Trade Freeze

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There is a part of me that thinks once Burke's trade freeze stops, that there will be a deal in place.

I have a gut feeling it will probably be Lee on his way out; but it might also be just a lesser little trade. There are far too many teams looking for a top 6 forward, and Stempniak is most definitely a guy that can put up some numbers if on the right line (definitely a solid second line winger, with the right setup). He's not a Burke type player; but can definitely contribute offensively and on the PK, etc.

I just don't think that Burke's got a small enough ego to let nothing happen under his short tenure as GM until he finds a suitable replacement.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
There is a part of me that thinks once Burke's trade freeze stops, that there will be a deal in place.

I have a gut feeling it will probably be Lee on his way out; but it might also be just a lesser little trade. There are far too many teams looking for a top 6 forward, and Stempniak is most definitely a guy that can put up some numbers if on the right line (definitely a solid second line winger, with the right setup). He's not a Burke type player; but can definitely contribute offensively and on the PK, etc.

I just don't think that Burke's got a small enough ego to let nothing happen under his short tenure as GM until he finds a suitable replacement.

'I made this trade in my month as GM, Flames started winning 2 years later, I built this team!'

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I totally agree. I also think for cap reasons, if Cammy is dealt it will be at the deadline to maximize his value.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Burke doesn't believe in deadline deals, if Cammy moves I think it will be much earlier than that.

No, I think he doesn't buy at the deadline because the prices get driven up too much. He also doesn't care for free agency frenzy.

Who likes to overpay?

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
No, I think he doesn't buy at the deadline because the prices get driven up too much. He also doesn't care for free agency frenzy.

Who likes to overpay?

I'm sure he said during his Phaneuf trade interviews the deal happened when it did because he doesn't believe in the trade deadline deals, and that's for his players benefits, so they can focus on playing instead of wondering whether or not they will still be with the team after the deadline.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm sure he said during his Phaneuf trade interviews the deal happened when it did because he doesn't believe in the trade deadline deals, and that's for his players benefits, so they can focus on playing instead of wondering whether or not they will still be with the team after the deadline.

Right, as a BUYER which is what MarkGio said, and what happened in the Phanuef deal.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Right, as a BUYER which is what MarkGio said, and what happened in the Phanuef deal.

It was just much earlier than the trade deadline. If my memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, Burke said he doesn't believe in deadline deals, period. Nothing to do with buying or selling, he just doesn't believe in the mass stress it puts on players wondering if their jobs are safe for the weeks leading up to the deadline. He also said that he doesn't believe in it, because deals done at the deadline don't allow enough time to build chemistry before the end of the season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

God; I wish he could pull of a Phaneuf type trade for Calgary.
Budding top pair D-man or equivalently a top 6 forward for a bunch of spare parts.

Makes me wish the Islanders or Flyers were run by poor GMs that could be taken advantage of... oh wait.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
God; I wish he could pull of a Phaneuf type trade for Calgary.
Budding top pair D-man or equivalently a top 6 forward for a bunch of spare parts.

Makes me wish the Islanders or Flyers were run by poor GMs that could be taken advantage of... oh wait.

Hah! Yeah, and if we have one thing, it's aging, moderately valuable but not game-changing forwards. Stajan, Stempniak, D. Jones and Wideman for who?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It was just much earlier than the trade deadline. If my memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, Burke said he doesn't believe in deadline deals, period. Nothing to do with buying or selling, he just doesn't believe in the mass stress it puts on players wondering if their jobs are safe for the weeks leading up to the deadline. He also said that he doesn't believe in it, because deals done at the deadline don't allow enough time to build chemistry before the end of the season.

Burke has made many deadline deals. Remember Kaberle? He's also been on record lots of times stating his team needs going into the deadline. He may not be a huge buyer, but he is definitely always active and working the phones then, this year will be no different.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Burke has made many deadline deals. Remember Kaberle? He's also been on record lots of times stating his team needs going into the deadline. He may not be a huge buyer, but he is definitely always active and working the phones then, this year will be no different.

I think what Burke's done with setting a standard for early trades is beneficial for the organization. This way, more teams should inquire about our players earlier in the season. We should get more bidding going, and on top of that we will not be backed into a corner by the deadline.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think what Burke's done with setting a standard for early trades is beneficial for the organization. This way, more teams should inquire about our players earlier in the season. We should get more bidding going, and on top of that we will not be backed into a corner by the deadline.

Sutter did that too, it is smart because you get your assets that your targeting before everyone else has an opportunity to. It also lets the team build chemistry and have peace of mind heading towards the playoffs. And as you pointed out, it can definitely drive up the value and create bidding wars for players. My point was though, is that people should not be kidding themselves, if Burke has a chance to improve our team going forward it will not matter what point the season is at except for the Xmas trade freeze of course. Burke has done many deadline deals in the past, and I fully expect there to be at least a couple this year. You illustrated a really good point though, Burkes philosophy definitely creates more of demand for his guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Burke doesn't believe in deadline deals, if Cammy moves I think it will be much earlier than that.
He doesn't believe in buying at the deadline. He never said buying in the quote you are thinking of but it was implied. The quote went something along the lines of this:
I don't like deadline deals because it only gives a short time to become familiar with the team and the system, I like to make trades earlier so the players are better adjusted for the playoffs.
Familiarity come playoff time only matters when you are a buyer, because a seller is not a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad