Proposal: Trade a Goalie for a High Draft Pick

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We have two young #1 Goalies, and no #1 C. We don't have the cap space to trade for a #1C, nor do I think that Wallstedt or Gus have the value to get a Hischier, or Point, but I do think that one of them might have the value to get a potential #1C or a draft pick that would net us one. Maybe not a top 5 pick in this year's draft, but one in the 6-10 range that might net us a Dvorsky or Danielson. Depending on how the draft goes, would ARI consider trading the #6/Cooley. Would LA, desperate for a goalie, make Byfield available, and if so, would we want him?

I know that we want to keep both goalies, but do we really need to? Is trading one of them the chance for us to get the #1c(or a chance at) that we have never had in our history?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm all for keeping both just so that if we get to a point after Gus' next contract where he's looking for 7-8M+, we can trade him and have Wallstedt on a cheaper deal. Spending a ton of money on goalies is gross.

I'm also not sure we could get the type of center we want for a goalie, even one as highly regarded as Wallstedt. I don't see a team trading a Cooley type player, and even with LA/Byfield, if they're looking for a goalie it's probably sooner than Wallstedt can be a steady, reliable player for them, and they can get one without moving Byfield.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I wouldn’t include Wallstedt in a trade for anything below the 5th pick this year. If he’s included in a package deal, I’d want a primo return.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We have two young #1 Goalies, and no #1 C. We don't have the cap space to trade for a #1C, nor do I think that Wallstedt or Gus have the value to get a Hischier, or Point, but I do think that one of them might have the value to get a potential #1C or a draft pick that would net us one. Maybe not a top 5 pick in this year's draft, but one in the 6-10 range that might net us a Dvorsky or Danielson. Depending on how the draft goes, would ARI consider trading the #6/Cooley. Would LA, desperate for a goalie, make Byfield available, and if so, would we want him?

I know that we want to keep both goalies, but do we really need to? Is trading one of them the chance for us to get the #1c(or a chance at) that we have never had in our history?
Yes? Both goalies are "unproved" - Gus less so but..
Say we trade one and the other flops?
We trade one and the pick flops?

Why not just keep both and use the picks we do have to pick a center that will make an impact?
Or package something else (plethora at D) to move up?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes? Both goalies are "unproved" - Gus less so but..
Say we trade one and the other flops?
We trade one and the pick flops?

Why not just keep both and use the picks we do have to pick a center that will make an impact?
Or package something else (plethora at D) to move up
?
Because we've never done it in the past successfully. Because even though we have a bunch of D prospects, none of them have a higher value than a 2nd rounder.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’d say we let things buck for one more season as is. Then next off season we look at trading one. I’d like to sell Gus high however I don’t know that his high point is a return I’d want vs bg overpaying for a worse then fleury back up. Wallstedt shouldn’t be traded. Unless we get gus on a longer deal and cheap he is off the table as nobody is offering up a higher quality C prospect for him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because we've never done it in the past successfully. Because even though we have a bunch of D prospects, none of them have a higher value than a 2nd rounder.

This is why I'm slowly losing interest in this team. I want to cheer for them but they keep skipping the part where they acquire the MacKinnon+Makar+Rantanen or the Kucherov+Hedman+Point or the Kane+Toews+Keith with every new GM. We're relying on being the one team per decade that wins by committee, two-way play and grit. Just not a good recipe if you want to see them win a Cup. I'm just anticipating another 10-15 years of the same type of stuff we've gone through the last 10-15 years because people don't want to stomach a rebuild that could last 5-10 years.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
This is why I'm slowly losing interest in this team. I want to cheer for them but they keep skipping the part where they acquire the MacKinnon+Makar+Rantanen or the Kucherov+Hedman+Point or the Kane+Toews+Keith with every new GM. We're relying on being the one team per decade that wins by committee, two-way play and grit. Just not a good recipe if you want to see them win a Cup. I'm just anticipating another 10-15 years of the same type of stuff we've gone through the last 10-15 years because people don't want to stomach a rebuild that could last 5-10 years.
We better swing big in FA in a couple years if we don’t make a move at the draft this year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Amen, brother.

I stopped watching the T Wolves sometime around the Kevin love era. Stopped watching the Twins regularly a couple of years or so ago, and even more so once they traded one of my fav all time players, Arraez. Still watch the Vikes, but the only have 18 or so games a year, so it's easy.
I know the way I am. Once i get fed up, it's really hard to get me back. This idea that somehow we can work harder than other teams(an approach espoused by Yeo and Dean) is not only delusional(Vegas and FL worked way hard than us) and arrogant, but simply hasn't worked.
My fav EPL team, Newcastle, a perennial loser, has proven what can be done with a strong leadership, and inspirational coaching.

I hope i can hang on for another two years, but for me it's more of an emotional choice than a logical one.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Amen, brother.

I stopped watching the T Wolves sometime around the Kevin love era. Stopped watching the Twins regularly a couple of years or so ago, and even more so once they traded one of my fav all time players, Arraez. Still watch the Vikes, but the only have 18 or so games a year, so it's easy.
I know the way I am. Once i get fed up, it's really hard to get me back. This idea that somehow we can work harder than other teams(an approach espoused by Yeo and Dean) is not only delusional(Vegas and FL worked way hard than us) and arrogant, but simply hasn't worked.
My fav EPL team, Newcastle, a perennial loser, has proven what can be done with a strong leadership, and inspirational coaching.

I hope i can hang on for another two years, but for me it's more of an emotional choice than a logical one.
Oddly enough, kinda feels like the wild will never leave mediocrity and the grit mindset because it sells tickets. Even though we wanna see fast paced skilled hockey much more for whatever reason the past two decades they just don’t wanna shoot for it. I somewhat blame the coaching choices.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Amen, brother.

I'll say, when I moved to Arizona, I started following their teams, and while it's not all sunshine and rainbows (okay it's actually a lot of sunshine to be fair), the Suns are perennial contenders right now, the Diamondbacks are on the upswing after a rebuild, and the Coyotes are trying a real rebuild right now too. It's nice to see that instead of just perpetual mediocrity. I was never a big football or basketball fan in Minnesota, but having a team like the Suns makes it a lot easier to follow because they're going to contend. Going through a rebuild makes watching the Diamondbacks and Coyotes a hopeful venture because you can see the potential the future holds with all their young top end talent they're acquiring. It's actually about trying to build a talented team that can win, it's not all about character and grit and just trying the hardest.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Goalie market is so oversaturated that we won’t get full value for Gus or Jesper. If it weren’t so, id be more in favor of selling Gus now

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oddly enough, kinda feels like the wild will never leave mediocrity and the grit mindset because it sells tickets. Even though we wanna see fast paced skilled hockey much more for whatever reason the past two decades they just don’t wanna shoot for it. I somewhat blame the coaching choices.

That's why, at this point, I'm thinking to myself, is it ACTUALLY an ownership thing? Those kinds of values bleed down from the top. The owner is going to hire a GM who agrees with him. The GM is going to hire scouts and coaches that agree with him. You can tell there was a paradigm shift when Leipold bought the team, and now through two GM's (and actually even Fenton wasn't rebuilding so much as he was retooling, but at least he was taking chances on high skill players like Fiala and Donato) and several coaches, it's the same stuff over again, with the same owner. Is Leipold actually interested in building a winner if it means sacrificing a little bit of money in the short term? Is he willing to try something different to win a Championship? Or does he have a comfort zone he's not willing to leave. His money, so it's not like I can expect anything different, but it would still be disappointing if that's what's going on.

But I'll stop derailing this thread now.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im still very positive on our teams direction once we're out of cap h3ll. keep gus & wally the beer goalie; lets say faber improves from here to start adding points on top of stellar D; a pair of our D prospects force their way on the big club and last but not least ohgren or yurov or maybe this years 1st turns into another goal scorer plus we land a ufa C the second cap h3ll is over and we've got a h3llava team! ps even better scenario rossi or marat turns into a #1C!

Reactions: MNRube

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
That's why, at this point, I'm thinking to myself, is it ACTUALLY an ownership thing? Those kinds of values bleed down from the top. The owner is going to hire a GM who agrees with him. The GM is going to hire scouts and coaches that agree with him. You can tell there was a paradigm shift when Leipold bought the team, and now through two GM's (and actually even Fenton wasn't rebuilding so much as he was retooling, but at least he was taking chances on high skill players like Fiala and Donato) and several coaches, it's the same stuff over again, with the same owner. Is Leipold actually interested in building a winner if it means sacrificing a little bit of money in the short term? Is he willing to try something different to win a Championship? Or does he have a comfort zone he's not willing to leave. His money, so it's not like I can expect anything different, but it would still be disappointing if that's what's going on.

But I'll stop derailing this thread now.
I do agree I think it may be an ownership issue. Unwilling to rebuild is a trickle down effect. Makes you wonder if good young coaches are told no because they would want to change too many things that doesn’t bode well with the regime so it’s just keep finding the same old same old and sell tickets.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I do agree I think it may be an ownership issue. Unwilling to rebuild is a trickle down effect. Makes you wonder if good young coaches are told no because they would want to change too many things that doesn’t bode well with the regime so it’s just keep finding the same old same old and sell tickets.
The only vet coach the Wild have hired since CL bought the team was Bruce.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The only vet coach the Wild have hired since CL bought the team was Bruce.
I said young meaning under 50. Coaches willing ti adapt with the changing game that has become speed and skill. Getting the team out of this two decade long funk. I’ll allow evason to have one more year for the scape goat then I really hope he is gone along with all the assistants. Clean sweep. If it becomes worse I’ll accept that because it’s at least attempting to change.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I said young meaning under 50. Coaches willing ti adapt with the changing game that has become speed and skill. Getting the team out of this two decade long funk. I’ll allow evason to have one more year for the scape goat then I really hope he is gone along with all the assistants. Clean sweep. If it becomes worse I’ll accept that because it’s at least attempting to change.

Yeo was 38 when he took over, and Richards was 43.

Evason won't be gone until his contract runs out or the heat under GMBG's seat starts getting hot. I was done with Evason after the Playin series when he was outcoached and looked completely lost behind the bench.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Evason is the only rookie coach the Wild hired over 50, so that still doesn't line up.
I've been done with Deano for years at this point.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
One of our goaltenders + d prospects won't bring in a top 10 pick.
Agreed. If we could send either G + a B tier prospect for a 5 - 10 pick it's a no brainer and a GM that passes that should be summarily fired. Neither Gus or Wall are going to be the building block of that type of trade.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Too much goaltending!

Seriously, for cap reasons Wallstedt is the keeper. Not even sure the Wild can afford Gus next year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m not even sure what what pick Gus becomes the more valuable asset. Mid 20s? He’s not super proven as a starter. Would you rather have Gus or Edstrom? I’m leaning towards Gus.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I’m not even sure what what pick Gus becomes the more valuable asset. Mid 20s? He’s not super proven as a starter. Would you rather have Gus or Edstrom? I’m leaning towards Gus.
I'd rather have the Gus we had most of last season, but playing more games at that level, than Edstrom. I don't know that he can do that, and I also don't know that he can't. This is where our scouting team has to come in and make the right call.

I'd also prefer to hold off on moving a goalie until we know which, if either, of them can be the long-term starter. Imagine if the Kings had traded Quick because they had their goalie of the future in Bernier. Instead, they waited to see who has better, and while both were reasonably close IMO, they chose the right goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad