News Article: Toronto's Maple Laughs

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I changed the thread title to reflect it is an actual article and not just an insult being tossed out there.

I agree smith this probably wont end well.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Also, prior to two seasons ago, the Bruins were pretty laughable themselves. I feel that Boston fans are getting extremely entitled and arrogant when it was not all that long ago that all of the teams were laughing stocks. The Red Sox were poster children for futility. The Bruins won a single playoff series in the Fleet Center era prior to the Julien years. The Pats were a joke before Parcells/Bledsoe's arrival and the Celtics had about 15 very lean years before the big 3.

All franchises go through tough spells. Some are longer and harder than others.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Also, prior to two seasons ago, the Bruins were pretty laughable themselves. I feel that Boston fans are getting extremely entitled and arrogant when it was not all that long ago that all of the teams were laughing stocks. The Red Sox were poster children for futility. The Bruins won a single playoff series in the Fleet Center era prior to the Julien years. The Pats were a joke before Parcells/Bledsoe's arrival and the Celtics had about 15 very lean years before the big 3.

It's not even close.

The Leafs have finished first in their division once since 1967. ONCE!

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass

The B's have only missed the playoffs seven times since Jacobs bought the team. The Leafs haven't made the playoffs in the last 7 years. They haven't made it 15 times in that time frame either. If you want to talk about other teams then Tor history isn't so good either.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Toronto Make Me Laughs.. really haven't recovered sinse 93 when Gretzky got away with an easy highstick and went on to score the winning goal .. IMO

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
"During the 1978-79 season, Ballard fires popular coach Roger Neilson, sparking a near revolt by his players. Ballard reconsiders, but asks Neilson to return while wearing a paper bag to conceal his identity. Neilson comes back without the bag."

That's stupid, he had to have been joking.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
"During the 1978-79 season, Ballard fires popular coach Roger Neilson, sparking a near revolt by his players. Ballard reconsiders, but asks Neilson to return while wearing a paper bag to conceal his identity. Neilson comes back without the bag."

Oh if it's Ballard it's probably true. :laugh:

I don't know if any NHL team has been through such a terrible owner...

He's got to be up there with the worst owner in all of pro sports.

ripley

Nov 14, 2008
Oh if it's Ballard it's probably true. :laugh:

I don't know if any NHL team has been through such a terrible owner...

He's got to be up there with the worst owner in all of pro sports.

He banned Russians from playing at Maple Leafs Garden.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB

There were a fair number of Leafs fans wearing paper bags during his ownership, it would have been a pretty good disguise.

They just scratched the surface on Ballard, surprised they didn't mention that he took all the Cup banners down from the Garden and sold them. Some of the quotes attributed to him wouldn't be permitted on this site. I don't think he was joking in the slightest about Neilson and the bag...

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
That's the downside to having a captive market - all their owners have done (since Ballard) is treat the team like an unlimited ATM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad