Trade Deadline Report Cards

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/01/2015-ohl-trade-deadline-report-cards.html

My assessment of the madness that went down. Interested to hear your thoughts or see your own report cards.

Brock

Very good job overall
Only really disagree with 2 or 3
The main one is Erie with a B+ rating,seems high only addressed 1 area of concern,
at forward even then maybe added 1 too many,but the goal tending definitely
needed an upgrade and so did the D,goal tending 1st,D 2nd and F last
The defense despite 3 O/as is a tad above average imo, and I mean a tad, a major
injury to Dermott or Raddyish will be a killer,Genovese and Donnay especially
are average at best,I like the other 3
Not shoreing up the goaltender is the worst blunder and in my view will be
their undoing
Very underwhelming performance at the trade despite 3 new forwards,2 would have
suffiiced,get a dman and a goalie
I would have graded them D
The other one I have issue with is Kitchener and their B+ rating,if it were just for the assets for Bailey and Pedersen I would agree,but once Paterson was acquired
that changed it for me,no different then what Saginaw did last yr they were 6th,
advised to move him,werent going anywhere and did not,and by the grace of God
got him back,he for the most part is the only reason they have a playoff spot
currently,getting back to Kitchener,dont see them climbing in the standings
if anything dropping,will get torched in the playoffs,some offensive power missing,an unhappy Iafrate not dealt,soft team for the most part,would have been
better to keep the picks dealt for Paterson,poor asset management imo
I would have have given them a B-,and only because of the Paterson thing

Other pretty good job Brock

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock

Very good job overall
Only really disagree with 2 or 3
The main one is Erie with a B+ rating,seems high only addressed 1 area of concern,
at forward even then maybe added 1 too many,but the goal tending definitely
needed an upgrade and so did the D,goal tending 1st,D 2nd and F last
The defense despite 3 O/as is a tad above average imo, and I mean a tad, a major
injury to Dermott or Raddyish will be a killer,Genovese and Donnay especially
are average at best,I like the other 3
Not shoreing up the goaltender is the worst blunder and in my view will be
their undoing
Very underwhelming performance at the trade despite 3 new forwards,2 would have
suffiiced,get a dman and a goalie
I would have graded them D
The other one I have issue with is Kitchener and their B+ rating,if it were just for the assets for Bailey and Pedersen I would agree,but once Paterson was acquired
that changed it for me,no different then what Saginaw did last yr they were 6th,
advised to move him,werent going anywhere and did not,and by the grace of God
got him back,he for the most part is the only reason they have a playoff spot
currently,getting back to Kitchener,dont see them climbing in the standings
if anything dropping,will get torched in the playoffs,some offensive power missing,an unhappy Iafrate not dealt,soft team for the most part,would have been
better to keep the picks dealt for Paterson,poor asset management imo
I would have have given them a B-,and only because of the Paterson thing

Other pretty good job Brock

Regarding Kitchener. I guess we just disagree. This is a team who wants to be one of the better teams in the West next year. If thats the case, their young stars need playoff experience.

Not just that, but the Kitchener Rangers are struggling a bit at the gate right now. Back to back poor/mediocre seasons are leaving some empty seats in the Aud. By acquiring Paterson, management shows a dedication to continued winning and putting the best product on the ice.

Also, the Rangers have been one of the top teams at luring American talent north of the border the last few years. If the team continues to lose, will said players want to come?

In the West, if you finish anywhere from 3-6, you give yourself a chance of making it into the second round. You just don't want to finish 7-8. The Rangers have given themselves that chance with Paterson.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Erie with a B+??...hell if I had you grading my college papers I'd be a neurosurgeon right now.:laugh:

I don't get all the fuss about Erie and goaltending.

Devin Williams has been inconsistent this year. No question about it. But he's a better goaltender than he's shown thus far. He was terrific in the playoffs last year when he stole the starter's job away from Oscar Dansk.

Let's not forget that the London Knights won an OHL title two years ago with inconsistent goaltending from Anthony Stolarz and Jake Patterson. Ditto for the 2011 champs in Owen Sound who relied on a banged up Scott Stajcer and a young Jordan Binnington.

Here's a stat for you. In the 27 years the OHL has awarded a goaltender of the year, only once has that goaltender gone on to win an OHL championship that year (2012 - Michael Houser).

In the playoffs it's all about getting hot and Devin Williams is every bit as capable of doing that as Brandon Halverson, Ken Appleby, or Jake Smith.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Its easy at first glance to question what Kitchener did, my first thought certainly was WTF!?!?

But when you sit down and really think about it and factor in what it cost for Paterson it kinda makes sense for Kitchener as Brock stated.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Add me to one that disagrees with your assessment here. I respect your opinion and you have made some points...

Regarding Kitchener. I guess we just disagree. This is a team who wants to be one of the better teams in the West next year. If thats the case, their young stars need playoff experience. What are their plans for a goaltender then next year? I highly doubt you will ride a rookie into playoff success and if you have someone worthy in the system, the more games he sees now the better. From what I see they will need to trade for another goalie next year - those picks would have come in awfully handy. I do agree that there is a benefit for young players to see playoff hockey.

Not just that, but the Kitchener Rangers are struggling a bit at the gate right now. Back to back poor/mediocre seasons are leaving some empty seats in the Aud. By acquiring Paterson, management shows a dedication to continued winning and putting the best product on the ice. Somewhat agree, but you struggle at the gate usually due to lack of season's ticket sales. Winning a few more games with a rental goalie may get you another round of playoffs but it won't fool many people into buying season's tickets for next year. You haven't fixed the problem going into next year - even if Patterson steals a series, fans know he is gone and there is a hole still to fill with a few less picks. Additionally, I would suggest if it backfires it will drive more season tickets away than it would have gained. You have not commented on the risk portion of this move.

Also, the Rangers have been one of the top teams at luring American talent north of the border the last few years. If the team continues to lose, will said players want to come? I really disagree here. The American agent and parent is not an uneducated beast - winning a few games this year won't make the difference. Americans find their way to the OHL with "incentives" or good coaching. (maybe both). Winning a few more games this year means squat to them. A selling point may be that they have a young team with picks in the bank to fill in the holes next year.

In the West, if you finish anywhere from 3-6, you give yourself a chance of making it into the second round. You just don't want to finish 7-8. The Rangers have given themselves that chance with Paterson. I do agree with this - and even with reduced attendance, the number paying fans per game may have made this worth it from the business side.

I don't get all the fuss about Erie and goaltending.

Devin Williams has been inconsistent this year. No question about it. But he's a better goaltender than he's shown thus far. He was terrific in the playoffs last year when he stole the starter's job away from Oscar Dansk.

Let's not forget that the London Knights won an OHL title two years ago with inconsistent goaltending from Anthony Stolarz and Jake Patterson. Ditto for the 2011 champs in Owen Sound who relied on a banged up Scott Stajcer and a young Jordan Binnington.

Here's a stat for you. In the 27 years the OHL has awarded a goaltender of the year, only once has that goaltender gone on to win an OHL championship that year (2012 - Michael Houser).

In the playoffs it's all about getting hot and Devin Williams is every bit as capable of doing that as Brandon Halverson, Ken Appleby, or Jake Smith.

Not debating what you're stating..just debating the grade. A B+ would indicate an above average trade deadline in which they addressed EVERY need to the best of their ability. That isn't even remotely true. A grade of a C- at best from me.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like Erie. I love their offence. I don't mind their defence. If Williams goes down, though, what happens? You really want a guy with three (3) regular season games before this year in your net? He could be great, as his numbers so far are very respectable, but that's risky if you're going for it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I like Erie. I love their offence. I don't mind their defence. If Williams goes down, though, what happens? You really want a guy with three (3) regular season games before this year in your net? He could be great, as his numbers so far are very respectable, but that's risky if you're going for it.

Trading for a backup goalie is a horrible use of assets. The team acquiring the backup goalie doesn't want to spend a lot and rightfully so. The team moving that goalie could be a starter on their team therefore wanting more in return and that makes very little sense for the buyer.

Fact is only 2 goalies were moved at the deadline. Paterson an OA who never even went to a contender and the other goalie was Cormier to Saginaw who was moved because North Bay was a big time buyer. If we are following your reasoning then Oshawa and North Bay are both in trouble if Appleby and Smith go down respectively.

If you're relying upon your backup goalie to win you a championship chances are you're already scared. You don't go into the deadline saying well I need to get a backup goalie if my #1 goes down. Why didn't Erie go out and get a star player in case McDavid goes down? The cost would be unreasonable and not many any sense. You can't prepare for the unknown. London had a great backup last year in Patterson and it didn't seem to matter when Stolarz was suspended, there were other injuries but if you're counting on your backup you're flirting with danger to begin with.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Why didn't Erie get a superstar if McDavid goes down? They have five other guys who are at a point-per-game, excluding McD.

"You can't prepare for the unknown."

- Yes you can. Depth. Erie went out and grabbed a couple of offensive guys in Baptiste and Elie. They could lose a guy or two up front and still be very potent offensively. The Sault went out and grabbed Ritchie and Bailey, so if a couple forwards go down, they can rely on those two. Oshawa grabbed Mistele, too.

As for London - they had two #1s at the start of the year. If Stolarz or Patteron goes down, they rely on the other one to be their starter.

Yes, teams make trades to acquire a legitimate back-up. While there weren't many this year (and that has been questioned on here), it's not an uncommon thing. I posted this before, but I'll repost it now...

Barrie 2004/2005 - Weber to Saginaw, LaCosta to Barrie
London 2004/2005 - McDonald to Guelph, Dennis to London (won title)
OS 2004/2005 - LaCosta out, Brown in.
Kitchener 2004/2005 - Turple in, DiRienzo out.

2005/2006:

Windsor - Guadagnolo in, Knechtel to OS.

2007/2008:

Belleville acquired veteran Parker Van Buskirk to join Mike Murphy in net to stabilize their net.

Kitchener brought in Steve Mason to back up Josh Unice, sending Mavric Parks out of town.

Sarnia brought in Perugini from Barrie to help Karhunen.

2008/2009:

Brampton brought in McCollum to join Kileen, dealing Foote to Guelph.

Windsor acquires Unice in that huge deal to back up Engelage.

2009/2010:

Windsor brings in Grubauer to help Passingham.

2010/2011:

Oshawa acquires DiSalvo to help Baillie, while Zador is shipped out.

2011/2012:

SSM acquires Jack Campbell from Windsor.

-- If you lost a forward or two to injury or suspension, chances are you have someone who's a capable replacement. Same with defenceman; most teams who are contenders don't have a one-two punch, and then nothing. If you have one goaltender, and a sketchy back-up, what happens if your #1 goes down? You need a back-up plan. It's not a waste of assets, but smart planning.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Some of those goalies were brought in to be #1's therefore costing a lot more in return. Please tell us why Oshawa, North Bay and Erie did not acquire backup goaltenders and the only one acquired was Paterson.

The 04/05 example really hurts your case 4 teams did it and only 1 team prevailed but once again some of those goalies were #1's.

Also I don't think these teams made acquisitions in case of injuries they did it to make their team better. If there are injuries naturally their team won't be as good.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes, SSM, Erie, and Oshawa didn't acquire goaltenders this year, and if you look around the boards, Erie has been criticized for it, as has SSM. There were plenty of people thinking Paterson was going to the Sault because of their inexperienced goaltending.

In 2004/2005, it doesn't matter if only one team prevailed. The others did it with the attempt to make a run for it. Only one team can win every year, but a lot still attempt.

Teams acquire depth to make their team better, but they also do it in case of injuries. It goes hand-in-hand. If Erie picked up Paterson, for instance, they made their team better and now have significant depth in net in case of injury.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes, SSM, Erie, and Oshawa didn't acquire goaltenders this year, and if you look around the boards, Erie has been criticized for it, as has SSM. There were plenty of people thinking Paterson was going to the Sault because of their inexperienced goaltending.

In 2004/2005, it doesn't matter if only one team prevailed. The others did it with the attempt to make a run for it. Only one team can win every year, but a lot still attempt.

Teams acquire depth to make their team better, but they also do it in case of injuries. It goes hand-in-hand. If Erie picked up Paterson, for instance, they made their team better and now have significant depth in net in case of injury.

If Erie acquired Paterson they would have needed to move one of their 3 OA D which would have meant having to make another move which doesn't make a lot of sense because it would leave them with 6 D. Do you think these things through? The only people saying Soo should have gone for Paterson were faux insiders and ones that weren't thinking things through.

So it doesn't matter in 04/05 if all these teams acquired goalies and it didn't pan out?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Okay, what if Erie picked up Fotinos? Not an OA and better than their current back-up. There were also multiple reports about Paterson going to SSM. The fact it didn't materialize was surprising.

No, it doesn't truly matter if they all pan out or not. The intent is to improve in order to get to the title. Only one team can win it, though. This year, Oshawa, NB, SSM, and Erie are all going for it. Doesn't mean they'll all win it.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
Cory Genovese was entirely replaceable, and Erie has 7 defenseman with Patrick Murphy.

Unlike the other goalies referenced, Williams has had a current injury situation to consider when debating the need for a veteran addition.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Good read as usual Brock. As for the Steelheads, Boyd can go any time now. Another trade deadline not utilized the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad