total waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
What a waste of time.

The PA will not negotiate anything related to linkage, period end of story. So this is all a waste of time ? Anyone here think the NHL has come this far only to change their mind on linkage ? I sure don’t.

Whether you agree with the PA's position, and I know many don’t. The fact is they are going to be stubborn and reject all proposals that have linkage. I hope no one is getting their hopes up that there will be a season.

So, who here thinks the NHL will capitulate ? I sure don’t. The NHL will be back when one side completely capitulates. Im voting that doesn’t happen until 2006. Its going to cost the PA jobs and its going to cost the NHL franchises and neither side cares enough to give in a little today.

What a bunch of bafoons. If the NHL had taken a different negotiating tactic, the players would probably be willing to throw BG overboard, but instead the players have been galvanized in opposition to Bettman.

You don’t want a cap ? No problem, we arent offering a cap, we are demanding a triple cap.

DR

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
DR said:

What a bunch of bafoons. If the NHL had taken a different negotiating tactic, the players would probably be willing to throw BG overboard, but instead the players have been galvanized in opposition to Bettman.

If the players had realized that they are not going to win this fight they would have taken the owners best offer and make good money.

Instead they are most likely to get even less money and will lose 5-10% of their jobs.

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
What the hell is a triple cap? The owners offered a cap at 42 million. A salary cap is a salary cap. You can't have three of them.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
let them go through the motions. at the least, maybe they'll make some start on settling somethign for the start of next year.
they're gonna cancel the season after the weekend anyway, so who cares if they meet for a couple days. it can't hurt can it?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If both sides were really willing to stand their ground, they would of cancelled the season weeks ago...at least IMO

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the NHLPA would propose a hard cap of say...42M...not linked to revenue or anything else...just a flat 42M...no exceptions...I think the owners would jump on it. Unfortunately, the players are screaming 'We will never play under a cap'.

I have always thought that linkage was merely something the owners proposed to make a hard cap look like the better alternative.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
wazee said:
If the NHLPA would propose a hard cap of say...42M...not linked to revenue or anything else...just a flat 42M...no exceptions...I think the owners would jump on it. Unfortunately, the players are screaming 'We will never play under a cap'.

I have always thought that linkage was merely something the owners proposed to make a hard cap look like the better alternative.

Exactly. If the nhl said "$45 mil hard cap, $35 mil floor", it would have been over by now. I don't care about that linkage crap anyway. Those are fictional numbers created by the owners to fool the masses.

Crazy Lunatic

ScottyBowman said:
Exactly. If the nhl said "$45 mil hard cap, $35 mil floor", it would have been over by now. I don't care about that linkage crap anyway. Those are fictional numbers created by the owners to fool the masses.

You are saying the players would have accepted that? I sure as heck don't think they would have. If what you are saying is true and the players will accept a cap not linked to revenues, then there *will* be a season because theres no way the owners wouldn't accept that. I think they would have accepted a 55-60 million dollar cap to hand cuff the rangers, leafs, avalanche, stars, red wings, etc. Once you get a cap in a CBA its impossible to get out (thats what I keep hearing anyway) so I;m sure the owners would jump all over any type of cap with two way arbitration and worry about the detailes next time around.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I see no indication that the NHLPA would be willing to accept your offer. They are still dead set against a cap of any kind. Should they ever change their mind and offer your numbers to the NHL, the owners will accept in a heartbeat. But the players will not.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy Lunatic said:
You are saying the players would have accepted that? I sure as heck don't think they would have. If what you are saying is true and the players will accept a cap not linked to revenues, then there *will* be a season because theres no way the owners wouldn't accept that. I think they would have accepted a 55-60 million dollar cap to hand cuff the rangers, leafs, avalanche, stars, red wings, etc. Once you get a cap in a CBA its impossible to get out (thats what I keep hearing anyway) so I;m sure the owners would jump all over any type of cap with two way arbitration and worry about the detailes next time around.
i disagree .. the owners want linkage, not a cap. they just happen to know linkage works exactly like a cap.

if the owners thought this would get it done, why havent they offered it ?

dr

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:

Yes. I think the players would accept a cap in the mid to upper 40's. They don't want linkage because the owners are great at cooking up fictional numbers. If the owners took the average of all the payrolls last year and offered that as a cap, I'd be on the owners side. This linkage, revenue/profit sharing is all a sham by the owners to gauarantee them profits. Most importantly, I'd never trust their numbers.

Brent Burns Beard