GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think this week has been a testy/more emotional one for this board with the trade deadline drama. There's been A LOT of arguing relative to normal days this season.

I think we should be able to agree to disagree whenever there's a difference of opinion. As someone said before recently on our board, we're a small group.

I read this as condescending, and thus, you are now my mortal enemy.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I read this as condescending, and thus, you are now my mortal enemy.
giphy.gif

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Anyone else watch that NJ, LV overtime last night? Who the f is Aiden Hill and where did he come from. NJ completely dominated that overtime to eventually loose in the SO.

The Rags might be tough this season but I don’t think they’re set up as well for long term success as NJ and CAR. Even with free agents and college draftees knocking down their door.

But this NJ squad, if they can find a way to keep this group mostly together, including Meier, is the real fckin deal. They’ve got the potential to be scary good for a long, long time.

With Hughes, Hischier and Palat locked in. If they can get Bratt and Meier signed up to similar cap friendly deals that’s 5/6th of a stupid good top six. That Hughes deal might already be the best contract in the NHL.

It’s going to be interesting over the next couple of seasons to see them and the Hurricanes going head to head. Two totally different play styles on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
This place could use some Star Wars in their life.
Speaking of, and on a lighter note, I hope that when they inevitably make a new Star Wars movie trilogy, it's about the Knights of the Old Republic.

Not only because of the interesting story and characters, but it will actually give them a solid framework to work from for a trilogy unlike when they improvised/made up shit as they went along/did things on the fly with the Rey trilogy. They didn't have any long term vision, and switching directors didn't help that trilogy IMO. The Snook to Palpatine switch is a perfect example.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Speaking of, and on a lighter note, I hope that when they inevitably make a new Star Wars movie trilogy, it's about the Knights of the Old Republic.

Not only because of the interesting story and characters, but it will actually give them a solid framework to work from for a trilogy unlike when they improvised/made up shit as they went along/did things on the fly with the Rey trilogy. They didn't have any long term vision, and switching directors didn't help that trilogy IMO. The Snook to Palpatine switch is a perfect example.

Yeah I like a lot of the SWs themes, and some of the plot lines but they definitely seem fragmented and thrown together as a whole. I will say I recently watched Andor and loved it. I think out of all the story lines, that one (leading into Rogue One) is the best.

Reactions: Tryamw and Sigurd

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You've mentioned this dish before. Is this a family recipe?
In a way. My daughter found the recipe online some time back and wanted that I make it. I made it a couple of times, until my spouse said that yeah, she's done eating it.

Today she's away the whole day for a rabbit show, and I wouldn't pass the opportunity. :)

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Anyone else watch that NJ, LV overtime last night? Who the f is Aiden Hill and where did he come from. NJ completely dominated that overtime to eventually loose in the SO.

The Rags might be tough this season but I don’t think they’re set up as well for long term success as NJ and CAR. Even with free agents and college draftees knocking down their door.

But this NJ squad, if they can find a way to keep this group mostly together, including Meier, is the real fckin deal. They’ve got the potential to be scary good for a long, long time.

With Hughes, Hischier and Palat locked in. If they can get Bratt and Meier signed up to similar cap friendly deals that’s 5/6th of a stupid good top six. That Hughes deal might already be the best contract in the NHL.

It’s going to be interesting over the next couple of seasons to see them and the Hurricanes going head to head. Two totally different play styles on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I watched the last half of the 3rd and OT. Hill completely stole that game for Vegas. There is no doubt NJ is good, but I wonder how they look when everything is turned up a few notches in the playoffs. Adding Meier certainly helps.

Reactions: ndp

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Meier extension will be interesting. $10 mill QO for this final RFA year, but at his age turning 27 at the end of the year, he probably would prefer a long term deal. But Hughes is signed for 7 more including 4 UFA years at $8 mill. But, Pasta a winger got paid at age 27 (he was drafted a year earlier) for $11.25 mill per. So, does NJ blow out their cap ceiling and pay Meier more than Hughes into the $9 mill or more range on a long term deal?

At least for NJ, unlike Toronto, when they brought in Tavares, Hughes is already signed. Tor signed Tavares while Matthews and Marner were still on their ELC and they wanted money similar to Tavares given their production. But, signing Meier resets the bar on that team.

As for long term success, you need your core to be consistently great. And to supplement that core, you need depth guys to come in and provide something for cheap. Is NJ a place that seasoned vets like Perry would sign with, like when he did with Dal, Mon, TB when he was 34 on older?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

If they (NJ) find a top notch goalie, watch out. That's been their achilles heel the past couple of years and even parts of this year.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I watched the last half of the 3rd and OT. Hill completely stole that game for Vegas. There is no doubt NJ is good, but I wonder how they look when everything is turned up a few notches in the playoffs. Adding Meier certainly helps.
It could definitely take NJ’s young guys a few seasons of playoffs to get comfortable with the elevated style of play the playoffs bring. Baring any major injuries I see them as a perennial playoff team from here on out so gaining that experience shouldn’t be an issue.

I think their backend is definitely a weakness compared to the Hurricanes, for now. But I would definitely put their offense a few notches above the Hurricanes. It’s going to be fun to see if they can sustain their offense in the playoffs.

If they (NJ) find a top notch goalie, watch out. That's been their achilles heal the past couple of years and even parts of this year.
I’m really surprised they didn’t try and swing a trade this deadline. With all the speculation that Soros might be available, that would literally be worst case scenario for the Hurricanes if he somehow wound up in NJ.

I know Donny and the FO talk about not worrying about what other teams are doing. But at some point you’ve got to look over your shoulder and see what’s happening.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
As for long term success, you need your core to be consistently great. And to supplement that core, you need depth guys to come in and provide something for cheap. Is NJ a place that seasoned vets like Perry would sign with, like when he did with Dal, Mon, TB when he was 34 on older?
If they start winning, I think absolutely vets will be knocking down their door.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think that all I can say is that the FO are a confident bunch that don't give two shits about what the rest of the NHL does. It's admirable, but I don't know if it will pay off. There's a lot of debate right now about the value of picks for contending teams, but I feel like the Canes are clearly on the side of believing that eventually drafting well and drafting often will lead to the best outcome. No other contending clubs truly have an equivalent to a Nikishin, a Kochetkov, or even a Scott Morrow, and all of them were drafted AFTER the 1st round.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think that all I can say is that the FO are a confident bunch that don't give two shits about what the rest of the NHL does. It's admirable, but I don't know if it will pay off. There's a lot of debate right now about the value of picks for contending teams, but I feel like the Canes are clearly on the side of believing that eventually drafting well and drafting often will lead to the best outcome.

I think they're confident in their timeline and that shows up during times like the TDL when they largely stand pat. Dundon was pretty clear on their vision of being in contention for years to come and dismissing the notion of SC windows. As you said, it's a bold move Cotton and we'll see if pays off. The thing about trail blazers is, they usually look foolish until whatever they're doing —their approach, works. Then suddenly they're innovators.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that all I can say is that the FO are a confident bunch that don't give two shits about what the rest of the NHL does. It's admirable, but I don't know if it will pay off. There's a lot of debate right now about the value of picks for contending teams, but I feel like the Canes are clearly on the side of believing that eventually drafting well and drafting often will pay off.
You can choose to be patient and always be a contender, ala the GB Packers who typically don't go out and spend big in Free Agency.
But, for Carolina, Aho and Pesce are due up in 2024. They can begin negotiations and sign this summer. But, Pasta got $11.25 and MacKinnon got $12.6 mill on their extensions. If Aho lands somewhere in between because he's a C, that's a $3 mill increase over his current deal and unlike going from ELC to your RFA deal, there's unlikely to be a significant bump in production when he turns 27. That's not old, but he made the NHL at 19, vs someone at 23. I don't foresee his production jumping up 25% moving forward. You're going to be paying more for the same production you have now. Same with Pesce. So, that's probably a $4-$5 mill increase against their combined cap of $12.5 mill to something in the $16.5 to $17.5 mill range.
So, that's going to eat up the projected bump of $4 mill or whatever in the cap. Seeing Wash and Pitt slide out of the contender status as Sid and Ovy age, but they will get replaced by other teams like NJ, Det, Buf, and whomever else is able to build a team. Always going to be competition to win. Like the NFL right now in the AFC who have the majority of the top QBs in the league. Just the way it goes. Maybe being patient works out, but maybe giving your current roster a shot could have worked out.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I think that all I can say is that the FO are a confident bunch that don't give two shits about what the rest of the NHL does. It's admirable, but I don't know if it will pay off. There's a lot of debate right now about the value of picks for contending teams, but I feel like the Canes are clearly on the side of believing that eventually drafting well and drafting often will pay off.
I think they’re definitely trying to buck the trend as far as drafting and player evaluation.

Anyone have any insight as to how Dundon structures his other businesses? It was 12 years ago when I took my business admin classes but does Dundon believe in market, equal, flexible or tailored pay structures? That might glean some more insight as to how they’re going to manage the roster.

Either way, I imagine bucking the trends, and disrupting the ol boys club isn’t going to gain him and the FO any favors around the league. I really hope it doesn’t negatively impact their ability to negotiate going forward.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
You can choose to be patient and always be a contender, ala the GB Packers who typically don't go out and spend big in Free Agency.
But, for Carolina, Aho and Pesce are due up in 2024. They can begin negotiations and sign this summer. But, Pasta got $11.25 and MacKinnon got $12.6 mill on their extensions. If Aho lands somewhere in between because he's a C, that's a $3 mill increase over his current deal and unlike going from ELC to your RFA deal, there's unlikely to be a significant bump in production when he turns 27. That's not old, but he made the NHL at 19, vs someone at 23. I don't foresee his production jumping up 25% moving forward. You're going to be paying more for the same production you have now. Same with Pesce. So, that's probably a $4-$5 mill increase against their combined cap of $12.5 mill to something in the $16.5 to $17.5 mill range.
So, that's going to eat up the projected bump of $4 mill or whatever in the cap. Seeing Wash and Pitt slide out of the contender status as Sid and Ovy age, but they will get replaced by other teams like NJ, Det, Buf, and whomever else is able to build a team. Always going to be competition to win. Like the NFL right now in the AFC who have the majority of the top QBs in the league. Just the way it goes. Maybe being patient works out, but maybe giving your current roster a shot could have worked out.

Historically, though, the Canes have been comfortable with walking players. If the only guys that they pay are Aho, Slavin, and one of Skjei/Pesce while letting everyone else find their asking prices elsewhere, you can still make a really deep roster without ELC reliance. Holding onto Morrow/Nikishin and paying long-term RFA instead of UFA values on their second contracts (if they pan out) might be extremely helpful in that regard. Again, in the Canes system, what's truly valuable IMO are the second contracts, not the ELCs. The ELCs are more of a luxury item than a true need.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
If they (NJ) find a top notch goalie, watch out. That's been their achilles heal the past couple of years and even parts of this year.
As a New Yorker, it's outrageous to think I could root for the Devils over the Rangers but I'm leaning in that direction. The Devils during their championship years were awful to watch and just so cheezy with their trap style of play. Yet, right now, I can't stand the Rags mainly due to Fox and his bitch boy demand to play for his hometown team over the Canes. That and others who demand to play for the Rags. F*ck 'em I say.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think this week has been a testy/more emotional one for this board with the trade deadline drama. There's been A LOT of arguing relative to normal days this season.

I think we should be able to agree to disagree whenever there's a difference of opinion. As someone said before recently on our board, we're a small group.

That's what she said? :whaaa?: I don't know about the rest of the board but I'm considered average. And besides, it's not the size of the wand but the skill of the magician!

• Haha
Reactions: Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad