Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1915463

If you have a problem with something someone wrote, here are three options:

1. If you disagree with their opinion, write an opposing response to it and stay civil

2. If you believe they violated site rules, click on the "Yield" symbol under their avatar to report it to moderators

3. Ignore it and move on

Keep your cool and keep the sarcasm to a respectful minimum.

Speculate away, armchair GM's.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Spurgeon said:
He was last year.

2nd highest amount of PK time (among forwards) behind Brodziak, definitely viewed as the #1 PK unit.
That's fine but Parise and Koivu are better defensive forwards than Haula. They just didn't see PK time because they are better suited for offensive situations and resting during the PK. We could probably roll with a Graovac-Haula-Brodin-Suter PK and it'd do well. Then throw Koivu-Parise-Scandella-Folin for the last minute to 30 seconds.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's fine but Parise and Koivu are better defensive forwards than Haula. They just didn't see PK time because they are better suited for offensive situations and resting during the PK. We could probably roll with a Graovac-Haula-Brodin-Suter PK and it'd do well. Then throw Koivu-Parise-Scandella-Folin for the last minute to 30 seconds.

We would rather Parise can save his icetime for 5v5 and PP instead of PK whenever possible. Yes, Zach will see some PK time, but it's usually at the end of a PK with Granlund, so they can shift right back to offense once the PK is done.

Haula is an elite PK player, and with Brodz gone... easily the best option there. 4th line doesn't skate much, but he can munch minutes on the PK and save other players from having to.

Players don't usually kill for a minute straight unless they can't get the puck out of the zone, otherwise frequent changes - 20-30 second shifts if they can keep clearing the puck on a really good kill.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
FWIW, of all forwards with 50 short handed minutes last year, Carter was the best at suppressing shot attempts. And it was by a relatively significant margin. Haula and Zucker were a close 3rd and 2nd respectively.

In fact, over the last 4 years, Carter is number 1 league wide amongst forwards in suppressing shot at attempts, at 73.58 SAT/60 while shorthanded. Finshing as high as 2nd, and as low as 15th in the league in any individual year. So its been shown to be atleast somewhat a repeatable skill. I'd say he's probably our best PKer, and him and Haula will see a lot of short handed time.

Last edited:

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
forthewild said:
Thats not what Talon is saying, he is saying you need guys who can both play hockey and are able to drop the gloves if need be, not they they will always drop the gloves. Pure fighters are a dying breed, but guys like Brodz/Carter who play a solid defensive game and are able to be tough are worth while to have on your team as long as their cost is controlled.

Never said it was. Read my post again.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In regards to Spurgeon's next deal, from the previous thread, I would offer a middle ground between Scandella's deal (5 x $4M per) and Leddy's deal (7 x $5.5M per):

6 x $4.75M per

If he declines, play out the year and explore trade offers next summer.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In regards to Spurgeon's next deal, from the previous thread, I would offer a middle ground between Scandella's deal (5 x $4M per) and Leddy's deal (7 x $5.5M per):

6 x $4.75M per

If he declines, play out the year and explore trade offers next summer.

you've got my vote for GM

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Score.

Pretty sure it's not going to happen though. As long as Dumba doesn't crash and burn, they'll trade Spurgeon and elevate Folin for 1/4 of the price.

While fans want to keep Spurgeon they have to remember this is a business and saving cap whenever possible is key. If Spurgeon wants $4m then sign me up to keep him. If he wants anywhere near $5m+ then ship him for one of these deals as proposed on the main board:

Nyquist+Pulkkinen+Kindl for Coyle+Spurgeon

Or

CBJ
Nyquist
Spurgeon

MINNY
Atkinson
2016 cbj first

DETROIT
Johnson
2017 2nd cbj

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I've been made well aware that we aren't dealing Spurgeon for prospects. Nyquist is proven top 6 RW, Pulkkinen has the making to break out in a big way next season and Kindl has an extremely cheap buyout.

Billy Mays Here*

Too bad Philly has so many young promising d-men prospects, otherwise I'd definitely be interested in offering Spurgeon+ for either Schenn or Couturier, but then again, both of those guys would likely command a better d-man coming back then Spurgeon.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
While fans want to keep Spurgeon they have to remember this is a business and saving cap whenever possible is key. If Spurgeon wants $4m then sign me up to keep him. If he wants anywhere near $5m+ then ship him for one of these deals as proposed on the main board:

Nyquist+Pulkkinen+Kindl for Coyle+Spurgeon

Or

CBJ
Nyquist
Spurgeon

MINNY
Atkinson
2016 cbj first

DETROIT
Johnson
2017 2nd cbj

Minnesota does this without hesitation. Detroit declines. IMO, at least. If that deal happened I would be joyous.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota does this without hesitation. Detroit declines. IMO, at least. If that deal happened I would be joyous.

That was proposed by a Detroit fan... Then others were agreeing it to be a good deal. It's pretty fair IMO.

Nyquist=Spurgeon
Coyle=Pulkkinen+Kindl

Kindl isn't very good and carries a $2.75m cap hit so we did get a cap dump. If we bought him out it wouldn't be over $1m at any time.

Last edited:

J22*

The Wild don't even consider that deal. They might have interest in something around Spurgeon/Nyquist, but Coyle for Pulkkinen certainly isn't close to what would even things out. Adding $3M worth of dead money from Detroit just makes it an even bigger joke of a trade.

My favorite part though, is the Wild package Spurgeon and one of the young forwards, and come out older, more expensive, and worse off at center.:help:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's insane to think the Wild don't even consider that deal. Adding Nyquist and Pulkkinen is a HUGE upgrade to our right wing depth and we have Haula/Graovac who can fight over 3rd line center at a much lower cost than Coyle's $3.2m. With Kindl we can keep him for a year and then buy him out for a cheap $400k and $1m. The Wild's defensive group will drop a bit but we still have plenty of depth in case of injury. The forward group will take off with the addition of 27 goal scorer and a likely 10-15 goal rookie (think Nino's 14 goal first year with us). Then we have Backstrom-Vanek-Koivu coming off the books in back-to-back-to-back seasons. If cap room becomes an issue we have a choice between a Pominville trade or a Vanek buyout. When Vanek leaves:

Parise-Granlund-Nyquist
Zucker-Koivu-Pominville
Nino-Graovac-Pulkkinen
Schroeder-Haula-Fontaine

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I don't think it would be a bad deal at all, and definitely would consider it. Reasoning being that while Coyle can play C, he is IMO better at RW. It is currently bit of a weakness for us, but can be turned into a strength with the acquisition of Nyquist and Pulkkinen, one already a bona fide top-6 scorer and other tracking to become one.

Losing Spurgeon would definitely hurt. A lot. I would keep him, if possible. Still, I understand that if we have to trade someone, he is going to be the most realistic target in terms of receiving fair value and being a movable asset.

The issue is that one winger at least has to go at that point to gain a center, unless Graovac amazes us all on camp. Why? Because our depth chart would look something like this:

LW: Parise, Vanek, Nino, Zucker, Carter
RW: Pominville, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Fontaine, Schroeder
C: Granlund, Koivu, Haula, Graovac

Obviously Carter and even Schroeder can play C if necessary, but still, that would create a bit of an issue. Namely, who do you put on 4th line? Zucker - Haula - Fontaine? While it's an interesting and definitely fast option, I don't think Yeo would actually ice that line.

But, let's say it goes through and we trade Spurgeon and Coyle. Going into next season, our lines would look something like this:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Niederreiter - Koivu - Nyquist
Vanek - Graovac - Pulkkinen
Zucker - Haula - Fontaine
Carter, Schroeder

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Kindl - Folin/Reilly
Reilly/Folin

Those are not definitive lines, just something I though of quickly. It's an interesting idea, but in real world... might not work.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's insane to think the Wild don't even consider that deal. Adding Nyquist and Pulkkinen is a HUGE upgrade to our right wing depth and we have Haula/Graovac who can fight over 3rd line center at a much lower cost than Coyle's $3.2m. With Kindl we can keep him for a year and then buy him out for a cheap $400k and $1m. The Wild's defensive group will drop a bit but we still have plenty of depth in case of injury. The forward group will take off with the addition of 27 goal scorer and a likely 10-15 goal rookie (think Nino's 14 goal first year with us). Then we have Backstrom-Vanek-Koivu coming off the books in back-to-back-to-back seasons. If cap room becomes an issue we have a choice between a Pominville trade or a Vanek buyout. When Vanek leaves:

Parise-Granlund-Nyquist
Zucker-Koivu-Pominville
Nino-Graovac-Pulkkinen
Schroeder-Haula-Fontaine
Flaw in your argument... Graovac hasn't earned an NHL spot yet, and I'd be afraid to give him one without much competition. Haula, there are people on this board who question whether they want him as the 4th line center right now let alone 3rd line center due to his down year.

Can't just give away center depth we don't have.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Flaw in your argument... Graovac hasn't earned an NHL spot yet, and I'd be afraid to give him one without much competition. Haula, there are people on this board who question whether they want him as the 4th line center right now let alone 3rd line center due to his down year.

Can't just give away center depth we don't have.

Haula or Graovac as a 3rd line center isn't the end of the world. Carter is locked in as our 4th line center. If 3C is our biggest issue then damn we've got it good. What about Matt Cullen? :sarcasm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Haula or Graovac as a 3rd line center isn't the end of the world. Carter is locked in as our 4th line center. If 3C is our biggest issue then damn we've got it good. What about Matt Cullen? :sarcasm:

You're right, it's not the end of the world if they can handle it... but it really hurts the team's playoff chances if neither of them are ready for it.

Don't hand a position over to a player until you are absolutely sure he can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad