Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not so sure of the $4.5m+ for Spurgeon when we have more pressing needs with the forward group. What if we made a trade of Spurgeon+Coyle+pick for Nyquist+Mantha/Pulkkinen? Detroit gains another really good RHD and a replacement for Nyquist. Minnesota gains tremendous RW depth and can fill the 3C spot with Graovac.

Parise-Granlund-Nyquist (17 minutes)
Zucker-Koivu-Pominville (16 minutes)
Vanek-Graovac-Nino (14 minutes)
Schroeder-Carter-Fontaine (13 minutes)

Suter-Brodin (24 minutes)
Scandella-Dumba (20 minutes)
Reilly-Folin (16 minutes)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The pressbox. He could replace Carter as 4th line center if he ups his play.

Pretty sure Haula plays over Schroeder with Brodziak gone. PK will get him in the lineup. He was one of our best pk players along with Brodziak... and now he's gone.

Carter - Haula - Fontaine

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We can't afford to keep everyone. The salary cap won't allow it. Every team has to get rid of good players at some point. Spurgeon will be on from us.

And Spurgeon is more valuable than most, lose other parts that are good but not as good.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And Spurgeon is more valuable than most, lose other parts that are good but not as good.

Who? How?

Brodin and Dumba shouldn't be let go.

Scandella is one of the few players the Wild has, who has size and can use it.

Suter is not movable.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pretty sure Haula plays over Schroeder with Brodziak gone. PK will get him in the lineup. He was one of our best pk players along with Brodziak... and now he's gone.

I'd rather have a Schroeder-Haula-Fontaine line than a Haula-Carter-Fontaine line. I'm sure Carter could do pk along with Haula but I want to roll four scoring lines next year.

Special teams:
PP
Parise-Granlund-Nyquist
Dumba-Scandella

Pominville-Koivu-Vanek
Brodin-Reilly

PK
Koivu-Parise
Suter-Brodin

Carter/Haula-Fontaine
Scandella-Folin

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Who? How?

If we can get Spurgeon under similar terms, i'd trade Brodin or Scandella over him(after this season of course). Best possession player, best passer, best point producer.

When he's on the ice, the ice is tilted in our favor. And has been consistently for 4 years, regardless of who he plays with. He makes absolutely everyone better in a way no one else has shown they can do.

Post Script: I should mention, first we explore dumping Vanek, and then Pominville before trading any of the D. But if it comes down to it, Brodin or Scandyman if you have to. Again after the season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd rather have a Schroeder-Haula-Fontaine line than a Haula-Carter-Fontaine line. I'm sure Carter could do pk along with Haula but I want to roll four scoring lines next year.

Special teams:
PP
Parise-Granlund-Nyquist
Dumba-Scandella

Pominville-Koivu-Vanek
Brodin-Reilly

PK
Koivu-Parise
Suter-Brodin

Carter/Haula-Fontaine
Scandella-Folin
At some point, someone on the team will have to fight. I'd rather it be Carter than have to dress Prosser.

Plus, Carter is really the only physical forward we have who can throw a hit effectively. You need SOMEONE who can and is willing to do so.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
At some point, someone on the team will have to fight. I'd rather it be Carter than have to dress Prosser.

Plus, Carter is really the only physical forward we have who can throw a hit effectively. You need SOMEONE who can and is willing to do so.

Scandella, Dumba, Carter, Nino, Prosser and Graovac all could drop the gloves at the right time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Scandella, Dumba, Carter, Nino, Prosser and Graovac all could drop the gloves at the right time.

Only Carter and Prosser have the record to back that up though.

Nino is more the time to aggravate players, and walk away. That's why all the after whistle jostling after him, yet he doesn't fight.

Also, the last thing we need is Nino, Scandella or Dumba breaking their hand in a fight ala Chara. They're too valuable to ask them to go drop the gloves.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Why do we even need a fighter? The object is to run four scoring lines and three reliable and offensive pairings. We have guys that can mix it up but we don't need a fighter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why do we even need a fighter? The object is to run four scoring lines and three reliable and offensive pairings. We have guys that can mix it up but we don't need a fighter.

I wouldn't consider any of them a "fighter", just someone that's willing to fight, as it will happen from time to time.

The days of enforcers are gone, now are the days of actual hockey players that occasionally fight. Brodziak was one, but he's gone. I'd rather have Carter in the lineup than Prosser.

Carter is an effective forechecker... and Haula and Fontaine can provide offense well with just about anyone... when Haula is on his game... which I'm guessing he's going to have a resurgence this year.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

The object is to run 4 lines who are able to work together to win games, you don't need 4 scoring lines, you need your 4th line to be able to chip in sure but to be able to control and keep the opposing top lines in check.

Hawks didn't run 4 scoring lines, they had a very good shutdown line who scored here and there. You need toughness in your line up, you need guys who can mix it up but at the same time play hockey.

Soft team are able to pile on the points in the regular season but fall apart in the playoffs and if we are going to run 4 soft scoring lines, or focus on having 4 scoring lines we won't get anywhere in the playoffs, balance is key to being a winner. Look at the Hawks, they have their talent but they also have their grit, we don't have the likes of Kane but it doesn't mean we can't have a balanced team.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
8 fights in the playoffs. 5 in one series. Fighting shouldn't be a deciding factor on anyone playing.

Thats not what Talon is saying, he is saying you need guys who can both play hockey and are able to drop the gloves if need be, not they they will always drop the gloves. Pure fighters are a dying breed, but guys like Brodz/Carter who play a solid defensive game and are able to be tough are worth while to have on your team as long as their cost is controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad