WC: Tournament All-Star Team & Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Why didn't Varly win? He didn't lose a game and had a better save % and goals against than Laco

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I thought Popov should be there in place of Zätta, but then Thoresen and Popov play the same position...

Zetterberg had 15 points in 8 games, why wouldn't he deserve it.

Its an individual honor not a team one.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I thought that Sekera/Holös maybe deserved to be there, but I don't disagree with either Chara or Nikulin. Faulk was good, too. These three forwards stood out, no doubt about that. Laco/Varlamov toss-up. In the end Laco deserved it for putting up equally good numbers in front of a worse team, and a heavy workload.

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
IMO varly was a lil bit better then laco. laco brouth slovakia to the final but in the most important game of the tourney he was not really like an all star (5 goals against is a lot). but its okay - 1 slovak has to be an all star. great tournament!!! gratulations for the 2nd place :handclap: you guys played an unbelieveable tournament!!!!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goalie:
Jan Laco (Slovakia)

Defense
Zdeno Chara (Slovakia) Ilya Nikulin (Russia)

Forwards
Evgeni Malkin (Russia) Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) Patrick Thoresen (Norway)

I would pick the same guys except Laco.

Varlamov was the best goalie.

My 2nd All-Stars:

Jan Laco
Duncan Keith - Justin Faulk
Loui Eriksson - Mikko Koivu - Ales Hemsky

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Glad that I called it from the beginning but Russia were on a different level to everyone else and once Canada and USA were eliminated, albeit earlier than people predicted, Russia had it in the bag.

Malkin was on fire.

SkilledViking

May 12, 2012
Oslo
I thought that Sekera/Holös maybe deserved to be there, but I don't disagree with either Chara or Nikulin. Faulk was good, too. These three forwards stood out, no doubt about that. Laco/Varlamov toss-up. In the end Laco deserved it for putting up equally good numbers in front of a worse team, and a heavy workload.

I also think Holøs deserved it. He was a huge contributor to Norway in this tournament. But as you say its not like Chara or Nikulin didn't deserve it. A good selection, and fun to see a norwegian on the allstar team:) I have to be honest and say that I didn't expect that, because he is from a small hockeynation. But im thrilled that he was picked:handclap:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
On the big ice, Nikulin is a top20 defenseman in the world.

He hasn't really proven himself on the NHL ice though.

Schalkenullvier*

I thought Popov should be there in place of Zätta, but then Thoresen and Popov play the same position...

Zetterberg and Malkin too? Malkin is listed as wing here, so they easily could have pushed Popov into it if they wanted to.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
How was Duncan Keith not selected? Lead team Canada in scoring and ice-time, lead the tournament in defensemen scoring and was among the leaders in +/-.

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
How was Duncan Keith not selected? Lead team Canada in scoring and ice-time, lead the tournament in defensemen scoring and was among the leaders in +/-.

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

tough to stick in a quarterfinals loser when you have two captains of two best teams in the tourney both being also absolute defensive powerhouses.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
tough to stick in a quarterfinals loser when you have two captains of two best teams in the tourney both being also absolute defensive powerhouses.

Exactly. I thought Jack Johnson and Keith both had good tournaments, but in the end it has to go to Chara and Nikulin. It is an individual award, but you can't ignore what their teams accomplished....this is especially true for defensemen imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad