Trade or No Trade?

Do the Stars make a trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
There are no more games to watch between now and the Trade Deadline. Knowing what you know now about this Dallas Stars team, does Nill make a trade despite having limited assets?

If you're feeling lucky ... call your shot.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think Dallas makes a trade. Nill preaches depth all the time. The flip side to that argument though is Dallas does have more than a few guys in the AHL that could play in the NHL today.

I'm curious to see if it actually works out should the trade happen, but I can't shake the feeling Joe Thornton is Nill's guy. I think he probably gets his guy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
A depth trade i can see but nothing major. Makes no sense. Are we close enough to trade our best prospects for a rental ? I don't know about that.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can see something minor but I don't think we will be moving one of our good prospects or future high picks.

Thornton screams Nill addition and he could be cheaper because of his trade clause, but him going to Boston would be fun. Even more fun would be him coming here and watching Seguin/Thornton against the team who gave up on them in the Finals.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I thought about making it a more complicated poll because that's something I'm curious about as well. Do the fans think Dallas should trade a top prospect?

I don't think they should, and I hope they don't. Over the past few days, I'm surprised it seems some people undervalue Dellandrea, but his upside is potentially just as key as Robertson and Harley. It's maybe not likely he becomes a ROR type player ... but do you really not want to at least see if it's possible?

Just for example .. how much better is this team if they're shutdown line can actually score. They're a terrifying team to play IMO if they could. That's the type of potential you might have with Dellandrea. He doesn't have to be Sidney Crosby or Nathan MacKinnon to be a very valuable piece for a long time for Dallas.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Derek Grant from Anaheim seems like someone we might target. Quality depth forward who could be fine as a regular scratch. Definitely an upgrade on Dowling.

Sounds like Anaheim wants to be busy, too.

Reactions: Henderson33

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can see something minor but I don't think we will be moving one of our good prospects or future high picks.

Thornton screams Nill addition and he could be cheaper because of his trade clause, but him going to Boston would be fun. Even more fun would be him coming here and watching Seguin/Thornton against the team who gave up on them in the Finals.

HAHA ... I had not even considered that angle ....the story lines man ....

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm gonna say no. I think it'll be a quiet next 24 hours for the Stars and they won't make any moves

Nill will say he likes where this team is at and something about our draft picks supply and the price of the players available

I have this odd feeling that it'll be a surprisingly busy deadline day for the rest of the league though...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars unlike many other teams are pretty much fully healthy. So they don't have to fill holes that injured players left. Meaning Stars won't pay prices some of the heavily injured teams will

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I thought about making it a more complicated poll because that's something I'm curious about as well. Do the fans think Dallas should trade a top prospect?

I don't think they should, and I hope they don't. Over the past few days, I'm surprised it seems some people undervalue Dellandrea, but his upside is potentially just as key as Robertson and Harley. It's maybe not likely he becomes a ROR type player ... but do you really not want to at least see if it's possible?

Just for example .. how much better is this team if they're shutdown line can actually score. They're a terrifying team to play IMO if they could. That's the type of potential you might have with Dellandrea. He doesn't have to be Sidney Crosby or Nathan MacKinnon to be a very valuable piece for a long time for Dallas.
It depends on who comes back. If it’s a Joe Nieuwendyk type trade I’m all for that. Need another scorer or playmaker. If it’s for a rental than I don’t have interest. I hate the notion of sit and wait and hope he becomes good one day. Honka was the same way when he was a prospect. No one wanted to give him up and look how that ended up. Prospects can be hit and miss. If Dallas can get someone who would be a game changer I say take it and make a run for the cup. That is the goal win the cup not prepare for the future and hold on to prospect hoping they win you a cup some day.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's my point though ... there's not been Joe Nieuwendyk type player discussed, and there's not one that's been mentioned as available. Sure ... if a guy surprisingly is available ... pull the trigger. IMO though ... no single player discussed is worth a top prospect.

It's definitely not Krieder or Pageau.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm still having a hard time seeing who comes out if we acquire someone worth playing

Come playoff time I could see it happening if some guys struggle but right now I just have a hard time seeing it. I guess for a good enough player you find a way to make room

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nill's going to sit on his hands for his last Deadline day as Stars GM.
And none of the players known to be available are worth Robertson or Harley.
Anyone/Everyone else go for it.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
That's my point though ... there's not been Joe Nieuwendyk type player discussed, and there's not one that's been mentioned as available. Sure ... if a guy surprisingly is available ... pull the trigger. IMO though ... no single player discussed is worth a top prospect.

It's definitely not Krieder or Pageau.
I agree neither Krieder or Pageau are worth the top prospects. But there has to be someone who Nill can go get. Maybe it’s a name that is not out in the rumor mill. He can’t go through this deadline and get Thornton and call it good. If they don’t make the WCF he needs to go. Nill decided to sign older players that means you want to win now. To wait for prospects to develop does not jive with what he has signed.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Trade for Thornton. Trade for Marleau. Shoot, trade for Lundqvist while we’re at it. Then, win the Cup as the all-time greatest sentimental team—everyone will be rooting for the Stars!—getting those beloved greats their Cup at last. It’ll be three times better than when Bourque lifted the Cup.

Then. . . blow it all up, and trade everyone away that’s older than 26.

Perfect.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
For once I actually hope he doesn't go out and do much. I'd be fine with like Thornton for a third or something. If he can flip Janmark for something similar that would be fine too. They've got at least a few more shots at it as constructed and there is no reason to jeopardize those seasons for this one. I like their chances.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I’m fine with him doing nothing. The only need is scoring and if that will cost us one of our few high value assets, then I get why he wouldn’t do it. If the player had term that’s a different story but with what’s rumored to be available, I don’t see much that is worth our 1st, JRob, Harley or TyD.

Thornton does seem like a Nill move though.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I voted no trade. Then when I saw all the Thornton talk yesterday, I thought for sure Thornton would be a Star. I did get excited by the idea so I was a little dissappointed yesterday, but now I am fine with not adding anyone. Depth additions seem to be the best type of additions at the TDL and that's not what we need anyway.

I don't like the Djuse trade though. Sure we got a 6th for someone who was not going to return but I'd rather keep him and increase the chances that Texas makes the playoffs.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
The only thing I can think of with the Djuse trade was maybe he was causing problems in cedar park. Maybe he had an attitude problem they did not want the kids around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad