Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I pray the Wild do nothing this year at the deadline, unless they are sellers.

They aren't going anywhere in the playoffs (if they even make it) this year.

Next year will be better, and if we can get a quality UFA D-man, and some center help in the summer/draft.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I pray the Wild do nothing this year at the deadline, unless they are sellers.

They aren't going anywhere in the playoffs (if they even make it) this year.

Next year will be better, and if we can get a quality UFA D-man, and some center help in the summer/draft.

Who do they sell? Spurgeon, Scandella, and MAYBE Brodziak are the only 3 pieces that they will be will to move.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No way we trade Scandella or Spurgeon. Scandella is close to a Burns-breakout once he stops being so lanky. And no Spurgeon means more Ballard, which I do not like.

We need another top-4 Dman, which has been discussed at length, but I would love to rock Stoner-Spurgeon as the bottom pairing for a few years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Only way we trade Spurge/ Scandella is for another, better, D man. And if we trade Brodz, we need size back, either in that deal or another.

Anyone else notice that the Suter/Stoner pairing looked strangely good out there the other night? Suter covered up for Stoner's inevitable goofs, and Stoner took over some of the heavy lifting along the boards, giving Suter more time and energy for his exquisite breakout passes.

While I don't think the Wild need to make a trade as I think their future is pretty bright, I wouldn't consider anyone but Suter, Brodin, and maybe Parise as untouchable. Might throw Kuemper in there too, crazy as it sounds.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Take a look at Steve Ott's possession numbers. They are brutal. He can't play hockey. We already have overpaid fourth liners in Brodziak and Mitchell. We don't need another one, let alone giving up players and assets.

I wonder what we would have to add to move Heatley for Miller. A first? A first plus? Miller would give high end goaltending for several years and stability to the position. Allow for a buyout of Backstrom, give Kuemper another year in the minors, and then Kuemper can take over as backup when Harding's contract is up. Plus that would open up a spot for Zucker.

Edit: Just saw that link. I would give up Heatley + 1st but I don't think I could do Granlund or Coyle in that deal. Too much for an expiring contract. Unless we're getting something else big in return.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My guess is Miller is going to look for at least $35m/5 years in FA. Not sure I'd want to expend assets and pay that much, especially with the way Harding has played (when healthy), and the way Kuemper has filled in.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
My guess is Miller is going to look for at least $35m/5 years in FA. Not sure I'd want to expend assets and pay that much, especially with the way Harding has played (when healthy), and the way Kuemper has filled in.

Miller is looking for $8 million. And he will probably get it. After Lundqvist signed for $8.5 Miller was quoted as saying it sets the market for goaltenders.

Miller surely sees himself in Lundqvist's class(and he is probably right). He'll be shooting for $8 Million minimum.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't agree with Zucker, but plenty of people here wouldn't mind to see him moved as well. What do you have against Fontaine?

I don't think anyone has anything against Fontaine. But exploring the trade market on him(either now or in the offseason) is a good use of an asset coming off of a strong season in which he had some serious puck luck. I can't imagine Fontaine is in the long term goals of the franchise, and is a UFA in a year.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'd be very, very upset if this team moves a first round pick plus Granlund or Coyle for the right to give Miller a large contract.

If they're really that interested in Miller, attempt to go that route this summer if he's available. Don't move two prime assets for him, no matter how well he'd fit in. Kuemper has been playing well enough and even with all the goaltending issues this team has faced this season, what they're getting in goal has been FAR from the chief issues with this team.

Heatley being in or out of any potential deal isn't worth discussing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!

Insanity! I thought NHL GM's had figured out that paying big money for goalies(Lundquist excepted) was passé ? Kuemper is fine. Backs is fine as a backup. Harding may well be back. Our problem is not at goalie!
Get that big, overpaid D man from Buffalo for a song and try to rebuild him. Make him faster, better, stronger...

Trading Coyle or Granlund is madness. They are the future.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I can't see Miller getting Lundqvist money. Lund is a better goalie and younger. Miller might get $7m but not $8-8.5m. I would do a five year deal at $35m total for him, no more. Because I think he can play at a high level for 4-5 years. And you buy out Backstrom, save $2m per year right there. Harding is up after next year, that's another $2m. Kuemper can be a backup for $1-2m per year. With the cap going up, that's fine.

But I'd certainly not move Coyle or Granlund for Miller. Wait until free agency if that's the case.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think anyone has anything against Fontaine. But exploring the trade market on him(either now or in the offseason) is a good use of an asset coming off of a strong season in which he had some serious puck luck. I can't imagine Fontaine is in the long term goals of the franchise, and is a UFA in a year.

Meh, I'd rather just keep the guy. He won't be expensive and you know what you're getting from him. We need to stop going the FA route for our bottom six and start developing guys from within. Fontaine can be an example of that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can't see Miller getting Lundqvist money. Lund is a better goalie and younger. Miller might get $7m but not $8-8.5m. I would do a five year deal at $35m total for him, no more. Because I think he can play at a high level for 4-5 years. And you buy out Backstrom, save $2m per year right there. Harding is up after next year, that's another $2m. Kuemper can be a backup for $1-2m per year. With the cap going up, that's fine.

But I'd certainly not move Coyle or Granlund for Miller. Wait until free agency if that's the case.

Man, $10m is awful lot to spend on the goalie position.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I really don't see that they would move ether Granlund or Coyle, I really dont..

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Meh, I'd rather just keep the guy. He won't be expensive and you know what you're getting from him. We need to stop going the FA route for our bottom six and start developing guys from within. Fontaine can be an example of that.

That's kind of what I am getting at though. Our bottom 6 will need to come from within, via guys on RFA contracts. Due to Fontaine's age, and and league minimum contract he is going to need get every penny he can get his first UFA year.

Due to the money locked up in the top 6(and will be locked up in the future in the top 6) the Wild will develop players for the bottom 6, and trade them as they reach UFA. Fontaine is reaching UFA. If he continues his 20% through the year, and ends up with almost 20 goals they should look to trade him. I'm reasonably convinced Haula could fill his role next year. Or Zucker, Bulmer, Bruisers, Graovac, etc.

We bought Low on Fontaine, it may be time to sell high is the general point.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Man, $10m is awful lot to spend on the goalie position.

Well, the salary cap is going up so we have to raise salaries proportionally.

We were spending $6m on Backstrom and $1-2m on Harding for a while while the cap was in the $55-60m range. That's in the 12-15%.

If we give Miller $7m and Harding at $2m, that's $9m on next year's $71m cap, or a little over 12%. And that percentage will keep dropping as the cap goes up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, the salary cap is going up so we have to raise salaries proportionally.

We were spending $6m on Backstrom and $1-2m on Harding for a while while the cap was in the $55-60m range. That's in the 12-15%.

If we give Miller $7m and Harding at $2m, that's $9m on next year's $71m cap, or a little over 12%. And that percentage will keep dropping as the cap goes up.

$10m counting Backstrom's buyout, but I see your point.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's kind of what I am getting at though. Our bottom 6 will need to come from within, via guys on RFA contracts. Due to Fontaine's age, and and league minimum contract he is going to need get every penny he can get his first UFA year.

Due to the money locked up in the top 6(and will be locked up in the future in the top 6) the Wild will develop players for the bottom 6, and trade them as they reach UFA. Fontaine is reaching UFA. If he continues his 20% through the year, and ends up with almost 20 goals they should look to trade him. I'm reasonably convinced Haula could fill his role next year. Or Zucker, Bulmer, Bruisers, Graovac, etc.

We bought Low on Fontaine, it may be time to sell high is the general point.

Graovac and Bussieries have shown nothing as to the ability to fill an NHLers role.

Capgeek has Fontaine as an RFA, so the UFA talk might be a bit premature (they could be wrong though). I think we could easily lock him up at $900k for 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad