Speculation: Trade Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Couturier, Schenn, Schenn, Gus, Simmonds, Voracek and Giroux are all 26 or younger. Giroux being the oldest having just turned 26 on January 12th. Add in the Flyers 3 d prospects all 20 and under, some quality forward prospects 20 and under, the promising goalie who just turned 20 and you have a nice young roster. By the time most of those guys are ready to compete Giroux won't even be 30 years old. The Flyers just need to stay the course IMO, they'll be a good team in a few more years.

Btw, B Schenn won't be 23 until after this season is over, in August.

I agree. Now if we can tinker with the lineup I am fine with that. There is not a team in the league who is 100% satisfied with it's makeup. By the way I am fine with Streit, Grossmann, Timonen, Schenn, Meszaros,and Coburn as good solid NHL defenseman. It is up to the brass and coaching staff to add talent and set the pairs up to best serve the club. I really have to laugh when people sit at their desk and say that we can just give players away for nothing. I am glad that they are not the GM of the club cause we would be in the toilet for sure:laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Who's the 21 year old stud?

Couturier? Did I say to trade Couturier?

My comment is that Kesler is better than Richards and that if Kesler was acquired the team wouldn't be hurt by him. If this team falters its because of the D and not addressing it.

The team would be hurt in the long run because of what they have to give up. They have, realistically, several years before they're ready to compete because of the D situation. They're going to be trading younger pieces for an older piece, who will be declining by the time this team is probably ready.

Trading for Kesler makes no sense right now. We don't need to mess with the team to add him. #1 D is the most pressing need.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
They basically have to do a complete rebuild of the d and i see laughton and 2014 1st in play. They need to target young guys too. It is going to be crazy how bad our defense is going to be unless Holmgren is able to pull off some slick deals which he has been known to do. This team needs to stop getting band aids for the d and get some actual building blocks

Yup, I'd be looking at aquiring Vatanen (offensive minded) and Cowen (defensive guy with good 2 way potential).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not even going to be picky. I just want D-men who can skate. They don't need to be massively offensive. Just smart with the puck and able to get out of the way. Schenn & Grossman clog the zone. Grossman is just flat out horrible this year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm not even going to be picky. I just want D-men who can skate. They don't need to be massively offensive. Just smart with the puck and able to get out of the way. Schenn & Grossman clog the zone. Grossman is just flat out horrible this year.

sbisa fits that description. He is the guy i would target. Mobile young cheap and signed long term. Also can probably be had.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
sbisa fits that description. He is the guy i would target. Mobile young cheap and signed long term. Also can probably be had.

Apart from that he is pretty bad at this venture. And has a hockey IQ of a ADHD chipmunk on acid.

He has been a bottom pair D in all but 1 year, and that 1 year he was shielded to high heaven and was only a #4. His D is poor and he makes a lot of bad decisions.

All the tools... but he pissed on his tool box, poured petrol on it and strapped it to a catherine wheel and lit it while throwing raw fruit and faeces at it.

I love his tools, but I just cannot see him putting it together. That being said if they could get him uber cheap to play as a 5-6 it would not be bad... but we have Gus who would be half his price and better at this point tbh!

Last edited:

JayB

May 30, 2012
At the main board i wroted that we could use bottom pairing guys with mobility, physicality and good first pass. Sbisa, Smid, Petry, Cowen, Franson. What could two off them need to trade? Lets start with Grossman and Meszaros, maybe add some late picks.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Smid-Sbisa

Just for example.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apart from that he is pretty bad at this venture. And has a hockey IQ of a ADHD chipmunk on acid.

He has been a bottom pair D in all but 1 year, and that 1 year he was shielded to high heaven and was only a #4. His D is poor and he makes a lot of bad decisions.

All the tools... but he pissed on his tool box, poured petrol on it and strapped it to a catherine wheel and lit it while throwing raw fruit and faeces at it.

I love his tools, but I just cannot see him putting it together. That being said if they could get him uber cheap to play as a 5-6 it would not be bad... but we have Gus who would be half his price and better at this point tbh!

What an incredibly detailed and disturbing analysis. So... you're saying he could be our #1 then?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
At the main board i wroted that we could use bottom pairing guys with mobility, physicality and good first pass. Sbisa, Smid, Petry, Cowen, Franson. What could two off them need to trade? Lets start with Grossman and Meszaros, maybe add some late picks.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Smid-Sbisa

Just for example.

Why don't they just start Gus?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why don't they just start Gus?

Because Grossmann has been horrible, he can't just get away with that, could he? Gus needs to sit to send a message to the other players, bad play will not be tolerated and will be punished, even if you're not the one playing poorly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Rob Rossi says Pens/Flyers/Blackhawks are interested.

1 of these things do not belong.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Because Grossmann has been horrible, he can't just get away with that, could he? Gus needs to sit to send a message to the other players, bad play will not be tolerated and will be punished, even if you're not the one playing poorly.

That's right how dare Gus allow grossman to play that way, its all gus's fault, frankly im getting tired of the way Gus site in the press box allowing grossman to play so bad :sarcasm:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
As noted on twitter. Kesler to the Pens would mean he's the #3 Center or a winger.

Would he be happy at either?

Also, not sure how Pitt afford him, they have 1.195MM in deadline space, Kesler costs 5MM

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Couturier is the only forward in a long time who has been able to play right away; and in his case, only because he dropped below the top 3 where he was projected, that was a lot of luck. A cycle of endless trading to fill holes never leads to success. It's the opposite of consistency and responsible building.

I am just of mindset that developing defenseman takes longer.
Why hold onto all these potential star forwards if the defense is so putrid.
I think they need to spread our marginal talent around.
Timmo can not last forever, and Coburn cannot anchor the top line.
Its going to take years to ice a cup competitive team for sure either way.
But, with the state of this defense, they need to do more to fix it than wait
and pray that some of these prospects pan out.
They need at least a replacement for Timmo, so I am in favor of Erhoff or
Edler if they can be acquired without trading everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad