Speculation: Trade deadline Wednesday, April 3 2013

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why should we try and land him? He has not much physicality, it's a Purcells like statline with more defensive awareness. He has 2 PIM, 3 blocked shots and 7 hits !!!

If he comes in cheap and is willing to play the third line (which I don't believe in). But it seems like Wings will re-sign him anyway. I didn't say we should go for him, I said that top 6 would be too soft for me. And we have kids pushing at those spots soon.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I totally understand your fear, that we rush them but what must they show you, that you think they are ready?

I don't think a 5 games test stint would hurt their development and I think some of them are ready, just like Killorn and Conacher. Connolly is in my opinion a sure thing to play in Tampa next year again, so he will stay down the whole year. But whats wrong with testing Johnson, Palat, Panik and maybe even Brown in the NHL? If one of them shows he must stay in the NHL, because he is too good to send him down, then he deserves the spot. And I bet with you that Johnson and/or Panik is 100% ready to play 12/13 minutes in the NHL.
Same thing on D, we are all high on Gudas because of his style/play and he shows a lot of promise, but it's still questionable if he has the talent to play a top4 role in the NHL, while many proscouts see a lot more talent in Barberio and I think he has the same "slump" as Conacher after his perfect year last year, so let's give him a chance and see if he can surprise as well. The only problem is we already have to much offense in the D, but I really can't see what he has to do, to give him a call-up? As long as we trade non of our current 8 D, no one will get a chance when some injurys come on the same time, because we would still have 6 to play.
Nobody will know, if they are really ready until they get a chance.

Brown is fresh of a pretty ****ed up collarbone, and has very limited ice time opportunity here. Do we shove him into a third or fourth line role and forget about him, or try to cultivate the talent that he has into a potential second line forward?

Killorn is fine. I don't think Killorn will ever be going back to Syracuse. Hes ready, after a solid showing in college as well as the Ads playoff run. I will be incredibly disappointed if he goes back.

Connolly and Panik are too... I don't want to say lazy, but they're unique players and need to play with adept scorers and playmakers to truly shine. Connolly was wildly inconsistent last year and his callup now wouldn't be beneficial to his development, nor to the production of the team. Same with Panik - you saw his flashes of brilliance with Killorn and Conacher on the same line, but generally they should be approached with a top-six-or-bust attitude, rather than "well lets see what you can do".

Palat is a good player but with a low overall ceiling. His callup here is exactly the kind of thing we need - someone who will go in the corners, mix it up, be responsible defensively, and be a possession player with good hands. If he can win faceoffs, even better.

We have a horrible logjam at defense right now, do we risk calling a guy up now and waiving someone? Who do you get rid of? Waive Mikkelson who hasn't been bad, but has shown he can at least be a replacement level player in the NHL when we don't know (but assume) Gudas or Barberio can?

How about Johnson? That would make a team with three guys under 5-9, with one of them over 35 with a team that has shown reluctance to step in for these smaller guys. Who do you even put Johnson on a line with, Pyatt and who? You think a small, scoring forward is going to thrive with guys like Pyatt and Labrie? Nate and Pyatt? Those guys aren't the most offensively adept, you know.

People are in an absolute panic right now, and yet somehow completely revamping the roster, trading Teddy, Bugsy, and Brewer is going to fix this? Just call up all of the crunch players and destroy the great thing we have going down there and stunting the development of other players like Namestnikov, Connolly, Korobov, JT Brown? How about Devos, and Gauthier who is a big project? Do we just say "well, the team has been gutted, its all up to you, thanks!" to these guys? We've never had a solid, productive, winning AHL affiliate. This team confidence does wonders for player development and i'm not ready to destroy that because everyone is in a panic with the big club.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Brown is fresh of a pretty ****ed up collarbone, and has very limited ice time opportunity here. Do we shove him into a third or fourth line role and forget about him, or try to cultivate the talent that he has into a potential second line forward?

Killorn is fine. I don't think Killorn will ever be going back to Syracuse. Hes ready, after a solid showing in college as well as the Ads playoff run. I will be incredibly disappointed if he goes back.

Connolly and Panik are too... I don't want to say lazy, but they're unique players and need to play with adept scorers and playmakers to truly shine. Connolly was wildly inconsistent last year and his callup now wouldn't be beneficial to his development, nor to the production of the team. Same with Panik - you saw his flashes of brilliance with Killorn and Conacher on the same line, but generally they should be approached with a top-six-or-bust attitude, rather than "well lets see what you can do".

Palat is a good player but with a low overall ceiling. His callup here is exactly the kind of thing we need - someone who will go in the corners, mix it up, be responsible defensively, and be a possession player with good hands. If he can win faceoffs, even better.

We have a horrible logjam at defense right now, do we risk calling a guy up now and waiving someone? Who do you get rid of? Waive Mikkelson who hasn't been bad, but has shown he can at least be a replacement level player in the NHL when we don't know (but assume) Gudas or Barberio can?

How about Johnson? That would make a team with three guys under 5-9, with one of them over 35 with a team that has shown reluctance to step in for these smaller guys. Who do you even put Johnson on a line with, Pyatt and who? You think a small, scoring forward is going to thrive with guys like Pyatt and Labrie? Nate and Pyatt? Those guys aren't the most offensively adept, you know.

People are in an absolute panic right now, and yet somehow completely revamping the roster, trading Teddy, Bugsy, and Brewer is going to fix this? Just call up all of the crunch players and destroy the great thing we have going down there and stunting the development of other players like Namestnikov, Connolly, Korobov, JT Brown? How about Devos, and Gauthier who is a big project? Do we just say "well, the team has been gutted, its all up to you, thanks!" to these guys? We've never had a solid, productive, winning AHL affiliate. This team confidence does wonders for player development and i'm not ready to destroy that because everyone is in a panic with the big club.

Great post.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Excellent read on the farm players you are dead on. I still think Gudas should be brought up, make some room buy moving Bergeron. I just feel that Malone is well past his prime, he's body just can't take it anymore. Teddy is a real talent but is not a fit due to the fact we are top heavy on talent but lack some grit. In my opinion Brewer is also done, time to move him while you can still get something for him. The players I would like to see brought up would be warriors like Gudas and Angelidis.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I understand your hesitation but you can't leave these kids in the A forever. I don't recommend blowing up the crunch but the lightning are the main priority, we need to put a team out that can win.
Every team brings kids up and sends them back down its a part of the league, you need to see if they can play at the NHL level. There's countless stories of guys who can light up the A but struggle in the show.
Bringing up a few players shouldn't the younger players, it should help them. Guys who get scratched or play a bottom 6 role can move up the depth chart. Guys like Hutchings, Landry and Millan can get out of the ECHL.
There's always gonna be that prospect ready for the jump and the veteran who we should mbabyove. We haven't had a strong organization with talented prospects before so these are issues we are new too.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Gauthier, Lazar.. I'd like Jacob De La Rose on second round pick. Winger, but big, skating isn't bad and keeps he's legs moving and takes the body. Off. upside may not be enough for top6 job but I'd still take a look at him, depending where Tampa finishes and who's available.

Exactly, and who knows, if this continues we may end up in position to draft Barkov or Monahan :naughty:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Exactly, and who knows, if this continues we may end up in position to draft Barkov or Monahan :naughty:

If we are in a position to get Barkov I would really hope Drouin is still their. Otherwise try to move up and get him. We don't need another highend center, IF a winger is possible, eypecially Drouin

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If we are in a position to get Barkov I would really hope Drouin is still their. Otherwise try to move up and get him. We don't need another highend center, IF a winger is possible, eypecially Drouin

Absolutely, Drouin is my favorite prospect in the draft. I see him going in the top-2 though, unless we win the lottery I don't think we'll be picking that high. I would kill to see Drouin in a Lightning jersey.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
So, if we are totally out of it this year, and it looks promising....what do you guys think we can get for Brewer? He doesn't have a history of being a "+" player throughout his career and he's not a rental with 2 years left on his somewhat sizable contract....

I would say a second rounder would be reasonable, it would most likely be a high second rounder though. Although, even a third rounder would be good - get him off the cap and call up one of our defensive prospects from the Crunch. :vhappy:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Ryan Clowe has been terrible this year and we have a similar player in Malone.

Basically this. I would have suggested Clarkson but with Malone back, we've added some much needed size, board play/presence in front of goal and physicality to our top 6. When Malone wants to play, he's a great power forward who opens up space for players like Stamkos and Marty.

Also, the rumoured package is a first rounder and a prospect for him, which is a price we simply can't afford to part with.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Really? You wouldn't take that deal? I would in a heartbeat because of age, however there's no chance San Jose would make that trade!

For me to trade Marty, it has to be a MASSIVE overpayment. He is the heart and soul of this team and the unofficial captain. He's been the face of the franchise for years. He holds a special place in the community. The only way I would consider trading Marty is if he is in his last year or two before retiring and he requests to get traded to a contender for one last run. Besides that, he is not tradable.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Ryan Clowe has been terrible this year and we have a similar player in Malone.

And that's exactly why you would want him, if he was playing great you wouldn't get him. With all our smallish skilled forwards another Malone type player is needed. That said I do think the asking price would be too high, but I sure would be asking !!!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
For me to trade Marty, it has to be a MASSIVE overpayment. He is the heart and soul of this team and the unofficial captain. He's been the face of the franchise for years. He holds a special place in the community. The only way I would consider trading Marty is if he is in his last year or two before retiring and he requests to get traded to a contender for one last run. Besides that, he is not tradable.

I'm getting tired of hearing how he'sthe heart and soul of the team. We've sucked the past two years, we can't win close games and we really have no heart. He's a great player but I don't see him carrying this team while we struggle. I don't know if its from all the losing but I don't see his passion like he had in the past.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm getting tired of hearing how he'sthe heart and soul of the team. We've sucked the past two years, we can't win close games and we really have no heart. He's a great player but I don't see him carrying this team while we struggle. I don't know if its from all the losing but I don't see his passion like he had in the past.

He's been one of the few guys that hasn't stopped over the past 2 years. He works hard every game despite being 37 years old, and sure he has a lot of turnovers but he also has the puck more than any other forward. He QBs pretty much every offensive play. A lot of his turnovers or stupid decisions probably stem from him trying to do too much, same reason for Stammer's recent trouble with turnovers. Would you say that Iginla isn't the heart and soul of Calgary? They've sucked for longer than 2 years.

Plus don't forget, he's 37 years old. You can't expect the guy to continue to carry the team forever.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Yzerman on trade deadline (DC):

"I wouldn't say add; I would say improve," Yzerman said. "We'll certainly explore that. It's pretty early, but we're not going to start trading draft picks and prospects and young players for (potential unrestricted free agents) to bolster our lineup. I'll be looking more for real trades for players that can fit into our lineup and be with us for an extended period of time."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-to-stay-the-course-for-now/2108171

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417903

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad