Proposal: Trade Mrazek

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yes. Like I said, an established cost controlled young #1 defenseman. I'd take Doughty. I'd take Ekblad. I'd take Hedman. I'd take Josi. I'd take Pietrangelo.

None of those guys are available and their teams don't want or need a goalie. Which is why there's no actual trade that could be made that is worth it.

Yeah, I get the hypothetical he's asking. If you could get great value from Mrazek for a position of need, just ride out Howard and the rebuild is progressed in earnest. It's not crazy. It's just also not very practical given how coveted the Wings area of needs are.

Mrazek is young, he should sign a fairly reasonable RFA deal, and he's shown flashes of truly great play. Personally, I just keep him and keep building rather than take gamble you somehow pluck another great goalie in the draft. Goalies are always the last thing on your mind until you actually need one.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Every one of our goalie prospects aside from Mrazek is AT BEST a backup goalie in the making; this idea for a move feels like trying to fill a hole and instead creating another area of weakness. Trading Mrazek at this point would be senseless not only on the grounds that there are NO OTHER elite goaltenders that we could field, but also because his value remains to be established. Had he a couple of seasons under his belt as the starting goaltender, and had he proven to be a game changer in those seasons, his value would be maximized.

This idea is a combination of bad timing and selling one's own vital organs to pay the piper. I'd sooner trade Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Mantha, or saw my leg off to address this teams weaknesses, in that order. A vehement no, if you ask me.

The goalies? Agreed. They have no #1 Goaltending prospects.

It's great timing though. Mrazek will have his best value this off season.

Makes less than a million, RFA, great numbers.

Somebody will trade something good for him.

---

If Mrazek is a franchise goaltender, I'd prefer to trade him.

This team has holes, trading Mrazek would help fill those holes.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, I get the hypothetical he's asking. If you could get great value from Mrazek for a position of need, just ride out Howard and the rebuild is progressed in earnest. It's not crazy. It's just also not very practical given how coveted the Wings area of needs are.

Mrazek is young, he should sign a fairly reasonable RFA deal, and he's shown flashes of truly great play. Personally, I just keep him and keep building rather than take gamble you somehow pluck another great goalie in the draft. Goalies are always the last thing on your mind until you actually need one.

I would argue that Howard/Coreau/OEL or any of those guys > Mrazek/Coreau/current crap defense.

Fix the defense and suddenly the goaltending gets way better no matter who's in there.

But yeah, none of those deals are actually possible.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Everyone in this thread pretty much disagrees with you. If you just like the idea of trading Mrazek that's fine I guess. No one else in this thread thinks you will get anything close to equal value, let alone win out in any trade scenario that involves Mrazek.

Not much more I can say beyond that.

If everyone thinks I'm crazy, I don't mind.

After Detroit signs Mrazek, we can discuss this proposal.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

He should...

If you trade him now, you get good picks/prospects and don't have the cap hit.

If Mrazek wants 3 million over 3 years(low estimate) than Detroit has around 8.3 for next 3 years, with a goalie that will help them to a worse draft pick.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I am a big Mrazek fan, It would take a hell of a player or package to get me on board. He has the ability to steal a series.

Even though his aggressiveness can get him in trouble, I like that part of Mrazek's game. During the January run his decision making was excellent, picked great spots when to push the envelope and when to be reserved.

I also like his ability to forget about a goal or bad game and focus on the next play/start. His confidence level is off the charts, all qualities you really want in a goalie.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If we get OEL for Mrazek I think I'd do that. You can win without a stud goalie. Wings know that all too well. I think stud d-men are more important.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Awful idea. Mrazek has the potential of being an elite goalie in this league. He can be the backbone to our franchise for years to come. He is still young and if they do decide to rebuild, he will be entering his prime as a goalie once the rebuild is over and the team is ready to compete again.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Leave Jimmy Howard as the #1.

If this team is going to rebuild, keep Howard as the #1, whoever or Coreau as the backup.

Mrazek would be welcome on several teams around the league.

Is this an idea you could get behind? Or do you want to keep the young goalie?

I haven't made up my mind totally, but I thought it might make an interesting talking point.

This would be Harold Ballard level bad. This would be the level bad where, years later, you'd look back on this being the turning point of where everything went wrong.

The Howard supporters need to stop with this stuff.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If we get OEL for Mrazek I think I'd do that. You can win without a stud goalie. Wings know that all too well. I think stud d-men are more important.

Well I'm sure "Arizona GM to be named" is just dying to make his first stamp on the team trading away the franchise defender for another goalie. Not like they don't already have their own Jimmy Howard in Mike Smith collecting paychecks for sub-par performances.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You'll never get the value you want for Mrazek. Goalies don't have as much value as forwards or defensemen.

If Mrazek kept his early season performance up (obviously he didn't, so this isn't possible, but here's your previous season value indicator), you could be looking at a Schneider level return. That netted the Canucks the 9th overall pick, which turned into Bo Horvat. The defenders in that range were Morin, Morrissey, Pulock, and Zadorov.

Is that worth it? Depends on the year and who you draft.

LowFive

In Stevie We Trust
Jun 19, 2014
Really hoping youre another teams GM.

Don't confuse most important to the Wings with most valuable trade asset. I think he is as pivotal to the future success of the Wings. If he indeed is a top 5 NHL goalie (or at least has shown indicators or being a future star), the amount he provides our team vs what he would fetch on the trade market just doesn't line up.

As many have said, we just won't ever get what he is worth to us. Goalies are difficult to ***** trade value on. Such a crap shoot sometimes

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Edmonton seems like a good trading partner. Besides the whole getting a young stud defender in return part.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Trading Mrazek would be insane, even if he struggled down the stretch.

He'll probably be a top 5 goalie within the next 3 years. That's what I think anyways. You just don't trade guys like that....

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Opportunity cost. The value Wings would get via a trade from Mrazek is most likely less than the value he provides by playing for the Wings.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Leave Jimmy Howard as the #1.

If this team is going to rebuild, keep Howard as the #1, whoever or Coreau as the backup.

Mrazek would be welcome on several teams around the league.

Is this an idea you could get behind? Or do you want to keep the young goalie?

I haven't made up my mind totally, but I thought it might make an interesting talking point.

No Thanks on trading Mrazek, If we were to trade him it had better be a big package deal to bring a true #1 D man to the Motor City. Trading Mrazek in my opinion and holding on to Howard to be taking a major step back. We might as well head to a rebuild if we do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't want to trade Mrazek. He and Larkin are the only untouchables for me in the organization.

Exactly the same here with me, Those are the kind of guys you build your team around you don't trade them. Detroit right now can't afford to give up their best assets unless they plan on tanking for the next several years or so and that's so Un- Detroit like.

white galaxy*

i believe theres a glut of goalies approaching . its a simple position to play with proper training . theres way more than 60 good goalies on earth . bishop was tip of iceberg

what there isnt a glut of are athletic quick thinking dmen , and big bodied - soft handed - rugged centermen . so if i could move mrazek with say nyquist for a young nhl proven d or c i seriously look at it

then hire a real goalie coach and try to straighten howard out

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ONLY reason to trade him would be if he can be packaged with picks/propsects for a legitimate defenseman coming back.

Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Mrazek should definitely be available for the right price. Goalies are way too volatile and good ones on teams with great skaters are good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00