Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VIII - loud noises, a gasp, and a thud

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I want Zubrus back, but hopefully not for overpayment, or too many years. I think 2 years would be good at $2.5-$3 million each.

Poni though I'll tell you, I could take him or leave him. We'll see the last 11 games, but I'm not thinking we should go out of our way to sign him. 1 year at $1.5 million, or what he's making right now couldn't hurt though. Just cause we traded for him twice. Just give him bottom 6 minutes. I'm pretty sure unless the roster gets really depleted that Matteau will be in the AHL next year. One more year of Poni before Matteau is permanently brought up couldn't hurt.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I want Zubrus back, but hopefully not for overpayment, or too many years. I think 2 years would be good at $2.5-$3 million each.

Poni though I'll tell you, I could take him or leave him. We'll see the last 11 games, but I'm not thinking we should go out of our way to sign him. 1 year at $1.5 million, or what he's making right now couldn't hurt though. Just cause we traded for him twice. Just give him bottom 6 minutes. I'm pretty sure unless the roster gets really depleted that Matteau will be in the AHL next year. One more year of Poni before Matteau is permanently brought up couldn't hurt.

Poni won't be brought back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Poni won't be brought back.

If Lou goes the ''We didn't win, changes will be made'' route he won't be. Which Lou usually does, and that's one of the things that makes Lou a legendary GM. I forgot he was brought back before he scored the other night. Granted he was injured for a couple weeks, and he was put in a role bigger than what he's used to playing on the 1st line.

I see Lou bringing back Zubrus though. For the loyalty, and Matteau factors.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
If Lou goes the ''We didn't win, changes will be made'' route he won't be. Which Lou usually does, and that's one of the things that makes Lou a legendary GM. I forgot he was brought back before he scored the other night. Granted he was injured for a couple weeks, and he was put in a role bigger than what he's used to playing on the 1st line.

I see Lou bringing back Zubrus though. For the loyalty, and Matteau factors.

If this team does end up out of the playoffs, I could see Lou getting creative with some surprises and changes, but I could also see Lou rationalizing this year's struggles due to the inability to recover from the Parise departure, and the injuries to key guys at various times (Zubrus/Brodeur/Kovy). He does need to address the issues at forward and the age issue in some spots on the team. Goalie, I'm pretty stumped as to what he will do, although I have a pretty strong opinion on what he should do.

As for Zubrus, I think the fact that he has spent a good part of this season injured, plus the Cap going down will help. He seems to have liked it here, but, all it takes is one off the wall offer from a team that has the space and needs a veteran forward. We saw that with Lou and the Salvador deal, although I'm not sure if Lou would do that with every single guy. Lou may decide it's time to move on from a particular player if it suits the team better.

I don't know why, but I just don't see all three of Elias, Clarkson, Zubrus coming back. Can't put my finger on it really. Not saying it won't happen, but I just have this odd suspicion at least one of them gets a stupid offer and walks.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
If this team does end up out of the playoffs, I could see Lou getting creative with some surprises and changes, but I could also see Lou rationalizing this year's struggles due to the inability to recover from the Parise departure, and the injuries to key guys at various times (Zubrus/Brodeur/Kovy). He does need to address the issues at forward and the age issue in some spots on the team. Goalie, I'm pretty stumped as to what he will do, although I have a pretty strong opinion on what he should do.

As for Zubrus, I think the fact that he has spent a good part of this season injured, plus the Cap going down will help. He seems to have liked it here, but, all it takes is one off the wall offer from a team that has the space and needs a veteran forward. We saw that with Lou and the Salvador deal, although I'm not sure if Lou would do that with every single guy. Lou may decide it's time to move on from a particular player if it suits the team better.

I don't know why, but I just don't see all three of Elias, Clarkson, Zubrus coming back. Can't put my finger on it really. Not saying it won't happen, but I just have this odd suspicion at least one of them gets a stupid offer and walks.

Hope its Clarkson leaving

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hope its Clarkson leaving

I'd love him back, but he probably wouldn't wanna come back for the price I'd want him to come back at. I could see Lou cutting his losses on the draft pick, and declining to offer Poni a new contract. Not that the losses were a big deal. I think he'll want Zubrus back. Even if just to be a mentor to Matteau.

Poni is one of those guys who could be easier replaced by Matteau unlike someone like Parise or Sykora.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'd love him back, but he probably wouldn't wanna come back for the price I'd want him to come back at. I could see Lou cutting his losses on the draft pick, and declining to offer Poni a new contract. Not that the losses were a big deal. I think he'll want Zubrus back. Even if just to be a mentor to Matteau.

Poni is one of those guys who could be easier replaced by Matteau unlike someone like Parise or Sykora.

As long as Clarkson doesnt sign for 4 mil + im ok. But if we are to lose one of Clarkie/Elias/Zubie. I want it to be Clarkie

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

Clarkson is the one I could see leaving actually, despite how much stock we put in the whole love affair thing between him and Lou (although I've suspected it's more one-sided on Clarkson's end).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As long as Clarkson does sign for 4 mil + im ok. But if we are to lose one of Clarkie/Elias/Zubie. I want it to be Clarkie

I am too at this point. I was saying Zubes would be the smallest loss, but we've been horrible without him and Clarkson has been nowhere to be found. Zubes would cost less too than what Clarkson would want.

apice3*

I don't want to lose Clarkson. I want Clarkson to lose his refusal to pass.

He had a gorgeous pass last night that resulted in a crossbar snipe. He needs to create for others more often.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I wont shed a tear if Clarkson and Poni walk. They have both been part of the problem over these last 2 months of suckage. I've been really disappointed with Poni. Guy has just disappeared for the majority of the games. Clarkson... I feel like that topic has covered enough on here lol.

By the way Lou better not bungle Lokti's new contract since hes a UFA as well. I'd burn things if Lou ***** up and doesn't get him inked long term

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I wont shed a tear if Clarkson and Poni walk. They have both been part of the problem over these last 2 months of suckage. I've been really disappointed with Poni. Guy has just disappeared for the majority of the games. Clarkson... I feel like that topic has covered enough on here lol.

By the way Lou better not bungle Lokti's new contract since hes a UFA as well. I'd burn things if Lou ***** up and doesn't get him inked long term

Lokti is an RFA not UFA

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Lokti is an RFA not UFA

Ah my bad. Still really need to get that worked out though. Guy has been one of our most consistent players since the trade. I wonder what Henrique gets as well since hes an RFA. Hes been pretty disappointing as well like most of our forwards. Only 4 assists in 31 games is a tad bit concerning for a center and top a 6 player. Hopefully its just the sophomore slump rearing its ugly head.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique has been good this year, but just inconsistent. He's went on two tears, and two slumps in between. He's still in that second slump right now.

apice3*

Poni isn't the problem. He's playing a role that he should be given.

Our lines going forward, when healthy, are actually really solid. Dags, Henrique, and Loki have some really good chemistry. I think they can carry a 2nd line, which allows Elias to play with Kovy.

Elias - Zajac - Kovy
Henrique - Loki - Dags
Poni - Zubrus - Clarkson
CBGB

Sullivan can rotate in and out with Poni, Dags, and Gionta. Carter can move to center if Gionta is out. We have a very versatile, and surprisingly solid team if Kovy can come back soon.

apice3*

Henrique has been good this year, but just inconsistent. He's went on two tears, and two slumps in between. He's still in that second slump right now.

Which mean his tear is going to come at a crucial time.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I really want Poni back next year, I don't understand the flack he's getting. Well, I guess I do since being from Toronto, I heard the exact same thing when he was on the Leafs. Unfortunately the Devils are doing the same thing the Leafs did which made Poni so hated, which was play him in a role that he shouldn't be in. He is damn good 3rd liner, great on the forecheck and can cycle the puck excellently. He is not a 1st liner Petey has tried to play him as this year, no matter how much he tried to mesh him with Kovy it doesn't work like that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Poni hasn't been a problem, he's just one guy I can without if we don't re sign all of our UFA's. Basically I could take him or leave him. Sign him to another year contract, and play him 3rd line minutes. He'll be a lot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad