GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Boy blunder signed Mrazek and Ritchie and we quickly needed to get out of those.

He signed Graves and Jarry in Pittsburgh.

Most GMs sign bad deals on July 1st.

We also were constantly bargain bin hunting with Dubas, couldn't get good depth.

Treliving went what?

2/4 for the big ones?

Domi, Bertuzzi win
Klingberg and Reaves bust

Depth guys in Benoit, Jones and Laggesson were nice.

Trust me, I wasn't exactly a fan of a lot of stuff Dubas did either

We just can't afford mistakes with term attached to them, that's how you screw yourself long term

I'd like to bring Domi back, then get 2 defenseman but those will be expensive and long term, they scare the hell out of me if we're wrong

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I've been flip flopping a little bit but I think this is the offseason to extend Lilly long term. He's 24 years old and we can probably expect his peak to be ages 25-31 which we should take advantage of. He has under 200 games played and simply doesn't have the reps yet at the NHL but has a ton of the tools. A lot of the mistakes are decision-based and not from a lack of talent. Those mental blunders are inexperience and we've already taken our lumps from that. Unless we're trading him for another promising RD (yeah right), extend him with term. We can reasonably buy low at the same time

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

We just can't afford mistakes with term attached to them, that's how you screw yourself long term

I'd like to bring Domi back, then get 2 defenseman but those will be expensive and long term, they scare the hell out of me if we're wrong
They can't afford any bad long-term $5-$6 million contracts. That's where a long-term deal to Bertuzzi could be a dicey proposition.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Why does Bertuzzi get 5-6M on his next contract? He’s been a half point per game player with a permanent spot in the top 6. The most I’d give him is 4M and that would make me uncomfortable.
Someone will pay him more than 4M. Doesn’t mean we gotta, but I think someone would take a 1yr on him again.

That being said. I’d probably come in with a few yrs at the lower cap hit - and hope he was happy here.

3x4.4 or something. Who knows though. He’s a good playoffs away from being a sought after winger that a random team likely throws a dumb number at.

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I did not say I was not worried about Dubas with capspace.:laugh:

Reaves out of the gate with that many years seemed completely unnecessary.

Was Kampf not extended under Trev? Or I am misremembering?

Yep, he extended Kampf.

Looks like a bit of an overpay, probably worth more than the 1.5 we paid him, maybe 1.75M, not 2.4M

650k overpayment shouldn't break you.

Domi I feel like the $3M salary is probably right for him taking into account he has defensive warts. He's never gotten term before, maybe 3x3 would work? He finally gets some term.

Defenseman will be tougher, Parayko? Lottta term. Roy? Sure but caught a Kings game the other night, he's not perfect. Tanev? Yeah for a year.

You definitely need to get 2.

Depth up front? We need some guys that can PK. Our PK blows this year.

Reactions: Kiwi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yep, he extended Kampf.

Looks like a bit of an overpay, probably worth more than the 1.5 we paid him, maybe 1.75M, not 2.4M

Domi I feel like the $3M salary is probably right for him taking into account he has defensive warts. He's never gotten term before, maybe 3x3 would work? He finally gets some term.

Defenseman will be tougher, Parayko? Lottta term. Roy? Sure but caught a Kings game the other night, he's not perfect. Tanev? Yeah for a year.

The thing with Kampf is paying him the absolute high end of 4th line money to be your key shutdown guy in the bottom-6 but then completely neglecting getting him wingers that work with him. The overpayment in a vacuum isn’t that egregious if you’re giving him a Engvall/Mikheyev types to work with as a dedicated shutdown line to take some weight off the big lines. The 4th lines we’ve seen most of the season lack identity and purpose, at that point you could replace him with a generic 4C UFA for a mil with no real change in performance since their job is basically to tread water while Matthews catches his breath.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Yep, he extended Kampf.

I think there are more important roles to fill on the team then a winger like Domi. I get he can play center in a pinch but imo 2 top 4 Dmen + 3rd line center + Goalie to go with Woll are the 4 main pieces needed to acquire this summer. from there you can add a someone like Domi if we still have the cap room. but with the likes of Robertson/McMann/Cowan/Holmberg/Knies that role can be filled internally if we can't do so because of cap. or if we need a depth scorer there's the trade deadline that you can add there aswell.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The thing with Kampf is paying him the absolute high end of 4th line money to be your key shutdown guy in the bottom-6 but then completely neglecting getting him wingers that work with him. The overpayment in a vacuum isn’t that egregious if you’re giving him a Engvall/Mikheyev types to work with as a dedicated shutdown line to take some weight off the big lines. The 4th lines we’ve seen most of the season lack identity and purpose, at that point you could replace him with a generic 4C UFA for a mil with no real change in performance since their job is basically to tread water while Matthews catches his breath.

I think Kampf needs some guys for zone exits/entries, fast guys that can transport the puck. I understand the theory with Gregor but his IQ isn't as high as Kerfoot or Engvall's.

I think there are more important roles to fill on the team then a winger like Domi. I get he can play center in a pinch but imo 2 top 4 Dmen + 3rd line center + Goalie to go with Woll are the 4 main pieces needed to acquire this summer. from there you can add a someone like Domi if we still have the cap room. but with the likes of Robertson/McMann/Cowan/Holmberg/Knies that role can be filled internally if we can't do so because of cap. or if we need a depth scorer there's the trade deadline that you can add there aswell.

This would probably be my rough skeleton as of now, if Liljegren sucks in the playoffs, he's on the chopping block.

Robertson won't be back.

Kampf, Timmins move onward

Edmundson I keep, he's miserable to play against.

Top target for goaltending is probably Stolarz for me at this point.

You could demote Reaves if necessary to gain another 1.15M in cap space.

1711568796737.png

1711568820634.png

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I love how he plays but I'd want to see his medical, if he's fit hell yeah but I do remember something about his health that was concerning longer term
His back.

If you’re like me, you’re surprised that he’s still just 30.

Reactions: Kiwi

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think Kampf needs some guys for zone exits/entries, fast guys that can transport the puck. I understand the theory with Gregor but his IQ isn't as high as Kerfoot or Engvall's.

This would probably be my rough skeleton as of now, if Liljegren sucks in the playoffs, he's on the chopping block.

Robertson won't be back.

Kampf, Timmins move onward

Edmundson I keep, he's miserable to play against.

Top target for goaltending is probably Stolarz for me at this point.

You could demote Reaves if necessary to gain another 1.15M in cap space.

View attachment 842345
View attachment 842346
below is basically our makeup with only re-signing our RFA;s Dewar and Robertson signing there QO's and Benoit to 900k and Liljegren to 3 million per. and waiving Reaves.

capfriendly.jpg

from there I would look for some cheap goalie options. would get 2 goalies options include Murray, Nedlejkovic, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Copley, Wedgewood so that they can fight for the backup role. I will caveat this by saying I believe in Woll and would consider extending him this summer to a 3 year deal around 2.5 if they were willing to.

I would look to acquire a top 4 Dmen going into the final year of his deal, so we could extend him but get a cheaper cap hit next season, some examples would be guys like Larsson/Provorov/Ekblad/Dobson/Theodore and sign one in the UFA market if there's some good options. the trade route will probably cost us one or two of our Depth options like Timmins/Robertson etc. and we can also pay for retention to make the cap work.

then find the best possible 3C for whatever money we have left over. this third line center tho needs to be good in his own zone and on the PK

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Think we have to move a few of the 11mil+ guys. All the mock rosters I am seeing with those guys still here are pretty crap and won't get close to sniffing a cup.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yep, he extended Kampf.

I'd definitely throw a 3×3 contact at Domi, I'd also give him limited trade protection to make him more likely to bite on it as well

I like Roy as a player and partner for MO, I like him way less at 6M a year though
I think we only have the money for one top 4 guy and a fringe top 4, bottom pair type
Maybe we can trade for one of those depending on how you feel about Liljegren or Robertson

We should be able to find some cheap penalty killers, or start developing some at the very least

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They can't afford any bad long-term $5-$6 million contracts. That's where a long-term deal to Bertuzzi could be a dicey proposition.

I actually think the shorter term may be a bigger hindrance than longer term. 5-6 years from now is a lot of cap growth to smooth over less attractive deals.

The hardest part with Bert is fitting him next season if they also want 2-3 new D men.

5 mil is also a bit pricey for 20 goals this season. But he's clearly finishing better than he started on the first 30 games. I'd be curious what term he'd want to get his deal down to 4.5-4.9 aav

Reactions: TMLAM34

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I actually think the shorter term may be a bigger hindrance than longer term. 5-6 years from now is a lot of cap growth to smooth over less attractive deals.

The hardest part with Bert is fitting him next season if they also want 2-3 new D men.

5 mil is also a bit pricey for 20 goals this season. But he's clearly finishing better than he started on the first 30 games. I'd be curious what term he'd want to get his deal down to 4.5-4.9 aav
I'm pretty certain the Leafs will resign Domi because that poor bastard is probably tired of bouncing from team to team. But Bertuzzi has no loyalty to Toronto, and if he has a strong playoffs he may price himself out of this market.

Reactions: Kurtz and Menzinger

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Look at the number he got for this season after having pedestrian offensive numbers last season. I'm sure there is a team that will give him term at $5 million.
Feels like the more seasons like this year and last year, the more his value drops. I assume he was paid to get back closer to his 30 goal season

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Feels like the more seasons like this year and last year, the more his value drops. I assume he was paid to get back closer to his 30 goal season
Agreed. After this season, unless somehow he goes into playoff god mode, I'd value him at less than Domi... and I think Domi should start with a $3.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Can't think of any scenario where we bring Bert back. We're strongest on the wing, especially if Domi is back and moves back there. We need a #3 C, a couple of dmen, maybe a goalie upgrade. Spending $5m+ on Bert is just not feasible.

Reactions: Fogelhund

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Been more focused on the Euro UFA pool myself, but as far as NCAA UFAs

May be near the top of the list, IMO.
6’4, 20 year old center… Can’t go wrong there…

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
6’4, 20 year old center… Can’t go wrong there…
The style of play is also appealing and very direct with quite an edge; look at the PIMS from the USHL.

He may very well stay another year, and while I'm cautious when it comes to recruiting Americans up here, I'd hope while other teams are busy chasing Graf, they can get the jump on others like Veremyev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad