Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VIII: Kesler!? Callahan!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kesler would be a huge gain for our 3rd line, without doubt. But as others have said, it doesn't matter who the center is, if the wingers are Glass and Kobasew, who Byslma will put there, it won't be good. Kesler with Crosby would probably be our best bet.

I purposed a Megna, Kesler, and Hemsky line.

penguins2946*

What?

Crosby
Malkin
Letang
Staal(traded)
Maatta
Bennett

Would you like to trade the two sides?

Crosby and Malkin were obvious picks. Staal didn't turn out as good as others around him did. Bennett has been too injury prone to call him a good 1st round pick. I do agree on Maatta and Letang though, both were fantastic picks.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Pens have won a Stanley Cup recently and appeared in another Final but the St Louie Franchise hasn't seen those lofty heights since Bobby Orr was flying through the air. I know you're frustrated but until they win something St Louis is just moving pieces around the board. By the way, I'll take Maatta over anything St Louis has gotten out of the draft recently.;)

*slow-clap*

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
What?

Crosby
Malkin
Letang
Staal(traded)
Maatta
Bennett

Seriously dude, are you on 'ludes?

The first 3 guys you mentioned are Patrick's draft picks.

Granted, Maatta is awesome, but as much as I love Bennett, we have no idea about him yet. He has like 5 NHL goals and is really good at getting hurt.

Oh, and Toews could have been taken over Staal.

You want to know why you and your buddy are getting ripped? It's because you have no clue what you're talking about.

penguins2946*

I purposed a Megna, Kesler, and Hemsky line.

And I pursued a Jokinen-Kesler-Gibbons line. That doesn't change the fact that Bylsma will play Kobasew and Glass there. Go back and read the argument from like 6 pages ago. Everything you said, I said as well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Granted, Maatta is awesome, but as much as I love Bennett, we have no idea about him yet. He has like 5 NHL and is really good at getting hurt.

You want to know why you and your buddy are getting ripped? It's because you have no clue what you're talking about.

Wish I had a lude for this trade deadline

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rumors of Sutter, Pouloit and maybe more ring a bell?

Our top six is one player away from respectable, and our bottom six is 3 players away.

I don't think Sid's RW is that pressing as the bottom six. That's just me, though. The injuries have messed the plan up.

what does this have to do with anything at all that I have said?

penguins2946*

Wish I had a lude for this trade deadline

I'm going to wait a few days before I become depressed. There is still like 5 days until the deadline. I'm just hoping that Shero's "I am not close on any deals" he said on NHL Network was a lie.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
What?

Crosby
Malkin
Letang
Staal(traded)
Maatta
Bennett

Crosby and Malkin were gimme picks. Staal was probably the wrong choice over Toews and kessel. We moved up for Fleury in the deepest draft ever then drafted Ryan Stone in the 2nd round over Eriksson Bergeron weber and backes(mentioned above). Letang and Maatta were great picks, to bad they come few and far between when we are not picking 1st or 2nd overall.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A lot of what Moulson does is on the PP. I mean I like him, but he's yet another guy who doesn't do much of anything until he scores. He won't find himself on the first unit, so exactly what use is he going to have exactly?

Let's just face it. There aren't going to be any moves done. Signing Scuderi and keeping Orpik made certain of that.

Even if they make some kind of move, it won't make a difference. This team needs about 3 moves, THEN those moves have to be properly utilized.

We're asking for a lot here.

Eyes on your own paper. I said that two pages ago. :p:

It's all your fault, really. I was drinking the kool aid, blissfully ignorant about Ray Shero, until you suggested that I really look at his tenure. :cry:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Granted, Maatta is awesome, but as much as I love Bennett, we have no idea about him yet. He has like 5 NHL goals and is really good at getting hurt.

I know plenty, if you guys want to be in those shoes, please....go be a fricken Blues fan....

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
The problem with the idea of upgrading the bottom-six is who sits? Adams-Vitale-Glass will be the 4th line come hell or high-water. It'll take a do-or-die situation like almost losing to the Isle in the playoffs to switch it up. Sutter is going to be the 3C. Basically leaves an upgrade being a 3rd-line wing. I don't see Megna or Gibbons being trusted in that spot come playoff time, so the answer is probably outside of the organization in DB and Shero's mind. If Bennett is healthy and the team acquires a real winger to play with Crosby, the situation is much easier to correct but those are two situations, trading for a good winger for Sid and Bennett not being hurt, that aren't likely to happen at the same time.

So real talk, what 3rd-line wings are available?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The problem with the idea of upgrading the bottom-six is who sits? Adams-Vitale-Glass will be the 4th line come hell or high-water. It'll take a do-or-die situation like almost losing to the Isle in the playoffs to switch it up. Sutter is going to be the 3C. Basically leaves an upgrade being a 3rd-line wing. I don't see Megna or Gibbons being trusted in that spot come playoff time, so the answer is probably outside of the organization in DB and Shero's mind.

So real talk, what 3rd-line wings are available?

Chuck Kobasew and Tanner Glass. Done and Done.

Michael8771*

you proposed Gibbons on the first line. There's your problem. You could make an argument for Kesler on the third. Bringing in Hemsky to play in the bottom 6 is pure idiocy.
We finally agree on something.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I know plenty, if you guys want to be in those shoes, please....go be a fricken Blues fan....

As it stands today, right now? If you think we're anything close to the Blues because you're blinded by having Sid and Geno, then I don't know what to tell you.

Pens would be eaten alive in a 7 game series by that team. BTW, they don't exactly spend up to the cap either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Could've had Lucic (even Kulemin) over Sneep in round 2 in 2006 and Marchand over Strait in round 3.

It's kind of tough doing this 'what if' thing, because you can do it for anyone.

That said, anyone who thinks Ray Shero has been some godsend at the draft table needs only to consider this:

What the Pens are going to have to show for 8 Ray Shero led drafts when the playoffs open are Brandon Sutter and Olli Maatta (maybe Bennett is his wrist heals before I'm dead, maybe whatever rentals Shero trades Despres or picks for).

Every other Penguin taking the ice will have been a Craig Patrick pick, acquired for a Craig Patrick pick, a free agent acquisition, an undrafted player, or a waiver pickup.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And I pursued a Jokinen-Kesler-Gibbons line. That doesn't change the fact that Bylsma will play Kobasew and Glass there. Go back and read the argument from like 6 pages ago. Everything you said, I said as well.

If the pens get Kesler there not going to play him with Glass and Kobasew, there will be atleast one more move to get another winger to play with Kesler.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
As it stands today, right now? If you think we're anything close to the Blues because you're blinded by having Sid and Geno, then I don't know what to tell you.

Pens would be eaten alive in a 7 game series by that team. BTW, they don't exactly spend up to the cap either.

They were this year.

There's not one player on that team I'd even remotely switch our position for. We were in their position 5/6 years ago. With better players.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes, and what does the 3rd line look like?

Kesler or Hemsky on an island.

I don't think trading our only good 3rd liner and our only good young cheap forward for a new 3rd line center is the way to go. We need to be adding quanity to our top 9 forwards, not just quality. Assuming Bennett gets healthy, we have 7 guys on the roster capable of playing in the top 9. Bennett and Sutter for Kesler drops that down to 6, even if its an upgrade in one of the spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad