Toughest AHL Team 2019-2020

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Which team has the toughest roster in the AHL this year? Who on the team is willing to fight and hit? The AHL is a little bit rougher than the NHL and there are still usually a few pretty tough teams. I'll nominate this years version of the Toronto Marlies.

Forward - Garrett Wilson, Darren Archibald, Mason Marchment, Rich Clune, Tyler Gaudet, Egor Korshkov, Kenny Agostino, Hudson Elynuik, Pierre Engvall, Justin Brazeau

Defence - Ben Harpur, Kevin Gravel, Kristians Rubins, Mac Hollowell

All 3 goalies are 6'3 or 6'4 if the rare line brawl breaks out. When Hyman and Dermott come back to the Leafs there will be a group of softer players filtering down to the Marlies. But, hopefully with injuries/trade/waivers most of the grittier guys are in every night.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
They are a big team on paper; many them playing finesse brand of game.

Ben Harpur has developed into a borderline heavyweight who can hang with most.

Garrett Wilson is a solid light-heavyweight/middleweight.

Darren Archibald is a gamer. More of an average middleweight who will fight outside of his weightclass.

Mason Marchment is intriguing. He has the strength and size, but it remains to be seen whether he willing to fight on consistent basis.

Clune is a little ball of hate. I do not see him playing too often.

In the grand scheme of things, it is a tough team. The teams out west tend to be the toughest with Gazdic, Peluso, and Gallant.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They are a big team on paper; many them playing finesse brand of game.

Ben Harpur has developed into a borderline heavyweight who can hang with most.

Garrett Wilson is a solid light-heavyweight/middleweight.

Darren Archibald is a gamer. More of an average middleweight who will fight outside of his weightclass.

Mason Marchment is intriguing. He has the strength and size, but it remains to be seen whether he willing to fight on consistent basis.

Clune is a little ball of hate. I do not see him playing too often.

In the grand scheme of things, it is a tough team. The teams out west tend to be the toughest with Gazdic, Peluso, and Gallant.
That is what is unique with this roster. The number of 6'3+ players is quite high. You touched on the main fighters. A guy like Korshkov is someone I'm interested in watching as well, he is very physical with the body. I'm curious to see if he can be convinced to go a few times or if he isn't given a choice because of the game he plays. Even when Marchment doesn't fight he is overwhelming physically to the point where even if he doesn't want to there will be times where he might not have a choice either. So far in NHL preseason and in the opening game they've used Clune, I'm hoping he sees more time this season, though he's an extra at full health. The team kind of has an old school feel to me in comparison to recent team makeups, it looks more like an early 2000's AHL team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad