Total Travel Per Season Stats?

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
This might not be the most appropriate place for this thread, but oh well, here we go...

I'm interested to know if there is anywhere I can find the stats on how much each team travelled in total for each season. This could be a total amongst all teams, or it could just be the totals for each team (I can add them together for each season).

I'm hoping to find these numbers for a project in a data visualization class, so I can visualize the grand total per season, mapped with seasons in which the schedule format changed, and perhaps team by team breakdowns as well, to see which teams generally travel the most, and what effect each schedule format we've had for the last [x] numbers of years was. I would love to go all the way back to 1982, when the divisional format first started.

My general searches have been fruitless so far. Any chance this exists somewhere? Cheers! :thumbu:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
West coast teams travel the most. Huge advantage playing in the east.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Not anymore, now it's just the Metro because Panthers and Lightning ****ed up the Atlantic division. Florida travels so much it's stupid.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Not anymore, now it's just the Metro because Panthers and Lightning ****ed up the Atlantic division. Florida travels so much it's stupid.

Distance Traveled by NHL Team during the 2019-20 Season

Here is this season (assuming completion)

Tampa is only so high because they played in europe this year. Florida is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of travel.

The division alignment is stupid for the Atlantic, that's for sure

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Distance Traveled by NHL Team during the 2019-20 Season

Here is this season (assuming completion)

Tampa is only so high because they played in europe this year. Florida is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of travel.

The division alignment is stupid for the Atlantic, that's for sure

I don't understand how Philadelphia is so much higher than the rest of the Metro. Pretty sure they play the most B2B almost every year too.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'm sure some team has it worse in the pacific, but I have heard a few times that Dallas is up there with the worse since they are a bit isolated in the central division. Plus when you go outside the division you again are having to travel a fair bit of ways. I can't imagine Dallas to Edmonton or Montreal is such a quick flight.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
The most interesting thing I find regarding travel is how much of an advantage it plays for attracting UFAs to a city.

I'm a Ranger fan. It's been said by many media members, players, former players, etc that they absolutely spoil the players off the ice. They stay at the nicest hotels on the road, they fly on a nicer plane than many smaller market teams, and the players have access to private chefs at home and the nicest restaurants in NYC on a moments notice. Then on top of all of that, they basically play roughly 9 less "road" games with NJ, Islanders, and Flyers all being day trips for the most part.

Reactions: BHD

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not so sure that's necessarily true. Road trips may be hard, but home games are always played against teams on long road trips as well.

That LA, SJ, Anaheim road trip was the nastiest road trip of the year for Eastern teams, especially when those teams were really good. You were lucky to come out with 2 or 3 points.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not so sure that's necessarily true. Road trips may be hard, but home games are always played against teams on long road trips as well.

That LA, SJ, Anaheim road trip was the nastiest road trip of the year for Eastern teams, especially when those teams were really good. You were lucky to come out with 2 or 3 points.
West coast teams travel way more than eastern teams. It’s clearly a disadvantage.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If all Canadian division, Canadian teams would be travelling triple or more, of any other division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad