Speculation: Trade Deadline Targets: Backup Goalies

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With the deadline just 10 days away I thought it would be worth having a more focussed discussion thread about our trade targets. This thread is dedicated to backup goalies, and to start the discussion off below is my top 10 list of trade deadline backup goalie targets.

Top 10 Trade Deadline Targets: Backup goalies

1. Jonathan Bernier, $3m x 1 :wings

Has a winning record on a brutally bad team, at 8-6-0, with a 0.918 sv% and 2.78 GAA. He's a known entity for the Avs as well, so would be able to slot seamlessly into the organisation... assuming that he's healthy again of course. Elliott Friedman linked us to him when the Johansson trade happened.​

2. James Reimer, $3.4m x 1 :canes

If Carolina decide to move Reimer to create capspace for a forward add he would be a good option. 14-4-1, 0.905 sv%, and 2.71 GAA. His career numbers in 11 playoff games are also solid: 5-5-0, 0.925 sv%, and 2.70 GAA.​

3. Linus Ullmark, $2.6m x 1 :sabres

Somehow has managed to have a winning record the last 3 seasons in Buffalo, and this season he has very good numbers: 6-5-3, 0.920 sv%, and 2.49 GAA.​

4. Chris Driedger, $850k x 1 :panthers

He'd be at the top of this list if not for the fact that Florida probably don't want to move him, so it would take an overpayment to get him. Nonetheless, he's posted excellent numbers this year: 10-4-2, 0.927 sv%, 2.18 GAA. Including last season his numbers are even more impressive: 17-6-3, 0.931 sv%, 2.13 GAA.​

5. Antti Raanta, $4.25m x 1 :coyotes2

5-4-2, .913 sv%, 3.20 GAA. Would be a solid addition, though there are legitimate concerns about his injury proneness.​

6. Joonas Korpisalo, $2.8m x 2 :cbj

Hasn't had the best season, with pedestrian numbers: 8-10-6, 0.899 sv%, 3.02 GAA. However, his play in last years playoffs was phenomenal, and the hope would be that he can find that form again: 3-5-0, 0.941 sv%, 1.90 GAA. There's also the risk of losing him to Seattle if we don't do a handshake deal with Grubauer, which makes it risky to pay a high price for him.​

Note: Merzlikins could be a possibility as well, but I see that as more of an offseason move if Grubauer prices himself out so I haven't included him in this list.

7. Darcy Kuemper, $4.5m x 2 :coyotes2

Has put up good but unspectacular numbers this year, 7-7-2, .914 sv%, 2.41 GAA. With an extra year on his deal there would need to be some significant retention to make it viable going into next season (assuming that Grubauer resigns), unless of course the plan is to treat him as a pure rental and have Seattle take him. It doesn't seem very realistic as a solution for the Avs, but would nonetheless be worth exploring as an option for due diligence purposes.​

8. Frederik Andersen, $5m x 1 :leafs

Has had a relatively poor and injury-riddled year, but if he's healthy and Toronto want to move him as a cap dump to open up space for another goalie then he might be a legitimate option as a 1B/backup for Grubauer. This season he is 13-8-2, .897 sv%, 2.91 GAA. In 53 playoff games he has a 27-23-0 record, .916 sv%, and 2.55 GAA.​

9. Scott Wedgewood, $700k x 1 :devils

He has limited NHL experience, but might be a decent buy-low candidate if he can put up similar numbers to those he's posted this season, albeit in a small sample size: 3-5-3, .914 sv%, 2.72 GAA. New Jersey fans reckon he's worth around a 4th or maybe 5th.​

10. Ryan Miller, $1m x 1 :ducks

He's had an up-and-down year, sometimes looking great (like the last game we played against them), but other times looking over-the-hill. His numbers aren't great, 3-8-1, .882 sv%, and 3.60 GAA, but perhaps he could be a solid enough option behind the leagues best defense.​

Honourable mentions: Alexandar Georgiev, David Rittich

Dis-honorable mentions: Devan Dubnyk

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to say this in each of your three threads: I love you.

I'd put Ullmark at the top of the list. I suspect he'll be much better than anyone expects once he gets out of Buffalo, and I haven't heard anyone talking about him as an option. Bernier, meanwhile, has shown up in every single article I've read where a team needs a goalie.

I also don't expect Columbus to trade either goalie at the deadline, as they can afford to be patient - Merzlikins is exempt from the expansion draft, which would make him an extremely attractive option for us if he were available.

Reimer would also be my second choice. His salary will scare away some suitors, and I have some nostalgia for his days as a Leaf. He's also a wonderful human being by all accounts, so if we're picking a guy to win a cup as our backup, he'd be a great choice.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm going to say this in each of your three threads: I love you.

I'd put Ullmark at the top of the list. I suspect he'll be much better than anyone expects once he gets out of Buffalo, and I haven't heard anyone talking about him as an option. Bernier, meanwhile, has shown up in every single article I've read where a team needs a goalie.

I also don't expect Columbus to trade either goalie at the deadline, as they can afford to be patient - Merzlikins is exempt from the expansion draft, which would make him an extremely attractive option for us if he were available.

Reimer would also be my second choice. His salary will scare away some suitors, and I have some nostalgia for his days as a Leaf. He's also a wonderful human being by all accounts, so if we're picking a guy to win a cup as our backup, he'd be a great choice.
Haha thanks brother!

I can certainly see Ullmark being the top target. I put him behind Bernier and Reimer though because he's likely to cost more given that how highly Buffalo value and need him. In Bernier's case there's also a benefit of him being familiar with the team already which should help him settle in quickly. Also, Bernier and Reimer have both been linked to the Avs to varying degrees recently, so having them in the top 2 is partially reflective of that too.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Haha thanks brother!

I can certainly see Ullmark being the top target. I put him behind Bernier and Reimer though because he's likely to cost more given that how highly Buffalo value and need him. In Bernier's case there's also a benefit of him being familiar with the team already which should help him settle in quickly. Also, Bernier and Reimer have both been linked to the Avs to varying degrees recently, so having them in the top 2 is partially reflective of that too.

Oh don't get me wrong. Bernier would be an excellent fit. I'm just worried half the league sees him as an excellent get.

As far as Ullmark, I guess it depends on if they think they can re-sign him. If Ullmark is going to walk anyway (which he 100% should), then moving him makes sense.

Reactions: Richard88

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Bernier will be expensive. I wouldn't cry if we could get a cup for Miller, but he wouldn't be my first target. Would be a great story though - hopefully he wouldn't ever have to play.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I'm not sure how it would work cap-wise, but Pekka Rinne is still a very good keeper, has no cup and is probably playing his last or at least one of his last seasons. He would have his buddy Donskoi in a team ready for a cup run.

I think he probably would be interested to do the play-off stint with Avs. the 7 million cap hit obviously is a bit of an obstacle, though.

From Op's list I think only Reimer and Andersen, maybe Miller would be available at a reasonable price. I would not be interested in taking any one of these.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm not sure how it would work cap-wise, but Pekka Rinne is still a very good keeper, has no cup and is probably playing his last or at least one of his last seasons. He would have his buddy Donskoi in a team ready for a cup run.

I think he probably would be interested to do the play-off stint with Avs. the 7 million cap hit obviously is a bit of an obstacle, though.

From Op's list I think only Reimer and Andersen, maybe Miller would be available at a reasonable price. I would not be interested in taking any one of these.
Poile had Rinne as one of his three "unmoveables" recently, and that was before Nashville jumped into a playoff spot. There's nothing to suggest that either he or Saros would be available.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Andersen is an interesting one, the Avs should have enough cap space to absorb his cost with minimal shuffling and as long as he's healthy he's better than anyone else on this list. But if the Leafs are as serious about trying to win the Cup this year, I don't know if I'm counting on Campbell and maybe Ullmark to get it done. If the Leafs are willing to deal him that must mean they don't think Andersen is going to get healthy enough by the playoffs to make it happen so very intriguing.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I agree with Mark T. I like the idea of Ullmark. I like that he’s capable of the spectacular save.

My preferred 3 would be: Ullmark, Driedger, and Miller.

Btw, I’m mentioning Driedger because I kind of remember reading speculation that Florida might buy out either Yandle or Stralman (don’t remember which). I wonder if maybe there’s a deal to be made involving Timmins or Graves with that in mind?

But of my preferred 3, Ullmark and Driedger would be the ideal. Miller would be the “better than what we currently have” option.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I agree with Mark T. I like the idea of Ullmark. I like that he’s capable of the spectacular save.

My preferred 3 would be: Ullmark, Driedger, and Miller.

Btw, I’m mentioning Driedger because I kind of remember reading speculation that Florida might buy out either Yandle or Stralman (don’t remember which). I wonder if maybe there’s a deal to be made involving Timmins or Graves with that in mind?

But of my preferred 3, Ullmark and Driedger would be the ideal. Miller would be the “better than what we currently have” option.
Avs won't touch the Stralman contract. They can't afford to have another 3rd pairing Dman earning close to $6m. Non-starter.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wasn’t suggesting the Avs should or would be interested in either Yandle or Stralman.
Can you clarify what sort of trade you were suggesting? It sounded to me that you were suggesting something like Timmins/Graves for Driedger + Yandle/Stralman.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Can you clarify what sort of trade you were suggesting? It sounded to me that you were suggesting something like Timmins/Graves for Driedger + Yandle/Stralman.

I said that I read something about Florida possibly buying out one or the other. If this is true, then Florida might be a good trade partner for taking either Timmins or Graves.

It was several months ago that I read this and I’m always reluctant to mention it because I don’t remember how credible it was. But if you’re being honest, the idea has merit. The reason I’ve re-engaged with the idea is seeing Ekblad go down.

Florida could be on the verge of something and I doubt they’d want to be torpedoed by these bad contracts.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I said that I read something about Florida possibly buying out one or the other. If this is true, then Florida might be a good trade partner for taking either Timmins or Graves.

It was several months ago that I read this and I’m always reluctant to mention it because I don’t remember how credible it was. But if you’re being honest, the idea has merit. The reason I’ve re-engaged with the idea is seeing Ekblad go down.

Florida could be on the verge of something and I doubt they’d want to be torpedoed by these bad contracts.
If they want to try to be competitive this season I doubt they'd want to bring in a rookie Dman like Timmins now. Graves also isn't going anywhere as we need him on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00