Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
cbcwpg said:
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA

Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1.

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

@cbcwpg
Very interesting. So if the 1 year arbitration reward is <$4,538,958 the jets would have to take it no matter what. In that case, if the arbitration reward is >4 but <4.538 they could be screwed and forced to buy someone out in order to structure the cap.

Maybe it isn't a good thing that Pionk's arbitration is up first. Might have been a better situation to determine Copp's contract (via arbitration if necessary) and then decide on a term with Pionk that would fit our cap structure.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we still need to make another trade. Our cap is a bit of a mess right now and we have a situation where good prospects are blocked (defense) and where we do not have enough good prospects ready to step in and fill the vacancies (bottom 6).

Copp and Pionk may simply take too much to sign. That remains unknown but looking at recent D signings Pionk may get more than previously assumed. If Copp goes through with arbitration he just might get a little more too. Who knows for sure with arb?

I've made up rosters that meet all of the rules and have Copp at 4 mil and Pionk at 6.5. I don't see any way if Copp gets 4.5, or even 4.25 and Pionk gets 7.

If we assume we have to trade Copp for cap/contract reasons, what are we looking for in return? The obvious thing would be a couple of picks, like two 2nds, or a 2nd + a 3rd. That might be fine in terms of getting something in exchange for a player we are destined to lose anyway, but it does nothing to help 'win now'. Nothing to address the holes in the bottom 6.

Could we get 2 decent bottom 6 players for him? Could we get 1 good one? How about Copp to NYI for Wahlstrom?

You might ask why NYI would do that? They are also in win now mode and Copp helps them more than Wahlstrom does in the short term. They have the cap space to accommodate Copp quite easily right now. In that case why do we do it? We don't have the cap space and Wahlstrom helps us win now a lot more than a couple of picks do.

Is there someone else we should trade instead or, or in addition to Copp? Can we do better making up a package?

Lots of questions. Not many answers. Does Chevy have a plan that goes deeper than simply trying to get everybody in the tent and under the cap?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Not many value UFAs still out there... Ryan Donato would be a decent add if the Copp situation collapses

Galchenyak seems to still be a wild card - probably $1 million signing...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The money that went to Schmidt would have easily covered deals for Pionk and Copp with reasonable raises. With Schmidt I think Copp becomes a cap casualty. 6 mil more means Copp could get 5 mil Pionk could get 6.5 and we could have put Heinola in our top 4. Not saying getting Schmidt is a bad move just saying what it might cost us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like Schmidt cost a 3rd + Copp.
That assumes that if the Jets trade Copp they don't get anything back, which seems highly unlikely, don't you think?

If the Jets don't like any trade offers, they can simply go for a 1 year deal (or 2 years) for Copp.

Reactions: Nedarb and None

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The money that went to Schmidt would have easily covered deals for Pionk and Copp with reasonable raises. With Schmidt I think Copp becomes a cap casualty. 6 mil more means Copp could get 5 mil Pionk could get 6.5 and we could have put Heinola in our top 4. Not saying getting Schmidt is a bad move just saying what it might cost us.
I think the Schmidt deal came together really fast and changed chevys offseason - it’s more the $1 million overpay to stats that is biting us right now - but stats convinced Schmidt to waive

I would still be trying to trade morrissey and let heinola take his place - that solves all the $$ issues... no bigger a gamble than Schmidt really

Reactions: boydkc

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That assumes that if the Jets trade Copp they don't get anything back, which seems highly unlikely, don't you think?

If the Jets don't like any trade offers, they can simply go for a 1 year deal (or 2 years) for Copp.
It’s Schmidt and Copp for a third + plus then. Can they afford to keep Pionk and Copp for 1 year and not be in a mess cap wise?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think the Schmidt deal came together really fast and changed chevys offseason - it’s more the $1 million overpay to stats that is biting us right now - but stats convinced Schmidt to waive

I would still be trying to trade morrissey and let heinola take his place - that solves all the $$ issues... no bigger a gamble than Schmidt really
Especially if you can get more than a 3rd for Morrissey.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It’s Schmidt and Copp for a third + plus then. Can they afford to keep Pionk and Copp for 1 year and not be in a mess cap wise?
After the Stanley signing, Jets have just under $12 million left if you combine Little's LTIR... it should be possible especially if you can bridge Pionk.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just focus on signing Pionk long term, then if there is no money left for Copp, so be it and he can be traded. I'll be pretty disappointed if they take Pionk to arbitration and end up with a 1 year deal instead of locking him in.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dvoraks name still out there... Jets can afford his contract too - maybe Copp and first rounder if coyotes retain some salary

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I think we still need to make another trade. Our cap is a bit of a mess right now and we have a situation where good prospects are blocked (defense) and where we do not have enough good prospects ready to step in and fill the vacancies (bottom 6).

Copp and Pionk may simply take too much to sign. That remains unknown but looking at recent D signings Pionk may get more than previously assumed. If Copp goes through with arbitration he just might get a little more too. Who knows for sure with arb?

I've made up rosters that meet all of the rules and have Copp at 4 mil and Pionk at 6.5. I don't see any way if Copp gets 4.5, or even 4.25 and Pionk gets 7.

If we assume we have to trade Copp for cap/contract reasons, what are we looking for in return? The obvious thing would be a couple of picks, like two 2nds, or a 2nd + a 3rd. That might be fine in terms of getting something in exchange for a player we are destined to lose anyway, but it does nothing to help 'win now'. Nothing to address the holes in the bottom 6.

Could we get 2 decent bottom 6 players for him? Could we get 1 good one? How about Copp to NYI for Wahlstrom?

You might ask why NYI would do that? They are also in win now mode and Copp helps them more than Wahlstrom does in the short term. They have the cap space to accommodate Copp quite easily right now. In that case why do we do it? We don't have the cap space and Wahlstrom helps us win now a lot more than a couple of picks do.

Is there someone else we should trade instead or, or in addition to Copp? Can we do better making up a package?

Lots of questions. Not many answers. Does Chevy have a plan that goes deeper than simply trying to get everybody in the tent and under the cap?
How about trade Pionk.
We have added Dillon and Schmidt who both will make less than Pionk in my opinion.
I know it may seem foolish to trade a D, but Chevy may be smart to sign Copp, keep our forwards deep and strong, and add a cheaper D.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How about trade Pionk.
We have added Dillon and Schmidt who both will make less than Pionk in my opinion.
I know it may seem foolish to trade a D, but Chevy may be smart to sign Copp, keep our forwards deep and strong, and add a cheaper D.
So if we can get Pionk for less than Morissey than let’s trade morrissey.

Reactions: bennylundholm

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
So if we can get Pionk for less than Morissey than let’s trade morrissey.
I have to think Pionk is coming in somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5.
You could trade Pionk for a cheaper D, cheaper F or a draft pick.
Or, what I would do, sign him and look to move one of our 8 D closer to the trade deadline for a top 6 forward with term.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have to think Pionk is coming in somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5.
You could trade Pionk for a cheaper D, cheaper F or a draft pick.
Or, what I would do, sign him and look to move one of our 8 D closer to the trade deadline for a top 6 forward with term.
That would make sense if we had better players than Copp we were trying to keep.
I’d only worry about adding a top 6 player if mo would bump wheeler down.
Also if Pionk is signing for 6.5 I think he’s more valuable than Mo especially when we have Heinola.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
That would make sense if we had better players than Copp we were trying to keep.
I’d only worry about adding a top 6 player if mo would bump wheeler down.
Also if Pionk is signing for 6.5 I think he’s more valuable than Mo especially when we have Heinola.
I'd certainly be ok moving JoMo instead of Pionk.
As far as Copp, I'm really not that high on him improving his production going forward. I'd say he may hold and regress in the near future.
I wouldn't be paying Copp any more than 4 mill per.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd certainly be ok moving JoMo instead of Pionk.
As far as Copp, I'm really not that high on him improving his production going forward. I'd say he may hold and regress in the near future.
I wouldn't be paying Copp any more than 4 mill per.
So what are you doin with the extra room if u can fit our whole team into the budget. I get moving a player to make cap space but then u need to fill that space. I’d hope that Perfetti can fill one hole in top 6 I guess that leaves us short 1 rw but better to have a really strong d and a whole in ur second line’s rw than a weaker d and a stronger top 6. Our back up goalie worries me.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
If it was me, I would sign Pionk around 6 and trade Copp if he puts us over.

Another option would be to deal Pionk, JoMo or Schmidt, sign Copp, and acquire a cheaper D around 3 mill.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I would run

Jomo Schmidt
Dillon pionk
Stan demelo.

D is more important to a paul Maurice coached team. You still have kc ehlers scheif even wheels to do the scoring.. Stastny will add a few so will lowsy and u hope for some steps forward for guts like Perfetti ves Harkins Gus and you got a good group.

In every scenario I come up with.. copp is traded... it just... with perfetti in the wings Andy ain't long term top 6 so unless he's willing to go 4 max.. he's moved

Copp Little To Arizona for Dvorak.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So what are you doin with the extra room if u can fit our whole team into the budget. I get moving a player to make cap space but then u need to fill that space. I’d hope that Perfetti can fill one hole in top 6 I guess that leaves us short 1 rw but better to have a really strong d and a whole in ur second line’s rw than a weaker d and a stronger top 6. Our back up goalie worries me.
Morrissey would fill a big hole after Chabot in Ottawa...

Connor Brown, Anton Forsberg for Morrissey?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
After watching the dumpster fire that was our d corps last season, I'm shocked that anyone would advocate for trading any of the pieces we have - it's finally fixed (maybe) - leave it well enough alone.

Copp is a nice, versatile forward that can play anywhere in the middle 6 - but he's the guy who will have to go is there's no room.

If Pionk comes in around 6M, we're still under 30M total for our top 6 d men. That's a bargain. Look for cap space elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad