Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a leader who's very good with the younger guys, helps them become better players. Has lot's of skill, speed, grit.

I wouldn't worry about the years, he only has some 500 games in this league, still full of energy and goes 110% every shift.

If you don't know much about him you should take a look at one of the Zucc-videos, like this one. To get an idea about what he brings.

If we don't have leadership, with Koivu, Suter, Parise, Staal, Spurgeon, and Dumba, then we are f***ed. Zuccarello sure as hell isn't going to fix that.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The LW/RW thing is not overblown, but I feel like the left shot/right shot thing is. The bigger problem on the PP is that all of our players just suck on it. I really don't think the handedness thing would drastically change that.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The LW/RW thing is not overblown, but I feel like the left shot/right shot thing is. The bigger problem on the PP is that all of our players just suck on it. I really don't think the handedness thing would drastically change that.
Yet our own coach mentioned that as a problem, and one of the reasons for trading Nino. Suter also cited it as the reason he would rather play with Spurgeon than Brodin.

Our PP % was 14th last year. Not great, but better than average, and that was without Dumba and Granlund for large parts of the year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yet our own coach mentioned that as a problem, and one of the reasons for trading Nino. Suter also cited it as the reason he would rather play with Spurgeon than Brodin.

Our PP % was 14th last year. Not great, but better than average, and that was without Dumba and Granlund for large parts of the year.
Was it? Or was that because we had too many LWs and he was playing on the 3rd/4th line? He might have said that, I just don't remember. Doesn't really make sense to say that in a trade for a lefty.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone got a good scouting report on Hartman? I admittedly know very little about his game. Just a gritty third liner type at this point? A bit weird he keeps bouncing around.

2x2 a decent contract for him if it ends up around there?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
We got dumba to blast pucks for majority of the time on our PP so I really don't see a huge issue with lefty righty in that situation. Anyone else is likely only seeing marginal minutes as time fades off anyway but I guess if hes hurt that could cause concern.

Kunin is a project to work with, spurgeon isn't going to blasts pucks but hes got a good shot and is smart on the PP.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone got a good scouting report on Hartman? I admittedly know very little about his game. Just a gritty third liner type at this point? A bit weird he keeps bouncing around.

Awesome 4th line pest energy guy who you hate to play against, decent 3rd line tweeter if needed for injuries?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was it? Or was that because we had too many LWs and he was playing on the 3rd/4th line? He might have said that, I just don't remember. Doesn't really make sense to say that in a trade for a lefty.
Absolutely, it was said multiple times that they thought Nino was at a disadvantage on the RW. Funny, because I always thought that he was better on the off wing, with that little inside move and shot, using the D as a screen. Unlike Zucker, he doesn't have the speed to blow by dmen on the outside.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Zuccarello makes us lose a good young player in FA i swear to god I’m going to become a college sports fan.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

A pest...borderline dirty. He and Foligno would be a handful on the 4th, and take care of Sturm, Rask(yech).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Absolutely, it was said multiple times that they thought Nino was at a disadvantage on the RW. Funny, because I always thought that he was better on the off wing, with that little inside move and shot, using the D as a screen. Unlike Zucker, he doesn't have the speed to blow by dmen on the outside.
But that gets back to the real issue of too many LWs.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
What do we do with our lines if we sign these two and don't trade Zucker? Greenway to Iowa? Rask to??

Zucker - Staal - Zuccarello
Parise - Koivu - Kunin
Donato - EK - Fiala
Foligno - Sturm - Hartman

Greenway, Rask

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks, kinda what I figured. Sounds like an upgrade over last year.
Yes. Brown was very disappointing, though I liked Fehr till he got injured. If Hartmann only is on a 2/4M contract, then i'm down with it. Nice to have a hard working pro show the kids how it's done. I loved Madden when he was here, and liked Cooke. Hopefully Hartmann can be something like that. Nice to have him around when they run into CAL next year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What do we do with our lines if we sign these two and don't trade Zucker? Greenway to Iowa? Rask to??

Parise - Koivu - Kunin
Donato - EK - Fiala

Greenway, Rask
Nice to have some competition. Would also like to see some of the Iowa kids like Shaw, Sokolov, and Bitten show some signs of life. Sturm looked good in his very brief time last year, but i would imagine that he would be the guy that has to earn his NHL spot over Rask. Hopefully the latter shows up ready to play this year. Surely it's not too much to ask him to be a good 4th line player?

Reactions: Spurgeon

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Parise - Koivu - Kunin
Donato - EK - Fiala

Greenway, Rask
Good question. It does seem like Greenway would be in Iowa at this point unless Zucker is moved. But if Zucker is moved it's still likely for at least a roster player anyway. We know Fenton is a believer in letting kids play in the minors.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Nice to have some competition. Would also like to see some of the Iowa kids like Shaw, Sokolov, and Bitten show some signs of life. Sturm looked good in his very brief time last year, but i would imagine that he would be the guy that has to earn his NHL spot over Rask. Hopefully the latter shows up ready to play this year. Surely it's not too much to ask him to be a good 4th line player?

The one thing I will note that I like about that roster is that there is quite a bit of depth. I still think we're in for a rude awakening in the coming years when it comes to our center situation, but it's definitely nice when you've got a roster where you're seemingly going to have to leave NHL talent either in the AHL or the pressbox. That said, it sure would be nice to not even have to worry about where we need to play Rask. I really hate that trade even more now. We almost need to try to play him in a scoring Top 6 role and see if he can somehow prove himself to be a potential 2nd line center. In that situation, I'd probably move Koivu to the 3rd and EK to the 4th. However, they wouldn't be traditional 3rd/4th line roles in their TOI. Would likely be a much closer split between 2,3, and 4.

Good question. It does seem like Greenway would be in Iowa at this point unless Zucker is moved. But if Zucker is moved it's still likely for at least a roster player anyway. We know Fenton is a believer in letting kids play in the minors.

It's crazy that we'll have Kaprizov (and potentially Boldy) in a year too. We're incredibly stacked on wingers now.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
If we don't have leadership, with Koivu, Suter, Parise, Staal, Spurgeon, and Dumba, then we are ****ed. Zuccarello sure as hell isn't going to fix that.

The issues in the room span two coaches, two GMs and many of the players who were on the team when rumors of a dressing-room divide first surfaced five or six years ago now. I think it’s entirely possible that, for whatever reason, the guys who are meant to be leaders on this team have contributed to that toxic environment.

I genuinely am not implying the trope about Suter wielding power with ownership, or anything like that. I just think by process of elimination, as these issues continue to exist, it becomes likelier and likelier that some of those names you mentioned are the culprits.

Maybe this team just keeps losing, exacerbating those issues, and they’re no more dysfunctional than any other team. But for the same sorts of stories to emerge year after year, it seems like something is rotten in that locker room. I’ll welcome someone who by all accounts is a great person, a mentor, a leader, and a contributor.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The issues in the room span two coaches, two GMs and many of the players who were on the team when rumors of a dressing-room divide first surfaced five or six years ago now. I think it’s entirely possible that, for whatever reason, the guys who are meant to be leaders on this team have contributed to that toxic environment.

I genuinely am not implying the trope about Suter wielding power with ownership, or anything like that. I just think by process of elimination, as these issues continue to exist, it becomes likelier and likelier that some of those names you mentioned are the culprits.

Maybe this team just keeps losing, exacerbating those issues, and they’re no more dysfunctional than any other team. But for the same sorts of stories to emerge year after year, it seems like something is rotten in that locker room. I’ll welcome someone who by all accounts is a great person, a mentor, a leader, and a contributor.
Zuccarello is not going to come in and influence guys that have spent years here, and have a much higher profile. It's just not going to happen. In trading Granlund, Coyle, Nino, and all but emasculating Zucker, Fenton has pretty clearly handed to leadership reins solely to Suter, Parise, and possibly Koivu.

Wild4Cup

Jun 13, 2019
I actually don’t mind signing Zucc to that contract. I was a bit afraid what the money and term would be when the first reports of Zuccarello signing came, but 5y ~$6mil isn’t that bad on July 1. Much rather have him than Simmonds. Even though left-handed, I believe he plays RW? So Zucc, Fiala, Kunin on the right side isn’t that bad. Now we just have to wait and see what happens with Zucker. The rumours have cooled down a bit, but that might be only a good thing.

Wow Duchene with $8mil is a splendid contract for the Preds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad