals and 40 points last year. This year he's battled injuries. I really don't know the player well enough.

I just see some Ranger fans that don't want to lose him, and some in the media that say he has untapped potential, like Button.

Reactions: Deebs

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Hes not a more complete player. That's just Habs media propaganda to make you guys feel better. He's never going to be good two-way. In fact, he's getting heavily exposed playing with the other two.

I'm not throwing him away, of course, but I believe his value is only going down, if we can upgrade the RD, 2nd line C or first line with him +, I'd do it.
His value is not going down. If you trade him now it would be at the worst potential value you would get. Other teams don't like acquiring new players on long term contracts. Stop looking it from a Habs perspective but as another GM.

Why is Kent Hughes, wanting to trade Caufield one year after signing him for 8 years extension? something is not right, that contract could cripple my franchise. I am steering away unless Hughes can take on my bad contracts.

Just for fun, what would you expect to get from a Caufield trade?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Caufield is 5'6 and only produces offense, the rumors of his two-way game getting better is just that, a rumor. He's making dumb plays over and over and he's costing the 1st line possession. Again, injury doesn't make you pass up the puck blindly in the middle of the ice.

I could live with it if he was a 50+ goals scorer. If he is a 30-35 goal scorer Im not sure I can.
Put them you drool over 9 pts superstar player like Josh Roy and Cayden "Vilardi" Lindstrom and believe they would improve the team. GTFO.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I'm certainly in minority here but I would trade Winnipeg 1st in order to drop Gallagher or Anderson contract.

Also maybe Dvorak to SJ or Chicago for future consideration?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad