Tough Smartphone Issue, not sure how to resolve

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Hey all i'm usually pretty self sufficient with smartphone stuff but some new Google updates and a particular problem with my GF's device is throwing me for a loop.

I gave my GF a Moto G3 3rd gen for christmas. She really liked it but didn't complete the initial setup so never linked her gmail to the device.
She had a run in with her ex boyfriend who stole her phone and held it for ransom for a few weeks before giving it back. In that time though he had been using it with his own sim card and had setup his gmail on the device. He is gone from the country now and we know of no way to contact him. He had also put a number lock on the phone.

No problem, I thought, i'll just reset the device. So I did a reset and wiped all info.

Upon startup it says:
"Verifying your account"
"This Device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on the device"

This is not possible as the only Google account ever on the device was the ex boyfriend's and he's gone.

So I checked online and figured "Okay well I'll just re-flash the ROM"...

So I found the base ROM for the phone in Canada and successfully flash it using ADB fastboot.

Turns out that even with the cache and accounts on the device cleared the restart still has the same request.

So I thought. "Well Maybe I can load a custom ROM"...
So I went to work trying to unlock the bootloader to root the device.

I got the code from Motorola and tried to unlock and got the message: "<bootloader> Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Options FAILED

Which I cannot do because I cannot see a way into the device to unlock the dev options now.

Still checking around XDA. Any thoughts? Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad