Speculation: Trade Jam Going to Open?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
pretty much every significant Free Agent has signed with the exception of Patrick Maroon. However it feels like several potential trades are still likely to happen. Are we going to see the logjam of the trade market open up shortly?

- Erik Karlsson (potentially with Bobby Ryan)
- Max Pacioretty
- Justin Faulk
- Jeff Skinner
- Artemi Panarin
- Garrett Sparks/Calvin Pickard
- Craig Anderson

There’s obviously quite a few of significant RFA’s unsigned as well that could potentially hit the trade market as well.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
My magic 8 ball says: Yes

I'd say:
Panarin to EDM
Karlsson to VGK
Pacioretty departs as UFA
Faulk to PIT
Skinner to COL
Pickard to EDM
Anderson to NYI

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Certainly seems like it. I just cant see most of those players not being traded before campm

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
pretty much every significant Free Agent has signed with the exception of Patrick Maroon. However it feels like several potential trades are still likely to happen. Are we going to see the logjam of the trade market open up shortly?

- Erik Karlsson (potentially with Bobby Ryan)
- Max Pacioretty
- Justin Faulk
- Jeff Skinner
- Artemi Panarin
- Garrett Sparks/Calvin Pickard
- Craig Anderson

There’s obviously quite a few of significant RFA’s unsigned as well that could potentially hit the trade market as well.

Off chance Gardiner is available from the Leafs too because they were looking at CDH (another LHD)

LA has excess defense

Rick Nash future is kind of up in the air too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
just a matter of time, though I wouldn't be shocked if it's TVR rather then Faulk that's moved out, especially if the Canes can get a mid 20s Quad A type goalie + a pick just in case one of Mrazek or Darling is struggling out of camp.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
just a matter of time, though I wouldn't be shocked if it's TVR rather then Faulk that's moved out, especially if the Canes can get a mid 20s Quad A type goalie + a pick just in case one of Mrazek or Darling is struggling out of camp.
Pickard+mid round pick for TVR? Could def see this happen.

But when is Fox going to have a spot open? I could see both Faulk & TVR shipped out
after signing lehner the isles aren't gonna give up assets for anderson
I've never liked Lehner but you're probably right

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I hope so. GM’s probably want to get their work done and take a vacation. Let’s hope the next week has a bunch of trades.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pickard+mid round pick for TVR? Could def see this happen.

But when is Fox going to have a spot open? I could see both Faulk & TVR shipped out

I've never liked Lehner but you're probably right
Fox I see signing after this NCAA season. Harvard's going to have a strong team by all indications, and he'll probably be able to jump right to the Canes after the season ends. Faulk can be moved out at the deadline or, if the Canes are solidly in playoff position, before the draft to make room. And it's likely preferable for Fox to take this route as well, kills a year of his ELC in the process.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When are bean and fleurys ETA? Haven't seen them much since jr

Fleury spent last season platooning with Hanifin in the Top 4. He's already arrived.

It was suggested that Bean would have made the team out of camp last season, had it not been for the depth on Carolina's left side. Unfortunately for him, he's again locked out of NHL job. He'll spend the next 1 to 3 years in the AHL, until a move is made involving him or someone above him on the depth chart.

Reactions: Unsustainable

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
My magic 8 ball says: Yes

I'd say:
Panarin to EDM
Karlsson to VGK
Pacioretty departs as UFA
Faulk to PIT
Skinner to COL
Pickard to EDM
Anderson to NYI

Pickard to EDM? What The Fudsicles! We have three goalies already. And Panarin is too costly for the Oil (no cap space).

Karlsson to VGK might be the only reasonable choice from the list.

I predict Faulk for Patches.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Pickard re-signed
Players on NHL contracts can't be send to the ECHL unless they give permission or unless their contract is an Entry Level Contract.

Leafs have Andersen McElhinney Sparks Pickard Kaskisuo, so whomever #5 is will have to sit basically all season waiting for an injury to happen, or Leafs can hope the guy accepts an ECHL assignment. This is mostly not done, as it can ruin careers and makes the team look bad to potential future players.

Vegas will have the same issue once Dansk signs. Fleury Subban Dansk Lagace Fucale.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What is a Quad A type goalie?
Like AAAA, ie: top level number one?
If so, good luck getting that for TVR.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Players on NHL contracts can't be send to the ECHL unless they give permission or unless their contract is an Entry Level Contract.

Leafs have Andersen McElhinney Sparks Pickard Kaskisuo, so whomever #5 is will have to sit basically all season waiting for an injury to happen, or Leafs can hope the guy accepts an ECHL assignment. This is mostly not done, as it can ruin careers and makes the team look bad to potential future players.

Vegas will have the same issue once Dansk signs. Fleury Subban Dansk Lagace Fucale.
He's already been to the ECHL so I doubt it would hurt is non-existent value.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What is a Quad A type goalie?
Like AAAA, ie: top level number one?
If so, good luck getting that for TVR.

No, it's a baseball reference. AAAA as in too good for AAA, the top minor league, not really showing enough at the major league level to have earned to stay there.

He's referring to guys like Sparks, Sateri, and Jarry.

Reactions: FishManSam

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No, it's a baseball reference. AAAA as in too good for AAA, the top minor league, not really showing enough at the major league level to have earned to stay there.

He's referring to guys like Sparks, Sateri, and Jarry.
Ah, that makes sense then for a TVR-level player. Thanks

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He's already been to the ECHL so I doubt it would hurt is non-existent value.
Many goalies play in the ECHL during their rookie contract. Hardly any good ones play there afterwards. Pickard / Kaskisuo will exercise their union rights and refuse to be assigned there and then ask for a trade when they don't ever play him. Meanwhile his teammates, agent and union (NHLPA) all take note that the Leafs like to sign guys looking to play well and advance their careers, and then never play them all season.

It's simpler and classier to sign only one of Pickard / Kaskisuo OR to make a goalie trade before the drama happens. Dubas seems smart and classy to me, so I expect a trade, assuming none if the goaies get an offseason injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad