Proposal: Trade/FA Thread Offseason Edition Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
And that is fine. I mean seriously overpaying for average players would be the dumbest thing.

Many people here would have considered Toffoli an "average player" last summer. See how it turned out.
Habs fans are incredibly arrogant if they think only a Jack Eichel or a Dougie Hamilton can help this team.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Jul 6, 2016
The more time goes by, the least likely it is that Bergevin will find a way to fill all of the glaring holes in our lineup.

There's no way he find a C, 2 RHDs and a top-9 winger on day one of the UFA market.

C..... Danault
RHD's....... Savard and Montour

Winger....... Saad or Hoffman + Armia.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Contractual obligations make this type of reasoning obselete IMO.

It's rarely about who deserves what or proving anything.

It's not like Danault proved he was a #1C before he was in they position.

I'd also argue that Kotkaniemi, as a former 3rd overall pick whose plied his trade in the bottom 6 the last 3 years...deserves just as much of a chance as anyone.

Not about who deserves? So Suzuki leapfrogging KK was not due to him deserving it??

Danault was our no1 C because we had no other option... and the team suck as a result. I dont want to be stuck in the same situation... put in place contingencies, don't expect player to magically get to the next level.

KK has been given a chance to prove himself, and will be provided more chance moving forward.... but until he plays as a 2nd C.... he's not one! So get one, work on KK and if you have 2 2nd C at some point next season then you have fantastic depth and roll 3 offensive lines. what is not to like with that?

Reactions: Archijerej

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Many people here would have considered Toffoli an "average player" last summer. See how it turned out.
Habs fans are incredibly arrogant if they think only a Jack Eichel or a Dougie Hamilton can help this team.
Are you serious?

Nobody would say that he was average. It was a coup on a team in dire need of a goalscorer. Like Hoffman if we get him is not an average player. He is a legit goalscorer.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Here is a question to those who don't want us to sign Deangelo...

Do you not want to sign him because he don't deserve to play NHL again or do you not want to sign him because he is a jerk and will never change even if he has a chance playing on another team?

Because he either tried to or did punch a teammate, or the teammate punched him after he made some comments to him. It's not exactly clear, but the NYR didn't begin with the suspension it was the final straw.

You can't have guys going after other guys like that either verbally or physically. It's one thing when it's practice and one guy runs another guy too hard and there's pushing and shoving, etc. That's fired up competitiveness and they usually apologize to each other afterward.

But, DeAngelo sounds like he can be a complete asshole to his own teammates. He blames them for shit and doesn't take responsibility for his own play.

Clearly, there were multiple incidents involving him, which is why NYR took this route.

It just seems like a good way to f*** up your dressing room.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I never claimed that Jack Eichle or Dougie Hamilton are the only options.

Just last year once the dust settled we got Perry and Frolik at near league minimum...

That is way better than paying 2M+ on average 3rd/4th line player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could care less about other teams. I just don't want him near my team.

It's not about deserving to play or not. It's about being a poison in the dressing room and he's atrocious defensively. Also I don't think he and his extremist political views could co-exist with Montreal fans and media.

I've played sports with a lot of jerks in my life and I've seen guys change with a different set of teammates. They are still vocal but they fall in line more than their previous situation. We ran lots of hockey tournaments back in my 20's and recruited guys like that over and over again. I'd say we were able convert them into better humans and they made our team better (more often than not). Creating the right culture is key. Who on the Rangers could be someone he respects and get him to calm down? I don't see it. I think the culture allowed this aggressive individual to get out of hand.

I don't see the risks of signing him to an AAV close to $1M. Our team core is tight and it won't derail it to a point where our management keeps him in. If he tries the same stuff, he's gone and it's done with and in the past.

I'd take a low risk chance on him for sure... with a short leash

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Said they were in talks and no way Bergevin was going to pay the same idiotic price as the Flyers.

flyers overpaid for 1 year UFA to be. Hagg is a solid player and the 14th overall pick and second round pick. In comparison Hagg is like top 6 defenceman

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
C..... Danault
RHD's....... Savard and Montour

Winger....... Saad or Hoffman + Armia.

That looks pretty good. I'd take Granlund over Saad and Hoffman. The salaries these players are going to be asking for are back in the pre-covid range and I'd be reluctant to give term to any of these wingers.

For now, I like the following wing pairs:
Anderson - Caufield
Drouin - Gallagher
Toffoli - Armia
Byron - Lehkonen/Perry

If Anderson doesn't work with Caufield, I don't know where to put him. I think he 's a 4th liner.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've played sports with a lot of jerks in my life and I've seen guys change with a different set of teammates. They are still vocal but they fall in line more than their previous situation.

I don't see the risks of signing him to an AAV close to $1M. Our team core is tight and it won't derail it to a point where our management keeps him in. If he tries the same stuff, he's gone and it's done with and in the past.

I'd take a low risk chance on him for sure... with a short leash

I've also been involved with sports my entire life and still am. I've seen how one jerk can poison an otherwise good group of people many times. I've also seen teams have more success after losing a talented jerk who on paper should make the team better.

Habs have a tight group but we're losing one of the straws that stirs the drink in Weber. Price doesn't say a lot. We're losing all the deadline veterans we picked up, likely losing Danault, possibly losing Perry. We could have Drouin coming back who doesn't really fall in line with the players I mentioned.

Keep Deangelo far far away!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because he either tried to or did punch a teammate, or the teammate punched him after he made some comments to him. It's not exactly clear, but the NYR didn't begin with the suspension it was the final straw.

You can't have guys going after other guys like that either verbally or physically. It's one thing when it's practice and one guy runs another guy too hard and there's pushing and shoving, etc. That's fired up competitiveness and they usually apologize to each other afterward.

But, DeAngelo sounds like he can be a complete asshole to his own teammates. He blames them for shit and doesn't take responsibility for his own play.

Clearly, there were multiple incidents involving him, which is why NYR took this route.

It just seems like a good way to f*** up your dressing room.

In situations like this, I have seen people like him get alienated by several other players and if the coach or upper management don't act quickly, it spins into disgruntled situations because the issues not resolved on the spot. It happens more often than you think.

Not making excuses for him. He needs to change but I feel he could change if he had a different team and that team has vets and character guys he can follow. Great leadership can do wonders. If he tries the same stuff, cut him and move his contract to the AHL. Just don't sign him for too long and keep it close to $1M. Sorry, I don't see the risks in terms of him ruining our dressing room.

And I bet you the actual players within the NHLPA know more about the actual context and all Bergevin has to do is talk to Price, Gallagher, Petry, and some others on the idea of signing him. Let your core group decide

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Erik Johnson remains very interesting to me...
As long as he's fully recovered from the concussion issue, the additional time off that gave him to rest up his body and heal/strengthen the previous issues is a net benefit.

Suspect he comes into next season highly motivated to get a few more seasons of good hockey in. With Weber out, he's a great fit as a short term replacement at top 4 RD... strong leader, big frame, better skating & puck skills.

Plus, asking price likely to be quite low if we don't require retention or equal cap going back.

EJ for Byron?
EJ & 2nd for Kulak & b prospect?

If Avs re-sign landeskog or splurge for his replacement via Ufa, something like that should work.

Jul 6, 2016
That looks pretty good. I'd take Granlund over Saad and Hoffman. The salaries these players are going to be asking for are back in the pre-covid range and I'd be reluctant to give term to any of these wingers.

For now, I like the following wing pairs:
Anderson - Caufield
Drouin - Gallagher
Toffoli - Armia
Byron - Lehkonen/Perry

If Anderson doesn't work with Caufield, I don't know where to put him. I think he 's a 4th liner.

Anderson as 4th liner at 5.5 M$ per season would be a huge waste. He looked very good with Suzuki and Caufield. Keep it that way.

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad