Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Continued from here

If you have a problem with something someone wrote, here are three options:

1. If you disagree with their opinion, write an opposing response to it and stay civil

2. If you believe they violated site rules, click on the "Yield" symbol under their avatar to report it to moderators

3. Ignore it and move on

Keep your cool and keep the sarcasm to a respectful minimum.

Stay on topic.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Wild11MN said:
Prediction time. Do you think Dubnyk is our starting goalie next year? If so, what contract? If not, who is? Give me two words - yes or no, and a different name or contract length.

I've changed my mind, so I'm saying yes, 4/$4.5.

Curious to see what people think. It's your prediction, not what you would do.

I could see a long term 5 yr, $20 million contract.

Gives him that big payday he wants and gives us a workable AAV at $4 million.

Even if he regressed back to his EDM numbers (.915 SV%), it'd still be a fair deal imo.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
So to get a 1C we'd need to trade Brodin. But when we are trading Brodin we will only accept a 70pt 22 year old or younger center. Yep we are never getting a 1C. Oh Well
Honestly, yes. That's what it would take for me to want to part with a player like Brodin. He's on a sweetheart contract for a very long time, is already pretty much a shut-down defenseman and shows the skills to improve in the offensive end. To trade Brodin. the player we get back would have to be a massive upgrade over what we already have at the 1C spot, the player would have to be of similar age/NHL experience, and similar upside.

The unfortunate thing is, those players aren't generally available (and are rare to begin with), and not everyone agrees on who a #1 center is. Our team is also built from the defense end, forward. Brodin likely has more value to us due to that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fair enough on Brodin. I think there is one potential 1C we could get without Brodin: Draisaitl. It'd take something like Spurgeon+ to get him and a year or two for him to make an impact at the NHL level.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Wild11MN said:
Prediction time. Do you think Dubnyk is our starting goalie next year? If so, what contract? If not, who is? Give me two words - yes or no, and a different name or contract length.

I've changed my mind, so I'm saying yes, 4/$4.5.

Curious to see what people think. It's your prediction, not what you would do.

Yes. 4 years, 4.3M per.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Fair enough on Brodin. I think there is one potential 1C we could get without Brodin: Draisaitl. It'd take something like Spurgeon+ to get him and a year or two for him to make an impact at the NHL level.

If we could get a "potential" number one center prospect for a Spurgeon package I'd probably be on board given our cap, RD depth, and lack of system talent.

Honestly, I think the Wild's best chances to lock down a #1 center are...

1. Granlund continuing his year by year improvement in one area or another (skating, face offs, shooting this year)
2. Trading for a pre-NHL center prospect (Draisaitl, etc) or a young, discontent NHLer (Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, "Niederreiter")
3. Getting lucky and drafting our own.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wonder if Dallas would be interested in #12+#42 for Spurgeon+#20. Then we could take one of Connor or Barzal or Zacha if any of them make it that far.

Even if Granlund improves, who plays 2C when Koivu's contract runs out?

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

I agree. He seems to be the odd man out in EDM center depth chart. But I'd still keep Granlund, the ideal would be have two offensive centers and Koivu in the 3rd. Then we could say Wild has depth ;)

I just wonder what that + would be. I definitely would not give Nino. Coyle, maybe but not Nino.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wonder if Dallas would be interested in #12+#42 for Spurgeon+#20. Then we could take one of Connor or Barzal or Zacha if any of them make it that far.

Even if Granlund improves, who plays 2C when Koivu's contract runs out?

Hopefully our 2015 1st round draft pick. 4 years out should be enough time.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree. He seems to be the odd man out in EDM center depth chart. But I'd still keep Granlund, the ideal would be have two offensive centers and Koivu in the 3rd. Then we could say Wild has depth ;)

I just wonder what that + would be. I definitely would not give Nino. Coyle, maybe but not Nino.
I'd probably do Coyle+Spurgeon based on Draisait's potential. Not sure what Edmonton fans think.
I hope not. I don't think he's a long term solution at C.
Hopefully our 2015 1st round draft pick. 4 years out should be enough time.

I guess I could see Merkley/Eriksson Ek/White (still not sold on him but there was some convincing done) being our 2nd line center.

So what do you guys think the lines will be next year?

I'd like to try this:
Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Nino
Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine
Haula-Graovac-Schroeder

Suter-Folin
Brodin-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
(each receive 20 minutes a night)

Dubnyk
Kuemper

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd do Coyle and Spurgeon for Draisaitl. Spurgeon is likely gone anyway, so it's not like we're giving up much to upgrade from Coyle to Draisaitl.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So what do you guys think the lines will be next year?

I'd like to try this:
Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Nino
Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine
Haula-Graovac-Schroeder

Suter-Folin
Brodin-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
(each receive 20 minutes a night)

Dubnyk
Kuemper

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Zucker - Koivu - Fontaine
Vanek - Coyle -Niederreiter
Whoever - Haula - Whoever

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Leopold - Dumba

If Graovac or Haula make a splash and take the #3C spot, Coyle moves to the Koivu/Zucker RW.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I'd do Coyle and Spurgeon for Draisaitl. Spurgeon is likely gone anyway, so it's not like we're giving up much to upgrade from Coyle to Draisaitl.

i worry about this part, not sure it will be an upgrade long-term. could still be a late blooming pf type center for all we know

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As a 2nd line C? Yeah, I think he'd be fine in that position. He's been improving each year.

I think 50 points is the barrier. He needs to get up to 20+30 or something like that, and still maintain his defensive responsibilities. Anyway, I still think he's much better suited for the wing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The problem with Draisaitl is that he's still at least 2 years away from being a difference maker on an NHL playoff team. We need a guy that can contribute next season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The problem with Draisaitl is that he's still at least 2 years away from being a difference maker on an NHL playoff team. We need a guy that can contribute next season.

Yes and no. Depends on your timeline. If you want to salvage Koivu's and Pominville's chances at a Cup here, then yes; if you're already looking past them and are trying to put together the best team you can for when the Granlund/Brodin/Nino/Zucker/Dumba group hits their 25-30 years, then it's something to look at. But it depends on a couple things, a) the belief that Draisaitl is a future 80 point #1C, and b) the acceptance that Spurgeon has not shot of being with the organization after next year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes and no. Depends on your timeline. If you want to salvage Koivu's and Pominville's chances at a Cup here, then yes; if you're already looking past them and are trying to put together the best team you can for when the Granlund/Brodin/Nino/Zucker/Dumba group hits their 25-30 years, then it's something to look at. But it depends on a couple things, a) the belief that Draisaitl is a future 80 point #1C, and b) the acceptance that Spurgeon has not shot of being with the organization after next year.

80 point #1C no, but only 5 players had 80+ points last season. 70+ point #1C? Maybe, but still only 19 guys had 70+ points.

The 30th highest scoring C had 55 points. I think Draisaitl is definitely capable of 60-70 in his prime the way scoring is nowadays. And I'm ok with that.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The Oilers will make a move, it just is a matter of when.

Brodin + Kuemper for RNH

Dumba + Kuemper for Yak

Spurgeon + Kuemper for Eberle

Just keep hammering away until they accept one of those deals.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yes, I totally agree we can just give up on the vets and rebuild with some more young players like Draisaitl.

But if we are doing that, we can be tossing in any of the Granlund/Nino/Zucker/Coyle forward core, because each one brings a needed skill set to the group. I'd even toss in Haula to that group despite his uneven play.

Going that route, we would be better suited by trading vets for picks and then using those picks as assets to add to a defenseman package. Also, aside from Scandella, I think all defensemen should be on the table, even in a rebuild, because there is some enough overlapp between Brodin/Spurgeon/Dumba that any one could be moved without hurting the team too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad