Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VII | T-Minus 7 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Please keep rumors/proposals in this thread for now. We'll get started with IC's doctrine from the previous thread.

---------------------------

Last year, as we approached the trade deadline (in our pursuit of Iginla) I created a post discussing the "regrettability" factor in trading any of the Penguins players.

Basically, "how much would/could we regret this in the future." I'm doing it again this year but combining it with a topic that's been pretty "hot" the past few weeks: untouchable players. This is obviously speculative on our part, since we can't know exactly what the organization is thinking, but ... who cares!

Regrettable Scale: 1 (Craig Adams) - 10 (James Neal)

The untouchables

1. Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin (1000000) - Both untouchable, neither will be traded, both would make you regret it in the morning.

2. James Neal (10) - There are few wingers in the league better than James Neal, and maybe none better for Evgeni Malkin's RW. He's a 40-goal scorer and a PPG player who has not only shown a remarkable scoring touch and chemistry with Malkin, but has taken the next step in improving his grit and physicality.

Not Untouchable, but pretty darn close

3. Olli Maatta - (9) Already in the NHL at age 19, the kid has the physical tools and hockey IQ that could see him playing top-pairing minutes in the not-so-distant future. His age, skill set and contract combine to make him one of the most-valuable assets in the organization, and not one they will be in a hurry to move.

4. Kris Letang - (8.5) One of the most physically gifted players in the NHL, Letang's issues - if there are any - are between the ears. One of the most polarizing players among fans, Letang has the ability to turn defense into offense as fast as anyone in the league. While the Pens are rich in defensive prospects, they don't have anyone like Letang waiting in the wings.

A big part in his ranking is his regrettability score. If Letang were to be traded to another team and that team was able to reign him in, turning him into a 60pt d-man who can bring a consistent defensive game and physical edge? It would be worse than any fleecing Shero has pulled off.

5. Paul Martin (8) - While not as flashy as Letang, many would argue that Martin is the Penguins' best defenseman. A steady player who can play 25-minutes+ a game while shutting down the opposition's top lines AND providing a calming presence on the top PP unit, Martin went from whipping boy to underpaid in just over a season.

Martin's regrettability score is not based in the fact that he would move on to become a better player, but simply the fact that he is one of the Penguins' best, and losing him would leave a gigantic hole on the back-end.

6. Chris Kunitz (8) - Similar to Martin- Kunitz's RS is based on the hole he'd leave on the roster if the Penguins were to move him. At 34 he's likely about to hit a downturn in performance, but for now, he's likely the "Crosby's Neal" everyone has been pining for.

7. Beau Bennett (8) - Perhaps an awkward inclusion for some, Bennett's inability to stay on the ice has tarnished him in the eyes of some Penguins fans.

When healthy, Bennett has proven that he can not only play the RW with Crosby or the LW with Malkin, but look like he belongs while doing it. His smarts, responsible play and grittiness make him effective on any line, but his hockey IQ and creativity make him a perfect, much-needed match for the two superstar centers.

Moving Bennett would be filling one hole and creating another.

8. Derrick Pouliot (8) - Pouliot showed why the Penguins drafted him so high at the WJC, where he was Canada's best player over the course of the tournament.

PPQB, smart, good decision making, a good shot, and not an abject failure in his own end, Pouliot will bring something to the Penguins back end that they haven't had since Sergai Gonchar ole'd his way to Ottawa.

9. Scott Harrington (8) - Smart, great awareness, good skating, good along the boards. Harrington will likely never light the world on fire, but he should be the perfect replacement for Rob Scuderi down the road.

Touchable, but only for the right price

10. Simon Despres (8) - big, strong, physical, good skater. Whatever. My love for Despres is well-documented. I'd have him in the previous tier, but I don't think the Penguins feel the same way, and I'm trying to keep this fair/"honest."

11. Brandon Sutter (6) - As with Neal, Kunitz, Bennett - Sutter has good value and would likely be coveted by more than one team, but moving him for a winger would only create another hole at 3C. Some would argue that's a fair trade, but it's likely one that Ray Shero isn't interested in pursuing. I don't have Sutter's RS as high, simply because I think he is what he is: a good 3rd-line center. I don't think there's any untapped potential there. The team DOES need to help him out with better wingers, though.

12. Brian Dumoulin (8) - So I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen from Dumoulin, but the team and many observers have been. He's big (6'3, 200lbs) and a good skater. He doesn't have a mean streak (though I'm sure he could develop) and the team trusts him on the PK and the PP. This score and position is a mix of my thoughts (i'd have him lower) and the team's thoughts (they'd likely have him higher).

13. Matt Niskanen (6) - A throwaway before the season, Niskanen has shown that, while he shouldn't be counted on to be a consistent top-4 guy, he's able to occasionally flash a brilliant performance. I have his RS this high because while moving him would allow someone I want to see play (Bortuzzo) to get into the lineup, Niskanen provides nice depth in the even of injuries to Martin and Letang. He's able to step up on the PP, he's not soft, and he can move the puck.

The biggest questions around Niskanen will be answered in the playoffs.

14. Brooks Orpik (4) - a veteran leader and a physical presence, Bruce has been a fixture on the Penguins back end since before the league was founded. To many, Orpik seems to be on the tail end of his career (and falling rapidly), but it's clear that the team (and others around the league) still hold him in high regard. Moving him would likely open up the spot for a cheaper, younger, better player, and I don't see him going on to anothert team and making a huge difference, but ... okay.

15. Robert Bortuzzo (6) - Bort will never put up big offensive numbers, but he is big, physical, and has a lovely mean streak. That, combined with his skating ability, make him ideal to be the eventual replacement for someone like Brooks Orpik. Given his age and contract status, I think losing Bort would likely be more regrettable than losing someone like Orpik. I also think Bortuzzo can continue to get better with playing time.

Touch, PLEASE!!!!

16. Jussi Jokinen (5) - A consistent player who provided some much-needed offense leading up to the playoffs in 2012, Jokinen has been a perfectly acceptable player on the Penguins roster. But he's a soon-to-be UFA who won't get a sniff on Crosby's line, isn't ideal for Malkin's line and doesn't have enough grit for Sutter's line, so the Penguins will likely move on from him in the off-season rather than pay him $3MM to be an awkward fit on a roster in need of some tweaking. I'm not sure Jokinen has much value to begin with, but if the right deal came along, I'm sure the Pens would pursue it.

17. Tanner Glass, Craig Adams (-10) - **** off

Not mentioned:

Marc-Andre Fleury (???) - He has value, but the Penguins cannot move him. Maybe they look to Ryan Miller in the off-season, but for the rest of this season, Fleury's presence on the roster is as necessary as anyone's.

Rob Scuderi (5) - I didn't want Scuderi brought in in the first place, and I don't think, to-date, he's proven me wrong, but he (along with the rest of the defense) has been injured for much of the season, so what I'll say is this: the Penguins just signed him. They aren't trading him.

The Goalie Prospects (???) - I don't know much about them, because they aren't biscuit-minded goal scorer things, so I don't pay attention, but the team made a concerted effort to improve organizational depth at G. They aren't going to move it now.

JOE VICTORY (1,000,000,000,000,000) - No point in moving him, really. And unlike years past, Vitale has earned Bylsma's trust, centering the 4th line, getting time at 1RW, playing on the 3rd line, etc... He's cheap, he's great at face-offs, and he's a ball of energy. Perfect 4th liner.

Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sill, Zolnierczyk - The Pens AHL depth has been vital to their successes this year. They likely don't have a lot of value league-wide, so it would be prudent to keep them around (especially Gibbons and Megna) to see just how high their ceilings can go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We'll see what happens. But I definitely would not put either of Maatta or Nisky with Orpik. Maybe Maatta can cover up for him, but I wouldn't want him doing that. With Letang out, you need guys jumping in the play. Nisky has never looked good with Orpik.

Promote Despres, pair him with Scuds. Have Engelland or Bort fill in for Martin with Orpik. And keep Maatta with Nisky. Spread the ice time out.

If Despres is playing, you can at least justify keeping Nisky and Maatta together a little bit.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Despres is playing, you can at least justify keeping Nisky and Maatta together a little bit.

I have zero faith in Orpik at this point. He was awful today. And costed the US their only goal against in the Canada game. Do not want any of our young guys paired with him. The pairing will be ****, and the young guy will be blamed.

Let Olli build on what he did in the Olympics and keep him with Nisky. Who's having a career year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have zero faith in Orpik at this point. He was awful today. And costed the US their only goal against in the Canada game. Do not want any of our young guys paired with him. The pairing will be ****, and the young guy will be blamed.

Let Olli build on what he did in the Olympics and keep him with Nisky. Who's having a career year.

I don't disagree with that. But if Orpik is going to be leading the defense in ice time (which I believe he will be) I want him to have a partner who can carry the puck. If it was up to me, Orpik and Bortuzzo would be our 3rd pairing getting the least ice time by a pretty wide margin. I'd play Maatta - Niskanen and Despres - Scuderi as our top 2 pairings.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If Letang and Martin are out long term (and I believe they will be - probably 4 weeks each left for both, at best) and Despres isn't in the NHL when the league restarts, just trade him for some forward help. Seriously, if you're going to go with Engelland and Bortuzzo for 15-20 minutes a night over him, then just hope he has enough value to get a 3rd liner.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is anyone 100% sure how much cap space the pens have?

There are so many things that go into it like prorated cap hits, i'd like to know how much they have assuming TV is coming back.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't disagree with that. But if Orpik is going to be leading the defense in ice time (which I believe he will be) I want him to have a partner who can carry the puck. If it was up to me, Orpik and Bortuzzo would be our 3rd pairing getting the least ice time by a pretty wide margin. I'd play Maatta - Niskanen and Despres - Scuderi as our top 2 pairings.

That's how I'd do it. Orpik-Bort wasn't actively hurting us as a pairing in the limited time they had. I'd love to see Scuds with Despres. And keep Maatta going with his regular partner. If Letang's done for the season, which is very possible, we're going to need Maatta playing at a high level in the playoffs. Screw putting him with Orpik.

penguins2946*

I was wondering something. How often do seller teams add to get good prospects? I got the idea from Oilers fans saying Hemsky+ for Despres, but I can't remember a time that has ever happened other than the Morrow trade.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Is anyone 100% sure how much cap space the pens have?

There are so many things that go into it like prorated cap hits, i'd like to know how much they have assuming TV is coming back.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Chuck Kobasew ($0.550m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Chris Conner ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.538m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
LTIR
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-02-22)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $585,000

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's how I'd do it. Orpik-Bort wasn't actively hurting us as a pairing in the limited time they had. I'd love to see Scuds with Despres. And keep Maatta going with his regular partner. If Letang's done for the season, which is very possible, we're going to need Maatta playing at a high level in the playoffs. Screw putting him with Orpik.

But that's not what we'll do. Whoever is playing with Orpik will be our top defensive pairing going against the opponent's best players. There's no way Bortuzzo gets the kind of minutes or matchups Orpik gets, and it needs to be someone who can play right D. He'll either be playing with Niskanen, Scuderi or Engelland.

So I agree with you in theory, but the way Orpik will be used is not the same way either of us want.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Another trade this year for a defenseman UFA rental? Oh I sure hope so!!

Hal Gill, Douglas Murray.. which immobile veteran presence is available ths year?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens are planning on keeping Nisky and Maatta together in the playoffs they should keep them together now, let those guys keep on developing great chemistry together.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Chuck Kobasew ($0.550m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Chris Conner ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.538m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
LTIR
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-02-22)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $585,000

is the 585K prorated? would they be able to add a player for about a 2.3 million cap hit?

penguins2946*

I want the Pens to just play Despres on the right side, even if he struggles at first. He would have much more value to us as a RD than a left D, seeing how Maatta and Pouliot will be our top-4 LD. Despres would also complement Pouliot's game well. Also, it's not like these games matter at this point. We're basically guaranteed a playoff spot, so why not try out some new things? Who knows, maybe Despres makes Martin expendable.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But that's not what we'll do. Whoever is playing with Orpik will be our top defensive pairing going against the opponent's best players. There's no way Bortuzzo gets the kind of minutes or matchups Orpik gets, and it needs to be someone who can play right D. He'll either be playing with Niskanen, Scuderi or Engelland.

So I agree with you in theory, but the way Orpik will be used is not the same way either of us want.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Bort and Engelland have played often with Orpik this year with all the injuries. They had Despres with him as well. Very rarely were Maatta/Nisky broken up.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I want the Pens to just play Despres on the right side, even if he struggles at first. He would have much more value to us as a RD than a left D, seeing how Maatta and Pouliot will be our top-4 LD. Despres would also complement Pouliot's game well. Also, it's not like these games matter at this point. We're basically guaranteed a playoff spot, so why not try out some new things? Who knows, maybe Despres makes Martin expendable.

Oh...noooo, I don't think we should trade Martin...Despres doesn't play the PP, Martin does, why take away one of out top dmen for a gamble.

Maatta-Martin
Despres-Letang

that is a pretty good top 4...

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's 585k in real space to my knowledge. It's the player's contract you're bringing in that's pro rated.

If the pens would bring in another player right now with a 2 million dollar cap hit they would only have to pay him about 500K right now since about 3 quarters of the season is over.

If the pens can only bring in a player with a salary of 585k then they can't trade for anybody unless there trading away players from the active roster, if this was the case i would think somebody in the media would mention this.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure what to tell you. Bort and Engelland have played often with Orpik this year with all the injuries. They had Despres with him as well. Very rarely were Maatta/Nisky broken up.

what I'm saying is that any plan that involves Orpik playing without someone to help him in the transition game is a bad plan. It was a bad plan earlier in the season and its likely going to be a bad plan now. Despres being played on the right side with him is maybe the best option. If I didn't expect Orpik to play so many minutes, I wouldn't be as worried about the situation.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh...noooo, I don't think we should trade Martin...Despres doesn't play the PP, Martin does, why take away one of out top dmen for a gamble.

Maatta-Martin
Despres-Letang

I don't think he means right now. I think he means after next year when his contract is up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the pens would bring in another player right now with a 2 million dollar cap hit they would only have to pay him about 500K right now since about 3 quarters of the season is over.

If the pens can only bring in a player with a salary of 585k then they can't trade for anybody unless there trading away players from the active roster, if this was the case i would think somebody in the media would mention this.

I take back my previous statement. We can only add a 585k salary with Vokoun reactivated. We're using Dupes' LTIR. Not the same thing as having 585k in space at the beginning of the year and being able to use it to pick up a player with a 2+ mil caphit later in the season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
what I'm saying is that any plan that involves Orpik playing without someone to help him in the transition game is a bad plan. It was a bad plan earlier in the season and its likely going to be a bad plan now. Despres being played on the right side with him is maybe the best option. If I didn't expect Orpik to play so many minutes, I wouldn't be as worried about the situation.

Would you rather screw up our only legit pairing at the moment so Orpik becomes a bit less ******. When he's already hot garbage?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't think he means right now. I think he means after next year when his contract is up.

Oh...than of course, because Pouliot and Harrington are likely to be stepping in, if not both, than at least one of them

penguins2946*

Maatta-Martin
Despres-Letang

Yes what Ogre said is what I meant. Trading Martin would be beyond stupid, but if Despres can do what he can do for 1/5 of the cost, then why re-sign Martin? Let him play the right for now. If he excels, play him in Martin's spot when Martin leaves and Orpik's spot until Martin leaves (after this year). Right now is probably the best shot of us seeing how Despres on the right side would look.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would you rather screw up our only legit pairing at the moment so Orpik becomes a bit less ******. When he's already hot garbage?

My ideal healthy line-up would have Maatta and Niskanen split up, so I guess the answer to this is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad