Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2024 (buy low, sell high) - poll added (3/8/24)

What grade do you give BMac for the TDL?

• A

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • B

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
This makes sense. Unfortunately, BMac is likely to re-sign him for 2 x 4.5m. I would like Patches to return, but somewhere in the range you are speaking.
You are probably right, and this reality makes me sad. He's no where close to 4.5m with his current performance and at 35 y.o. will just keep declining.

Reactions: Capitals40

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Were you really expecting MacLellan to build the first line of the future at the deadline by trading away a handful of UFAs? It sounds like you’re grading MacLellan’s overall performance from the last couple years, not for specifically this deadline.
No, he met my expectations of getting a bunch of low worth assets, thus high C, low B. He didn't in any way exceed what I would've expected from even a mildly competent GM.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I will wait to see how the season ends. If we somehow make the playoffs which is still in play its an A+. If we are the last team out I'll go B. Call me crazy but I think we have the horses to get in and I was on the red tank most the season.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
No, he met my expectations of getting a bunch of low worth assets, thus high C, low B. He didn't in any way exceed what I would've expected from even a mildly competent GM.
Then why talk about rebuilding the top line in the context of grading his deadline performance?

Also, you expected positive assets for Kuzy? After he passed through waivers I thought they’d have to buy him out.

I think some people have different interpretations of the trading system. I interpreted it like a grade in a class - if you get it right on every problem and make no mistakes you get an A.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
B+

- I really liked the returns for Mantha and Edmundson.

- Kuznetsov trade, and actually gaining an asset for him. I would have happily paid that 3rd for someone to take him.

- I don't mind keeping Patches. It was obvious they were willing to move him for those few places he was willing to go. This propably didn't happen because the Rangers weren't willing to offer enough. They were low-balling teams on players with trade protection year ago at the TDL too. I'd assume at best it was a 4th rounder on the table, and might aswell just tell the Rangers to f*** off in that case.

- Slight minus that we didn't use this opportunity to sell high on either Dowd or Lindgren.

- On that same note, slight minus that they didn't address their goalie situation.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Then why talk about rebuilding the top line in the context of grading his deadline performance?

Also, you expected positive assets for Kuzy? After he passed through waivers I thought they’d have to buy him out.

I think some people have different interpretations of the trading system. I interpreted it like a grade in a class - if you get it right on every problem and make no mistakes you get an A.
Because an A would be packaging what he got into something that gives him a shot at an elite player. Instead he got a smattering of meh. Thus a meh grade.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Its amazing how much of a tightrope GMBM has had to walk the last two years, although largely self inflicted. Trying to remain viably competitive while selling assets that would not be back (UFA's they don't want/can't keep). Ultimately its forced the kids into the lineup, and for the most part, the kids are alright.

Won't be a Cup contender again until we get a Backy/Kuzy type down the middle and none of our young kids look like that sort of player yet.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
One commonsensical thing GMBM said that a lot of the teams that were good last year still good this year have given up a lot of picks or prospects so less amount of teams to deal with.

Reactions: Raikkonen and g00n

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He said he would work to find Kuzy a new home and he did. And he helped finance it by retaining where he probably could have forced Kuzy to do a mutual buyout because I believe he had leverage. Good move for everyone and shows he cares about the people as well as results.
You can credit Bmac with the terms of the trade, but I don't think you can give him credit for "working to find Kuzy a new home".

It seems way more likely that Kuzy, Orlov, and the Canes were the ones who made this happen.

Waddell even said he called Bmac several days before the trade deadline and asked if he was willing to trady Kuzy. Bmac said yes and Waddell said he'd get back to him (after working through the Guentzel trade).

This all took place after Kuzy cleared waivers and reported to Hershey.

Reactions: Block

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Poll added. How’d we do?
Voted C, but it's more like a C+.

None of the moves that were made were objectively bad. But there was so much value left on the table, and they seemingly missed a golden window to move a couple guys. Hanging onto players for too long as been a repeated frustration during the GMBM era.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
C. I didn't strongly disagree with any of the moves, but I would have been glad to be on the other side of a couple of them.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You can credit Bmac with the terms of the trade, but I don't think you can give him credit for "working to find Kuzy a new home".

It seems way more likely that Kuzy, Orlov, and the Canes were the ones who made this happen.

Waddell even said he called Bmac several days before the trade deadline and asked if he was willing to trady Kuzy. Bmac said yes and Waddell said he'd get back to him (after working through the Guentzel trade).

Unless you’re in the room, you really don’t know…Bmac did great moving that guy…..

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

I mean, why not. It takes two to make a deal happen. GMBM was public that he would try his best to find Kuzy a new home. Said that waiving him to Hershey was the first step in the process. He took Waddels call. Sure had to wait for Guentzel but he made it possible and likely sold him on it. So yeah, GMBM had a large part in that and once again he did what he said he would do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad