Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency IX - Wild Looking For A Defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthestone*

This whole mess is just further confirmation that Fletcher should've gotten something done for Bernier. Backstrom would be in a rocking chair where he belongs and Kuemper wouldn't be making crazy contract demands.

Way bigger mess-up than the Leddy trade. Sigh.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
still if its true, playing the khl card is hilarious. have fun! he's still our property when he comes crawling back.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It needs to be repeated that Keumper has zero leverage with his demands. Fletcher could let him waste an entire year's worth of salary sitting out without impacting the Wild, who have two good goalies signed already and a third one, Bryz, who can be signed at a moment's notice.

It is crazy that people think the Wild goalie situation is worse that a team with a clear #1 and no good backup options. Those teams a really screwed if there is a injury. The Wild have already proven they can handle something like that.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Bryz, that sneaky son of..!! I bet he's been telling stories how beautiful and happy place Russia is. Great people, tons of money, free vodka, caviar and champagne, cuban cigars, fast cars, gold chains thick as weightlifter's thighs, diamond rings so heavy you can't move your arms, beautiful young women, spas and saunas made of marble and gold, peace and love.. happy life without worries.

Just that Ilya himself could re-sign with the Wild.

:sarcasm:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
In Russo's blog, he says Kuemper and his agent want term and "big money". To me, that confirms what Mileski said today in that he want's a contract that pays him more than Backstrom's per... Which is ridiculous.

Russo also said Nino's discussions aren't going great... Watch all these kids contracts be like pulling teeth.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
In Russo's blog, he says Kuemper and his agent want term and "big money". To me, that confirms what Mileski said today in that he want's a contract that pays him more than Backstrom's per... Which is ridiculous.

Russo also said Nino's discussions aren't going great... Watch all these kids contracts be like pulling teeth.

Bolded part doesn't sound nice. What's wrong with today's... But in all seriousness, I thought that at least Nino wouldn't be a problem.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm going to assume Kuemper misses a few weeks, maybe a couple months, then signs a 1-year 1-way deal.

I'm also going to assume Nino signs a 3-year deal in the days before camp starts.

Usually these things work themselves out.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This whole mess is just further confirmation that Fletcher should've gotten something done for Bernier. Backstrom would be in a rocking chair where he belongs and Kuemper wouldn't be making crazy contract demands.

Way bigger mess-up than the Leddy trade. Sigh.

Getting a little over-dramatic aren't we? Even if Kuemper signs in the KHL, he's still our property when he comes back.

Second of all, who knows what it would have taken to get Bernier. Maybe it jeopardized our future too much, and that's why he didn't pull the trigger on anything. I'd rather miss on Bernier than create two holes in the future for him now.

Third of all, I don't know what you're trying to imply, but even if we had gotten Bernier, Kuemper would still be the third goalie behind him and Harding.

Lastly, you're acting like the Leddy trade was even a mess up at this point. This is the same Leddy who was benched in the playoffs because he can't play a lick of defense.

tomthestone*

Getting a little over-dramatic aren't we? Even if Kuemper signs in the KHL, he's still our property when he comes back.

Second of all, who knows what it would have taken to get Bernier. Maybe it jeopardized our future too much, and that's why he didn't pull the trigger on anything. I'd rather miss on Bernier than create two holes in the future for him now.

Third of all, I don't know what you're trying to imply, but even if we had gotten Bernier, Kuemper would still be the third goalie behind him and Harding.

Lastly, you're acting like the Leddy trade was even a mess up at this point. This is the same Leddy who was benched in the playoffs because he can't play a lick of defense.

Matt Frattin got the Leafs Bernier. I wouldn't cough up Coyle or Granlund, but at the time it sounded like Zucker and a little extra weight could've been enough for the Wild to nab Bernier. We'll never know, but I just wish Fletcher could have gotten something done. With Bernier in town Kuemper wouldn't have made much of a contribution (if any) to the big club, and wouldn't be in any position to negotiate for dollars or contract terms.

Trust me, I never worried much about the Leddy trade. We definitely lost that swap, but I was over it the minute I saw Brodin skate at the NHL level. The Wild maybe wouldn't have drafted Brodin with Leddy in the fold, and I like all three of our lefty defenders (Suter, Brodin, Scandella) more than Leddy. By a mile. I was merely trying to point out that a lot of fans are still up in arms about dealing Leddy, when I find a deal that didn't get done to be a bigger mistake based on the limited information that leaked on the Wild's interest in Bernier.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
I wonder how these things reflect on the players in the locker room.

Frankly, I almost want him to walk at this point. Not that he isn't a good goalie or anything like that, I just hate that (perceived) mentality where players seem to be putting themselves before the team.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I wonder how these things reflect on the players in the locker room.

Frankly, I almost want him to walk at this point. Not that he isn't a good goalie or anything like that, I just hate that (perceived) mentality where players seem to be putting themselves before the team.

He won't be playing in the NHL unless someone offersheets him or the Wild trade his rights, so he can't 'walk' per se.

If he's truly asking for more than Bäckström (with term), then I hope he enjoys Siberia.

I would definitely be willing to give him a 1-way deal and pay him more than most here (as long as it's a short contract), but big term and money is too much to ask for. At this point he doesn't have the showings for an expensive long term deal.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Weird thing about the Leddy trade is that Fletcher probably would not have signed Spurgeon had he not immediately felt the need to fix the mistake.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Weird thing about the Leddy trade is that Fletcher probably would not have signed Spurgeon had he not immediately felt the need to fix the mistake.

Maybe, maybe not. Leddy might have still been playing for the U of M when we signed Spurgeon. Everything at this point is speculation.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Bolded part doesn't sound nice. What's wrong with today's... But in all seriousness, I thought that at least Nino wouldn't be a problem.
Same. I thought he liked it here and would have been one of the first to sign. But I guess like Kemps, he's in it for the money.

I'm going to assume Kuemper misses a few weeks, maybe a couple months, then signs a 1-year 1-way deal.

I'm also going to assume Nino signs a 3-year deal in the days before camp starts.

Usually these things work themselves out.
Or either Harding or Backs get injured in that time, giving Kemps and his agent more power.

I say tell Kemps to have fun in the khl and just focus on signing Nino.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Matt Frattin got the Leafs Bernier. I wouldn't cough up Coyle or Granlund, but at the time it sounded like Zucker and a little extra weight could've been enough for the Wild to nab Bernier. We'll never know, but I just wish Fletcher could have gotten something done. With Bernier in town Kuemper wouldn't have made much of a contribution (if any) to the big club, and wouldn't be in any position to negotiate for dollars or contract terms.

Trust me, I never worried much about the Leddy trade. We definitely lost that swap, but I was over it the minute I saw Brodin skate at the NHL level. The Wild maybe wouldn't have drafted Brodin with Leddy in the fold, and I like all three of our lefty defenders (Suter, Brodin, Scandella) more than Leddy. By a mile. I was merely trying to point out that a lot of fans are still up in arms about dealing Leddy, when I find a deal that didn't get done to be a bigger mistake based on the limited information that leaked on the Wild's interest in Bernier.
They wanted kuemper and Zucker.

tomthestone*

They wanted kuemper and Zucker.

I would have said that's a perfectly fair deal at the time. I'd say the same now. Bernier played 55 games last year with a .922 save percentage. I doubt Kuemper ever plays 55 games in a season. Bernier's presence would have eliminated the need for our two biggest headaches over the last year and change: Kuemper and Backstrom. Pretty annoying to think about.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I would have said that's a perfectly fair deal at the time. I'd say the same now. Bernier played 55 games last year with a .922 save percentage. I doubt Kuemper ever plays 55 games in a season. Bernier's presence would have eliminated the need for our two biggest headaches over the last year and change: Kuemper and Backstrom. Pretty annoying to think about.

True but then your giving up two goalie prospects in the same year and then you have zero goalies in the minors ready to play in the nhl.

tomthestone*

True but then your giving up two goalie prospects in the same year and then you have zero goalies in the minors ready to play in the nhl.

Right. I don't think that matters if you know you have 50+ games of .920+ production coming from a guy with pretty low mileage at his age. Bernier broke down a bit at the end of the year if I recall, so it'll be interesting to see if they are more careful with him this season. I bet the Leafs planned to give him 50 games last year and let Reimer take care of the rest, but had to give Bernier more minutes than planned while trying to sneak into the playoffs.

Say the Wild make that move for a goalie last year and cripple the position from a prospect standpoint. You'd have to be pretty certain you're getting a legit number one for at least three or four years, and that's plenty of time to get things figured out at the minor league level.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
Someone tell Kuemper you cant cry on the bench if you have a bad game in Russia..

Guy has had two concussions and has shown up (very good ups) and downs.

The youth on this team is highly touted but still needs to show some consistency, just because they are hyped doesnt mean its time to start bending the plan to fit everything.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Boom

Helperl said he is asking the Wild for a one-year, one-way contract (not big term at big money, as previously reported)

Really don't think we have to trash Kuemper. It's negotiations. People get a little too emotional about these things. Look at the number of folks who got banned because they couldn't keep their cool during the lockout.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
This is the agent who is saying it isn't "big" money. His definition of that and what a player like Kuemper in his situation is likely vastly different.

Meanwhile everything that's been put out there has said they want over $3m per. That's not big money in the grand scheme of contracts, but it certainly is for Kuemper.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
A one year contract does nothing for all parties. They just get to do this all over in a year with Kuemper playing even less NHL games, with the Wild having even more uncertainty in net going forward, while agent and player demand the moon.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Meh. Hand him a $1.5 - 2mill contract, 2 years. He's earned it. If his agent really wants more, stuck some bonuses in there, something like he has to match his last season's GAA/SV% to earn them. It gives him some extra motivation to play well, and would benefit both him and the team.

As for Nino, damn. I don't like the sound of that, at all. It'll work itself out I suppose, but it's discouraging to hear news like that this late into the offseason.

tomthestone*

Boom

Really don't think we have to trash Kuemper. It's negotiations. People get a little too emotional about these things. Look at the number of folks who got banned because they couldn't keep their cool during the lockout.

I agree with that. I have no ill will toward Kuemper. There's nothing wrong with these guys trying to get paid once they prove they're worth some extra coin.

My stance is just that Kuemper and his guy are at a total disadvantage and look like fools because everyone knows the KHL talk is an empty threat at best. Kuemper is a bit player at this point in his career and the Wild have all the leverage. It's pretty easy infer what's going on here. Kuemper has had a taste of the show and doesn't want to go back to crappy bus rides through crappy cities on the AHL circuit -- with a crappy paycheck to match that experience. Who would after living the NHL life for half a season? So he probably figures the suits can pay him $1M if they're gonna stick him in the minors where he's already paid his dues.

I think Russo has the angle a bit crooked. I doubt Kuemper's agent cares where his client plays (NHL vs. AHL) and wants to prevent the Wild from sending Kuemper to the minors. Any agent worth his salt would know the team is never carrying three goalies when one is waiver exempt. AHL salaries are like $70K, versus clearing $900K on an NHL deal. It's literally a lifestyle-changing difference for Kuemper whether he's on a one-way or two-way contract. Problem for him is, the organization has 100 percent of the bargaining power and owns his career even if he does defect. Like I said before, Kuemper will be the one bending over in this spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad