HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #80

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't think Habs can afford all these players. Szuki got the big pay starting this year, and Caufield will also cash in next. Huberdeau will be 30- or 31 in 2024. No way I want habs to give him 7-8 years contract. PLD is the best option. Still young on top of that.
Byron, Dadonov, and Allen are toast $11M right there. One or both of Gallagher & Dvorak ($11M) would be traded as part of the deal to acquire both players - that $17M of $22M goes towards PLD, Huberdeau + backup goalie

I’ll keep saying it Huberdeau qualifies for CDN RCA program - a deal structured w $50M paid out in first 3-4 years of the deal and it’s a done deal. Habs have only enjoyed that advantage w American UFAs till now, and program wasn’t in place when Briere was UFA in 2007

Last edited:
Reactions: dinodebino

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Figure out a way to trade price and/or gallagher to liberate cap space for hub and pld when they become ufa/rfa
There's this thing called the salary cap. Maybe you've heard of it?

No one is taking Price's contract. He'll eventually go on LTIRetirement, but we still need to be within 10% over a given summer. Someone might take Gallagher if he can rebound, but we'll have to eat salary to do it. Then you'd have to dump Anderson and Hoffman. Doable, but you're talking about shedding 4 contracts.

Huberdeau is a pipe dream. If he doesn't sign before July 2023, he's likely going to command a 7 year $70-75 million contract. While PLD would be manageable, there needs to be money to give Caufield his next deal. Figure it to be not far from Suzuki's: eight years and likely in the area of $56 million. Then you have to have money down the road for Slaf's second deal and whatever top prospect you're likely to get in June of 2023.

Suzuki - 7.875
Caufield - 7.00
PLD - 7.00
Huberdeau - 10

That's almost $32 million. Montreal can't commit today what they think the cap will be tomorrow.

Stay the course.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just because pld's camp has expressed some desire to play here, we shouldn't assume other French Canadians automatically want to come here too.

The track history is quite the opposite, actually.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Jul 6, 2016
Byron and Allen are toast $6M right there. One or both of Gallagher & Dvorak ($11M) would be traded as part of the deal to acquire both players - that $17M goes towards PLD, Huberdeau + backup goalie

I’ll keep saying it Huberdeau qualifies for CDN RCA program - a deal structured w $50M paid out in first 3-4 years of the deal and it’s a done deal
Do you really want 5 players making nearly 50M $ ? Look at Toronto. At some point it is a TEAM sport and money should be spread a bit more evenly thru the line up.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Do you really want 5 players making nearly 50M $ ? Look at Toronto. At some point it is a TEAM sport and money should be spread a bit more evenly thru the line up.
Which 5-players?

Price - $10.5M
Suzuki - $8M
PLD & Huberdeau - $17M combined
Total: $35M ($42M IF Caufield actually plays to a $7M type player)

In 3-4 years the cap will be close to / or above $100M. The ESPN deal is a mega bonanza for NHL and Price’s contract expires

Jul 6, 2016
Which 5-players?

Price - $10.5M
Suzuki - $8M
PLD & Huberdeau - $17M combined
Total: $35M

In 3-4 years the cap will be close to / or above $100M. The ESPN deal is a mega bonanza for NHL
I am very pessimistic about the "future". Not only hockey's future.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I am very pessimistic about the "future". Not only hockey's future.
Kraken will be a big time money maker + ESPN deal.

The pandemic killed the Leafs, no one could have forecasted that otherwise the cap would be over $100M right now and Leafs would’ve been fine

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
There's this thing called the salary cap. Maybe you've heard of it?

No one is taking Price's contract. He'll eventually go on LTIRetirement, but we still need to be within 10% over a given summer. Someone might take Gallagher if he can rebound, but we'll have to eat salary to do it. Then you'd have to dump Anderson and Hoffman. Doable, but you're talking about shedding 4 contracts.

Huberdeau is a pipe dream. If he doesn't sign before July 2023, he's likely going to command a 7 year $70-75 million contract. While PLD would be manageable, there needs to be money to give Caufield his next deal. Figure it to be not far from Suzuki's: eight years and likely in the area of $56 million. Then you have to have money down the road for Slaf's second deal and whatever top prospect you're likely to get in June of 2023.

Suzuki - 7.875
Caufield - 7.00
PLD - 7.00
Huberdeau - 10

That's almost $32 million. Montreal can't commit today what they think the cap will be tomorrow.

Stay the course.
It is doable.

I posted it earlier in this thread, I even gave Hubs 11 and PLD 7.8. Its not that difficult, just find a way to trade Hoffman and Dvorak. I was even keeping Anderson, Armia, Gallagher, the entire current D core and Price and Monty.

And all that at the current level of cap. Not taking into account any increase. Didn't even figure into play next year's 1st round pick at an ELC replacing Arnderson or Gallagher etc..

Trust me its doable.

Its still a dream, but its doable.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
But what if you want to keep drouin, so you get a french line and a slav line when you draft dalibor

Drouin pld huberdeau 16m - 18m need
Caufield suzuki anderson (enventually get rid of anderson for dach)
Mesar dach slaf (enventually shift dach up for slav line with dvorsky)
Scrub Dvorak scrub

Byron out get 3,4m
Dadonov out get 5m
Gallagher traded for a 4th and some low key 4th liner scrub (2m contract at best) get 4,5m
Hoffman for a 6th and a 1m 4ylth liner scrub get 3,5m

16-18m need
16,5 possibly free
I guess this is the year Drouin is going to put it together. 🤣

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
No need to dump gally/ price.
1. You sign Huberdeau on fair price next year. Drouin/dadonov/byron are leaving (14 millions cap space).
2. You bridge Caufield until 25/26. He still gonna be RFA). And at that year, Dvorak/Armia/savard are leaving, it creates 11,3 cap space.
3. You sign Dubois in 24/25. Contract of Hoffman and Edmundson will be out of board.

Bridge Caufield is not the best way to do, but If we want to acquire Huberdeau/Dubois, this is maybe the thing to do

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
No need to dump gally/ price.
1. You sign Huberdeau on fair price next year. Drouin/dadonov/byron are leaving (14 millions cap space).
2. You bridge Caufield until 25/26. He still gonna be RFA). And at that year, Dvorak/Armia/savard are leaving, it creates 11,3 cap space.
3. You sign Dubois in 24/25. Contract of Hoffman and Edmundson will be out of board.

Bridge Caufield is not the best way to do, but If we want to acquire Huberdeau/Dubois, this is maybe the thing to do
You would have to sign dubois as soon as next year, or else he will most likely be long term somewhere else

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He very well could have a 70-pts season as a complementary player without the go to francophone pressure… let alone UFA season

HuGo and MSL I’m sure are much more aware of this…

Attachments

• 1658594202899.png
    1658594202899.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 7

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Next year we lose due to contract expiration:

Dadonov - 5 mill
Drouin - 5.5 mill
Byron - 3.4 mill
Allen - 2.875 mill

That's $16.775mill

Potential trades out this season:

Dvorak - $4.45 mill
Hoffman - 4.5 mill

That's another $8.95 mill

which gives you total a potential open $25.725 mill. Not even discussing Armia, Gallagher or Anderson or Price. Assume they all stay.

Huberbeau - 11 mill
PLD - 7.8 mill
Caufield 6.7 mill

$25.5 mill. Our depth chart would be:

Slafkovski - Suzuki - Caufield
Huberdeau - PLD - Gallagher
Anderson - Dach - Armia

etc..

I mean not even factoring in Farrel, Kidney, Roy grabbing one of the RW spots. Ideally we get rid of Gallagher's contract as well and have a rookie take that spot.

That lineup fits under the cap, for a couple years. Top two lines mostly signed long term.

That’s a good forward lineup, what’s the defence pairings and goalies look like?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It is doable.

I posted it earlier in this thread, I even gave Hubs 11 and PLD 7.8. Its not that difficult, just find a way to trade Hoffman and Dvorak. I was even keeping Anderson, Armia, Gallagher, the entire current D core and Price and Monty.

And all that at the current level of cap. Not taking into account any increase. Didn't even figure into play next year's 1st round pick at an ELC replacing Arnderson or Gallagher etc..

Trust me its doable.

Its still a dream, but its doable.
It's just too EA Sports for me. Not realistic. Sure, economically you can fit it all in. You're just not going to find enough teams willing to take the salaries that need to move out.

Look at Kadri, he would appear to have found himself without a dance partner. He might have to do a one year deal to tide himself over until next summer. Or, he might have to settle for a long term deal with a team that wasn't on his list.

The flat(ish) cap has too many teams up against it. There's no guarantee of any sort of exponential growth that would be required for teams to help us so we can help ourselves.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
What does it take to acquire JESPER BRATT from the Devils. A near PPG winger RFA - only 23 - apparently the Devils may want to trade him - would he be a good guy for the Habs to target??

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What does it take to acquire JESPER BRATT from the Devils. A near PPG winger RFA - only 23 - apparently the Devils may want to trade him - would he be a good guy for the Habs to target??

Bro, he's 23. We're not contending. This isn't our window. We can't acquire him. Are you nuts? What if we win 17 games instead of 14 and affect our drafting odds by 0.74%?!?!

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
After a few drinks with their GM? Gallagher straight up. NJ, don’t even think about the details. We know it’s an incredible deal. Just sign here. You won’t regret it.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Bro, he's 23. We're not contending. This isn't our window. We can't acquire him. Are you nuts? What if we win 17 games instead of 14 and affect our drafting odds by 0.74%?!?!
I just think he's 23 and he could be a PPG star - lock him up now. He's a really good player!!

You’d rather bratt than pld who’s a centre?
You really really dislike pld
BRATT was PPG player - he could be a star 🌟

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
People need to get over this rebuilding thing. HuGo are using the same plan as in NYR, it's obvious. If they get the chance to put their hands on a PLD or Huberdeau, they will do it...especially being local boys on top of being excellent players.
Also Jesper Bratt would be a good add if the Devils can't or won't sign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad