News Article: Tortorella ‘freaked out a bit’ by open-air bench

Wetcoaster

Torts channelling his inner Mike Holmes - goes for a reno on the players bench area.

A kinder, gentler John Tortorella - the home handyman persona, eh?

Home Hardware should sign him up as a spokesperson.

There’s now a door when you approach the Vancouver Canucks’ bench from the locker-room tunnel, a departure from that open-air feel. Same with the visitors’ bench. First cell phones and now a door. The new bench boss has his fingerprints on this one.

“All over it,†he said. “It’s like I’m coaching in the stands. You’re practically coaching in the first row and I’m sure I’m going to piss off a few people. But it’s proper. A lot of things go on and a lot of things are said — especially if there are young kids (sitting in the first row). It’s just the intensity of the game. You don’t want that.

“I’ve never coached in an open bench like that — it freaked me out a bit.â€​
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/0...talled/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
two thoughts.

- plans on swearing like a mofo
- based on other comments, views the dressing room a a fortress of solitude

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Unless he got them to build a roof as well, I'm not sure why a plexiglass door is going to suddenly stop children from hearing him say mean things to the ref.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I don't know what that is. Open-air bench?

man-made-beach-here-is-a-big-of-green-field-blue-sky-and-bench-401423.jpg

Torts said "no that won't do."

Actually the space behind the players' bench opened onto the first row of the stands, so fans could reach over and help themselves to Gatorade. Torts said "bring your own beverages fans."

Or Torts cusses like a New Yorker which is illegal in Canada.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm having difficulty placing this door.

Can anyone clarify?

has he added a door between the bench and the hall?

wait... i just found a pic... i assume it's for that hall...

5200633429_ce6c4e9b8b.jpg

--- that's going to be annoying for the trainers and equipment managers...
Those broken sticks may not get replaced as fast now, heh heh..

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i'll need to see this in action to know exactly where the door is but...

does this mean the security guys and ushers who stand in the tunnel shifting from one leg to the other watching the game over the shoulder of the coach aren't going to be able to watch the game while getting paid?

shame.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
That is probably going to be annoying for the trainers and equipment guys. I wonder how it was in NY and Tampa. I thought all arenas had that similar set up.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
That is probably going to be annoying for the trainers and equipment guys. I wonder how it was in NY and Tampa. I thought all arenas had that similar set up.

Pretty sure at least for NY the players enter from the corners so no need for a door.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Torts probably anticipated the ringing cell phones of those stupid suits in the lower bowl. :sarcasm:

Ah the regrets of no longer being a STH in section 117 row 14, moving sucks if only for this reason.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
why does he need a door at his own arena? Who does he expect to be heckling him at Roger's Arena?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad