Movies: Toy Story 4

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm considering taking my 5 year old to watch this some night this week. She has seen the original, but not 2 or 3. Would she be lost?

Honestly i think regardless she’s gonna be lost. Lots of new characters, lots of weird time jumps at the start. It drags to a near halt after the setup before finishing strong.

I enjoyed it, and I’m taking my 7 year old to see it soon, but i think much of the charm will be lost on her.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So yeah, great movie. I found it a distant last place in the quadrilogy, but just because the first 3 are so effing good. Did not like the Forky character at all. Gabby and the Bensons were really good villains though.

Duke was such a good character and the main piece to my favorite moments in the film.

Almost ZERO involvement from the supporting cast though. As a major slinky dg fan i was kinda pissed at that.

Not gonna lie, i got teary almost as soon as it started and then a little toward the end. Compare that to 3, where i ugly cried. Badly.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Toy Story 4
3.25 out of 4stars

Identity, Purpose, Friendship, Closure. And of course laughs, fun, and adventure along this reality check ride.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Saw it this evening and really enjoyed it. Exceeded my expectations for sure
The ending was a stronger emotional impact for me than 3. Pixar is so good at making solid fun kid movies and then ****ing with adults emotions just enough to cut some onions for a second or two. Ingenious bastards.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Saw it today. My 4 year old really liked it. We liked it too. For some reason it didn't hit me with the feels like the others have. MAYBE the weakest of the 4, but still good and enjoyable. I'd have to see it a few times to have a solid feeling on it. I expected more with Forky based on the advertisements, but that's OK.

Reactions: TD Charlie

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
So yeah, great movie. I found it a distant last place in the quadrilogy, but just because the first 3 are so effing good. Did not like the Forky character at all. Gabby and the Bensons were really good villains though.

Duke was such a good character and the main piece to my favorite moments in the film.

Almost ZERO involvement from the supporting cast though. As a major slinky dg fan i was kinda pissed at that.

Not gonna lie, i got teary almost as soon as it started and then a little toward the end. Compare that to 3, where i ugly cried. Badly.
100% my take as well. Easily the worst of the 4 (did Estelle Harris have 1 line?) but still 8/10 from me. Really tells you how good the other 3 are.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
100% my take as well. Easily the worst of the 4 (did Estelle Harris have 1 line?) but still 8/10 from me. Really tells you how good the other 3 are.

I don’t remember her being shown in the movie at all, aside from a deleted scene at the end. That could’ve been at the end of 3 though cuz i just marathon-ed them all

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Honestly i think regardless she’s gonna be lost. Lots of new characters, lots of weird time jumps at the start. It drags to a near halt after the setup before finishing strong.

I enjoyed it, and I’m taking my 7 year old to see it soon, but i think much of the charm will be lost on her.

There was one flashback at the beginning. I doubt it would be that hard to follow if they’ve seen the other movies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It was a great movie imo. It had a little bit of everything and the ending definitely got me choked up. I just wish the original cast (i.e. Buzz, Jessie, the Potato Heads, Rex, Slinky, Hamm, etc) had more significant roles given what they've all established in the prior 3 films.

I didn't like how Bonnie neglected a lot of Andy's toys though given how Andy poured his heart out to Bonnie about how special they all were to him (esp. Woody) and that he trusts her to take good care of them, and in this one she ended up losing Woody and on multiple occasions, nearly lost the whole gang. I know she's like 5 years old, but still, the way she treated Woody and the squad in TY4 kinda put a damper on that awesome TY3 ending imo at least.

If I had to rank the four movies I'd probably say:

3 > 2 > 1 > 4

Thing is, all of them were great movies which made it hard for me to rank, but I do believe this one was the "weakest" of the four, which isn't a knock on TY4 at all, it just shows how successful this franchise is overall.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just saw this with my wife tonight. Overall it was an enjoyable movie, but it was easily the worst of the series. My wife absolutely love it, where I thought it was merely okay. It felt more like one of their holiday specials than a real fleshed out movie, except for the length. Every character but Woody and Bo get swept to the side, and I didn't enjoy that too much.

My other, minor criticisms are:

1) I didn't like the change to Bo Peep's appearance and the character was a little forced.
2) They ignored a lot of the "rules" from previous movies, like doing things in public or interacting with humans. Could be explained away by their familiarity with humans by this point, but still felt off sometimes.
3) The plot felt a little too redundant and I was never really sucked into it.

My favorite parts:

1) The animation is just top notch every god damn time.
2) Liked the Polly Pocket character whose name I forgot, along with the carnival toys.
3) The dummies were sufficiently creepy.

Would've like this more if it had come before Toy Story 3, obviously with a different ending, but still a solid and respectable entry in the series. Probably won't ever have a desire to re-watch it though, as the third one was perfect to me.

My rankings:

1 > 3 > 2 > 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad