Towes vs Lee

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
By the way guys...

This is a question between myself and the poster. If you don't know anything about Lee please don't try to make yourself look smart on the subject and say Toews just because you heard his name in the draft this year.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I Dunno, hard to compare. One is a very safe prospect whilst the other is more of a project. Most people are gonna say Toews right now, because his draft year was more recent, people know alot more about him and he is closer to the NHL. If Lee fulfills his potential then he is gonna be very good. He doesn't get the hype, but he is just as good a prospect as Staal, Bourdon.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
By the way guys...

This is a question between myself and the poster. If you don't know anything about Lee please don't try to make yourself look smart on the subject and say Toews just because you heard his name in the draft this year.

Just my $.02 - have to take Toews. If they both hit their maximum potential, Lee will probably be worth more trade value wise as a stud #1 d-man over a stud #1 center. But if they don't reach their full potential (likely no matter how much we deny it at HF)Toew's downside is a great all-around #2 center where Lee could end up a 5th/6th d-man.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Current state:

Although a strong prospect, its very unlikely Lee will be the best D in the WCHA.

Toews has a decent chance to be the WCHA POTY and is a year younger than Lee.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I guess the way I see it is that I've read Lee is a Leetch type of defenseman IF he hits his potential. It's hard to compare a d-man to a forward but IMO it's harder to find a good d-man than it is to find a good center. I won't disagree with anyone picking Toews of course, but I think if Lee hits potential his value is higher being a d-man.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I guess the way I see it is that I've read Lee is a Leetch type of defenseman IF he hits his potential. It's hard to compare a d-man to a forward but IMO it's harder to find a good d-man than it is to find a good center. I won't disagree with anyone picking Toews of course, but I think if Lee hits potential his value is higher being a d-man.

Lee is Wade Redden v2.0. Toews (to me) is Brad Richards v2.0. Who would you rather have? I think both are safe prospects in the sense that they will both are locks to be above-average contributors at the NHL level.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Lee is Wade Redden v2.0. Toews (to me) is Brad Richards v2.0. Who would you rather have? I think both are safe prospects in the sense that they will both are locks to be above-average contributors at the NHL level.

See there's a good example. I can see Redden having a break-out year this year now that he's the defensive "man" in OTT. If Redden hit's 65 points and does as good defensively as he did last year then a team in need of defense might persue a player like that over a player like Richards. Let's not talk about Richards cups and things like that, just player skill sets.

Good debate. i think it comes down to what a team needs more. D or O?

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
I'm a fan of Lee and even at the time I thought the Sens made a great selection with Lee even at the #9 spot. It's also hard to believe that Eaves is currently ranked ahead of Lee on the prospect depth chart on HF.

That being said, I think Toews is going to be an absolutely incredible player throughout his career and I wouldn't even think twice about taking Toews over Lee.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga

I think that Redden v2.0 is entirely possible for Lee though I'd hesitate to say he will become that. On the other hand, I think that Toews compares more to Sakic . . . and I ain't talkin' Brian.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think that Redden v2.0 is entirely possible for Lee though I'd hesitate to say he will become that. On the other hand, I think that Toews compares more to Sakic . . . and I ain't talkin' Brian.

It was more of a style comparison than actual career projection, although I think Lee can be considered a strong candidate to be a top pairing defenseman.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm a fan of Lee and even at the time I thought the Sens made a great selection with Lee even at the #9 spot. It's also hard to believe that Eaves is currently ranked ahead of Lee on the prospect depth chart on HF.

That being said, I think Toews is going to be an absolutely incredible player throughout his career and I wouldn't even think twice about taking Toews over Lee.

I don't see why having Eaves ahead of Lee is an issue at all. Eaves scored 20 goals last year in 59 games without seeing top line minutes or power play time.

Lee's upside might be comparable or possibily even higher than Eaves, but it's really a case of a bird in the hand with Eaves...he is already a top 9 forward with the Sens and is not far from establishing himself as a top 6 forward.

While the Lee comparison to Redden is similar in style, Lee is much more of a project at the same age. Redden was playing in the NHL with Ottawa at the same age as Lee right now, and Lee is still likely a few years away.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Toews is a much safer bet....but if Lee ever comes close to hitting his potential (which is huge by the way) then it'll be interesting. Lee is the typical Sens prospect in that he'll fly under the radar then step into a big role as Eaves/Meszaros have done.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I don't think either are locks to be above average NHL players. They may well be but it is far from a sure thing at this point.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Current state:

Although a strong prospect, its very unlikely Lee will be the best D in the WCHA.

Toews has a decent chance to be the WCHA POTY and is a year younger than Lee.

Brian how do you feel about this quote?

928siouxmedia.jpg

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

See, the only problem with this is that if Toews was the American and Lee was Canadian, you'd be saying Toews is Eric Staal V2 and Lee is Aaron Ward V2...

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Lee should be a steady defenseman in the pros. But I don't think he will be a dominating overall defenseman.

I think Toews has a much better chance to be a real difference maker as a pro.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Admittedly I've only seen Lee a few times (WJCs and a couple North Dakota games that were on TV), but nothing he's done has made me think he was worthy of a top 10 pick, I would rank him below Johnson, Bourdon, Staal and Parent out of his draft year alone prospects wise.

Toews by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad