Pre-Game Talk: Trade Deadline: Valid Rumors ONLY (Confirmed Trades in OP / Vanek to MTL )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Promised some folks I would start this. VALID rumors ONLY. Any speculative garbage, OT bickering, etc will be deleted.

From Bob McKenzie's Twitter:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4h
Callahan demands to NYR have decreased from 7 x $7M+ he was asking. Now open to 6 years at less than $7M per, maybe in $6.5-6.75M range?

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4h
As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun, Callahan's latest offer to NYR is 6 years at south of $6.5M per. NYR appear to be holding line at $6M per.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[PHX/WSH] M. Erat+J. Mitchell to Coyotes for R. Klesla+C. Brown+4th Round Pick.
Chris Johnston @reporterchris

The #coyotes send Rostislav Klelsa, Chris Brown and a fourth-round pick to the #caps for Martin Erat and prospect Garrett Mitchell.

[CHI/PHX] David Rundblad for 2nd Round Pick (2014)
@azc_mclellan: Can confirm Rundblad to Blackhawks for second-round pick this year.

[FLA/VAN] Roberto Luongo (15% retained by Van.) + S. Anthony to Florida for Jacob Markstrom + Shawn Matthias
Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 35s

#canucks traded Roberto Luongo to Panthers.

[NYI/PHI] Andrew MacDonald to PHI for Matt Mangene, 2nd (2015) and a 3rd (2014)
Quote:
@StapeNewsday: #Isles have traded Andrew MacDonald to the Flyers. More to come.

[ANA/DAL] Robidas for a 4th Round Pick
Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 2m
Ducks get fourth-round pick from Caps for Penner, give that pick up for Robidas

[MIN/EDM] Bryzgalov To Minnesota for a 2014 4th
EdmontonOilers: #Oilers have acquired a 2014 fourth-round draft pick from the @mnwild in exchange for goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov.

[WSH/ANA] Dustin Penner to Washington for 4th round pick
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/stat...21171274760193
Quote:
Hearing Penner likely to @washcaps from @AnaheimDucks.

[EDM/ANA] Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for 3rd (2015) and a 5th (2014)

Eric Stephens
@icemancometh
Also hearing @Dustinpenner25 to Washington is real in addition to Viktor Fasth heading to Edmonton.

[FLA/MTL] Mike Weaver for a 5th in 2015
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger now
Florida closing in on a trade involving d-man Mike Weaver. Canadiens are among teams with interest in Weaver. Draft pick likely return.

[CHI/FLA] Brandon Pirri to FLA for 3rd in 2014 and 5th in 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
God I hope he doesn't "soften" his demands any further. What a disaster if we end up with him at 6x6. :( I can only hope that this makes him a bit easier to deal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sounds like we re-sign him for sure. My gut instinct about a week ago is proving to be true.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He's taking a "discount" only because the Sabres would be stupid enough to sign him for almost 7M per.

Whatever, I'm used to it with this team.. he will be signed no question IMO

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

It'd be nice if Sather softened his offer to 4X4.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Aren't Callahan and Girardi's wives good friends? If I were a betting man, I would guess that after Girardi re-signed, Cally's wife gave him the smackdown and told him to get a deal done. Everything we've heard about Callahan softening his demands, both on term and dollars, has come since Girardi re-signed.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Even if it allegedly happened before the olympic break, it seems like Callahan softened quite a bit on his terms. Have to think the two sides hammer it out before Wednesday.

Between Callahan at $6M+, Nash at $7.8M and Zucc likely to command close to the $3.5-4M range, that's close to $18M tied up on the right-wing alone. Over 1/3rd of the projected cap tied up in RW and goaltending. Yikes.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Aren't Callahan and Girardi's wives good friends? If I were a betting man, I would guess that after Girardi re-signed, Cally's wife gave him the smackdown and told him to get a deal done. Everything we've heard about Callahan softening his demands, both on term and dollars, has come since Girardi re-signed.

Yeah they are very close. His teammates love him, and the coach is a fan. I truly felt this was a distraction the last couple of games for the entire team.

I had a feeling if Giradi got signed, it would effect his demands, but they are saying this happened before the Olympic break, I don't buy that, and think he lowered his demands right after G was signed.

Oh well, when this is all set and done, we can move onto whether Richards will be bought out or not. lol.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Sounds like we re-sign him for sure. My gut instinct about a week ago is proving to be true.

While I don't agree w/ the strategy, it's just a simple case of 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'

In lieu of a decent offer, sounds like the Ranger FO sees losing Callahan for nothing as much worse than an overly generous contract. 100% true in the short-term, potentially terrible in the intermediate.

If Callahan signs a 6x6 deal (as offered by the Rangers), let me put that in context in 2014 cap #s (assuming conservative 5% annual growth in league revenues):

2014 Salary (Age 28): 4.275 million
2015 Salary (Age 29): 5.7 million*
2016 Salary (Age 30): 5.415 million*
2017 Salary (Age 31): 5.14 million*
2018 Salary (Age 32): 4.89 million*
2019 Salary (Age 33): 4.64 million*
2020 Salary (Age 34): 4.41 million*

*Actual caphit of 6 million, but reflected 5% increase of cap each year to reference today's salaries for comparison purposes*

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'm really disappointed that we're likely to sign him. This thread shouldn't be used to discuss it though, since the other already is.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It sounds like, similar to Girardi, a deal is there.

And I would expect a deal to be made. Which is disappointing in my book.

That's pretty much the size of it.

Callahan is clearly the 3rd best RW on the team behind Zuccarello and Nash. Why on earth would you want to tie up $6M on a 3rd liner? Even an elite one.

Callahan's already starting to decline. The injuries are mounting, and he's slowing down very noticeably.

I'm fully aware that Callahan has toiled and bled for this team for the last 7 years, but the smart, shrewdly managed teams in this league don't pay a player based on past history, especially not a player showing clear signs of decline.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Cally is already an injured mess who is regressing. Anything more than 4 years at 5-5.5 per would be a disaster.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
While I don't agree w/ the strategy, it's just a simple case of 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'

In lieu of a decent offer, sounds like the Ranger FO sees losing Callahan for nothing as much worse than an overly generous contract. 100% true in the short-term, potentially terrible in the intermediate.

If Callahan signs a 6x6 deal (as offered by the Rangers), let me put that in context in 2014 cap #s (assuming conservative 5% annual growth in league revenues):

2014 Salary (Age 28): 4.275 million
2015 Salary (Age 29): 5.7 million*
2016 Salary (Age 30): 5.415 million*
2017 Salary (Age 31): 5.14 million*
2018 Salary (Age 32): 4.89 million*
2019 Salary (Age 33): 4.64 million*
2020 Salary (Age 34): 4.41 million*

*Actual caphit of 6 million, but reflected 5% increase of cap each year to reference today's salaries for comparison purposes*

That's some really twisted logic, considering you discount his deal down to 5.7 in the very first season it's on the books. It would be 6M that year. If you wanna adjust for 5% growth every season then forth! be my guest, but you're just playing with numbers to try and convince yourself it's more palatable when it is, in fact, unjustifiable regardless.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
That's some really twisted logic, considering you discount his deal down to 5.7 in the very first season it's on the books. It would be 6M that year. If you wanna adjust for 5% growth every season then forth! be my guest, but you're just playing with numbers to try and convince yourself it's more palatable when it is, in fact, unjustifiable regardless.

I've been the biggest supporter of moving Callahan. My rationale for discounting the first year is sound, as it is a comparison to 2013-2014 cap value.

$6 million next year, when the contract starts is worth less that in today's cap. In addition, next year's cap is going up more than my 5% growth figure, so if anything, it is overstated and should reflect a lower 2014 cap equivalency.

Cap inflation numbers are important to look at, regardless of the deal (this one I don't approve of), but many people don't know the context of the caphit in the future (not easily, at least). I gave a comparison tool for established caphits/prices in today's season - the only reference point that everyone here knows.

If you told someone in 1950 that a hamburger would cost $3, they would lose their ****.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
That's pretty much the size of it.

Callahan is clearly the 3rd best RW on the team behind Zuccarello and Nash. Why on earth would you want to tie up $6M on a 3rd liner? Even an elite one.

Callahan's already starting to decline. The injuries are mounting, and he's slowing down very noticeably.

I'm fully aware that Callahan has toiled and bled for this team for the last 7 years, but the smart, shrewdly managed teams in this league don't pay a player based on past history, especially not a player showing clear signs of decline.

like which teams? and which players? people throw these platitudes out and i don't see examples of any of it. And what about his game shows he is declining? Or, is he just no longer the flavor of the month now. Soon to be replaced by someone 5 years younger than him who dazzles on youtube.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
cally is my favorite player ever but i don't care for his attitude when it comes to this contract. he hasn't had a good year at all and he expects almost 7 million a year. hes come close to 30 goals once, what world is he living in? i'm incredibly biased towards cally and i dont think he deserves more than 5 million a year.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011

why is this twisted logic? its fact based logic that supports what is actually a conservative formula what the salary cap will be .

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Even if it allegedly happened before the olympic break, it seems like Callahan softened quite a bit on his terms. Have to think the two sides hammer it out before Wednesday.

Between Callahan at $6M+, Nash at $7.8M and Zucc likely to command close to the $3.5-4M range, that's close to $18M tied up on the right-wing alone. Over 1/3rd of the projected cap tied up in RW and goaltending. Yikes.

I think with Cally in the range he will get if we sign him, Zucc will want AT LEAST $4m. No way we're getting him at 3.5m.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
why is this twisted logic? its fact based logic that supports what is actually a conservative formula what the salary cap will be .

Because I don't think, for many of us the primary issue has anything to do with a Cally's contract solely as a percentage of the cap. I think the lunacy of paying Cally 6M, period, is the problem. He will still be paid 6M, to likely be a less effective hockey player than he is at the moment (which isn't terribly effective), in each year of that breakdown, regardless of how you twist it to make it hurt less. I simply do not want him at that price, even if the cap jumps up 12M in the second year suddenly, and his price isn't much of a hindrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad