GDT: Trade Deadline Day

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Freidman talks about Sheahan in his 30 thoughts column. Maybe about 10 teams were interested and he's either guessing or he's got a back channel somewhere that the interest made the Wings second guess moving him. I have a hard time believing the Wings don't think they have a good peg on what Sheahan is and isn't, but if so...what are they watching?

He also mentions NYI and LA had interest in Vanek but opted not to pursue. LA settled for Iginla instead. Hard to believe that there was so little interest in Vanek, but teams must just not like him at all.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Freidman talks about Sheahan in his 30 thoughts column. Maybe about 10 teams were interested and he's either guessing or he's got a back channel somewhere that the interest made the Wings second guess moving him. I have a hard time believing the Wings don't think they have a good peg on what Sheahan is and isn't, but if so...what are they watching?

He also mentions NYI and LA had interest in Vanek but opted not to pursue. LA settled for Iginla instead. Hard to believe that there was so little interest in Vanek, but teams must just not like him at all.

Iginla or Vanek? Maybe the price was the reason, but I'd take Vanek all day.

Sheahan not being moved is interesting. Maybe this deadline hesitation will make Vegas select him. If not, maybe try to move him at the draft.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Iginla or Vanek? Maybe the price was the reason, but I'd take Vanek all day.

Sheahan not being moved is interesting. Maybe this deadline hesitation will make Vegas select him. If not, maybe try to move him at the draft.

I'd have taken Vanek, too. Hard to believe it was the price, considering what he went for. LA has to be hoping Iginla goes nuts for once last shot at a cup.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd have taken Vanek, too. Hard to believe it was the price, considering what he went for. LA has to be hoping Iginla goes nuts for once last shot at a cup.

Because of overall team speed I didn't like Vanek or Iginla. Vanek was a much better choice. However, Sutter got good things out of Vinny last year and he obviously knows Iginla well. I think it was the wrong choice, that lineup needed speed and goal scoring touch.

Time will tell. The odds of us signing Vanek seem to have gone up this summer though. We found up the rest of the league doesn't value him, he might find that to be true again come July 1st.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Because of overall team speed I didn't like Vanek or Iginla. Vanek was a much better choice. However, Sutter got good things out of Vinny last year and he obviously knows Iginla well. I think it was the wrong choice, that lineup needed speed and goal scoring touch.

Time will tell. The odds of us signing Vanek seem to have gone up this summer though. We found up the rest of the league doesn't value him, he might find that to be true again come July 1st.

They have to make the best of imperfect answers. I just don't trust Iginla to have it in him for another sustained playoff push. Maybe they didn't want to spend the assets because they aren't sure they'll make the playoffs, but Vrbata really seems like a guy who would have helped them. What they weren't willing to spend might say something about how likely they think they make the playoffs.

I think us circling around the Vanek got more likely, too. This summer could be interesting, but not in a way a lot of folks will like.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Red wings will lose Green to expansion draft when they could of got a 1st round pick for him at the deadline. Bad asset management

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Red wings will lose Green to expansion draft when they could of got a 1st round pick for him at the deadline. Bad asset management

They're not losing Green to the ED. He's definitely one of the 3D to protect.

And even if they did, who's to say what he would have returned? Vanes was supposed to bring back a first and he got a third and a piece of garbage prospect.

Hell Shattenkirk 39% retained got a 1st a second and a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00